Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Used unit suggestions

Hi all. I need some suggestions on a used double axle bumper pull that's easily half tonne towable. It needs to be easy to maintain and operate because I'm new to this stuff. It needs a good main bed and a decent secondary bed. This biggest help I can get is what brands are going to be reliable to a second owner. There's a lot of confusing info out there on which brands are actually crappy. Any input is much appreciated.
Nach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 04:28 AM   #2

Theyre mostly all the same parts slapped together. We liked our jayco, we like our fuzion. I think any maker on any day can put out a high quality unit or a total turd.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:07 AM   #3

Ditto Jshopes81 - depends on if the workers that build trailers are having a good day...or a bad day.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

travel trailers are not made to last very long and can crap out even faster if the previous owner didnt do good basic maintenance. I would look for one with aluminum framing, ducted a/c, good tires. check the dates on the tires and batteries so you will know if new ones will be an added cost to the purchase. roll out the awning to see if has tears or rot. a few other key items for us when shopping are a shower with a door not a curtain..full length bed (many are not)..tinted windows/daytime shades..no carpet..
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nach View Post
Hi all. I need some suggestions on a used double axle bumper pull that's easily half tonne towable. It needs to be easy to maintain and operate because I'm new to this stuff. It needs a good main bed and a decent secondary bed. This biggest help I can get is what brands are going to be reliable to a second owner. There's a lot of confusing info out there on which brands are actually crappy. Any input is much appreciated.
For a used unit, it really doesn't matter much how well it was built by the factory. The deciding factor is going to be how well was it maintained by the previous owner(s)? Some people buy crappy units and then upgrade the snot out of them. Other people buy wonderful trailers and do nothing to maintain them, keep water and bugs out, etc, etc. You want the former, not the latter.

When we were looking, I found that it's pretty easy to identify the good owners just from their craigslist/rv trader ads: they always show a picture of how they stored the unit (high quality cover, pole barn, heated garage, etc) and they always have a list of upgrades, usually starting with 6V batteries.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #6

I prefer trailers that are fully laminated with rigid foam board, and aluminum framing on all 6 sides.
This eliminates “crawl space” and “attic” cavities that utilize batten insulation. What’s really going on in these spaces? Is there any small leaks? Mold? Wood rot?
But, all trailers require maintenance, so a complete, and detailed inspection is crucial.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #7

I do not understand where all the trailers go in the used market. I will see 100's of new trailers on a RV Dealer lot and 15 used units. Then I will see 25 units on a consignment lot.

There just does not seem to be a very good selection in the used market IMHO.

Don't ask me where all the 2008 trailers are. I think they should still be around...but I don't see them anywhere?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I do not understand where all the trailers go in the used market. I will see 100's of new trailers on a RV Dealer lot and 15 used units. Then I will see 25 units on a consignment lot.

There just does not seem to be a very good selection in the used market IMHO.

Don't ask me where all the 2008 trailers are. I think they should still be around...but I don't see them anywhere?
I just sold my 09, it was in decent shape. If i were to guess, id say alot are probably totaled out by insurance companies over minor damage like a hole in the roof or something. Id say lack of maintenance catches up and repairs are more than the trailers worth so, someones not as careful with low hanging branches or their driving and.....pow, totalled trailer.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #9

If you have a storage facility near you, that would be a good place to start looking for all the used TTs that just seem to disappear. We used to live by one and 90%of the TT and 5ers never moved all summer.
Come to think of it, a storage facility might be a good place to look for a unit that someone is wanting to sell.
Pete
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #10

Agree, they are all sitting in storage. Many next to us sit there, and look like they haven’t been used in awhile considering the low air pressure in the tires. Think many buy one thinking they will use it more often.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:32 AM   #11

I've seen many older units on CL for sale.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:52 AM   #12

My local CL only has a few. Now the storage lots do have a bunch of older trailers. But again, there are 4 RV dealers near me and two storage lots. The RV dealers have 10 times more units than in the storage lots.

It seems to me that 90% of 10 year old
travel trailers seem to disappear.

I have 2013 travel trailer and it looks pretty much the same as when I bought it on the inside. The outside is chalking and needs buffed out and waxed and the trailer will look 90% as good as new.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #13

All excellent advice above!

Buying a 2 year old TT is a good strategy. That is just enough time to get all the crappy design and build issues corrected.

All TT's will require regular maintenance and repair. Some more than others. The cheapest TT will need the most care, but all can have significant issues. If you don't do it yourself, it will cost to have others do it for you.

Check this old post for suggestions:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-value-quality-brand-443427-2.html

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #14

in my area a lot of hunters and ranchers buy used trailers for their hunting leases and for extra housing on the ranch. one group of guys I know has created a whole village of old airstreams on their lease in west Texas. south of DFW there is a Ducks Unlimited village of old trailers that even has a grass landing strip.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote