Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #1

Using Truck Scales ?

Hello All
Been wanting to get my TT to the truck scale for some actual weights, tried the bath scale set up to try to get a tongue weight, but can't believe the results of 900 #.
From watching you tube, it seem the scales are in three parts, the main thing i want is total trailer weight and tongue weight. I can see how to get truck and then trailer weight, but how about tongue weight only ????
Any idea how patient the people at truck stops are with newbies like me ??

Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	98742  
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

Go to a scrap yard or a dump with a scale to weigh camper and at rv dealers they have a little scale that goes on the cup of a jack to weigh tongue weight I asked them to use it on mine when I bought it

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure if i am thinking right, but wouldn't you weight just the truck first ( no trailer hooked up ) then hook up the trailer to the truck. Drive just the truck back on scale but leave the trailer off the scale. Subtract empty weight of truck from truck weight with trailer hooked up.

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

While picking up our unit from Camping World Jacksonville Fl. from some warrentee work, i asked if they could give me a tongue weight, we don't have any scale to do that,hard to believe , but !!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

There's no need for you to try their patience. Just go to somewhere like a CAT Scale
Drive onto the scale with your front axle on the first scale, your rear axle on the second scale and your trailer on the third scale. This will obviously give you your total weight. Drive off the scale and unhook your trailer. Go back on the scale with your truck alone, and tell them you want a re-weigh, which will cost less than the initial $10 or so, for the first weigh.
This will give you your truck,cargo, people weight. The difference between this weight and the sum of the two axles on the first weigh in, is your tongue weight. Adding that tongue weight to the weight of the trailer on the first pass, is your total trailer weight.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pull onto scale so each axle (Steering, Rear and Trailer) are on seperate segments. Get weight

Drop trailer in yard

Return and get axle weights on truck only

Total truck weight WITH trailer = Total truck weight w/o trailer = tong weight.. This takes into account all variables. and is way easier than dropping trailer on scale,,,epically if busy.

You might want side to side weights on the trailer as well **IF** you are having handling issues.. If not do not worry about it.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

If you have a WD hitch do three weights. truck only, truck and trailer with WD hooked up, truck and trailer with WD bars unhooked.

This will then let you check all the weights.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 to everyone above..

as to the other question in your post about how patient will the truck stop be... I have used the scales many times at truck stops and have never had to wait for the scales and even after pulling up to go pay have never had any one right behind me to use them.

take your time and it should be no problem.

the ones I have used once you pull on the scales push the button and they will come on and ask you first weigh or reweigh. then they ask for the truck number and I just tell them number 1. they will then say ok pull forward and come in for your ticket.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
X2 to everyone above..

as to the other question in your post about how patient will the truck stop be... I have used the scales many times at truck stops and have never had to wait for the scales and even after pulling up to go pay have never had any one right behind me to use them.

take your time and it should be no problem.

the ones I have used once you pull on the scales push the button and they will come on and ask you first weigh or reweigh. then they ask for the truck number and I just tell them number 1. they will then say ok pull forward and come in for your ticket.
I haven't done this yet but I've done tons of googling on it One point people make is the operator pretty much always asks for a truck number (think about it, they're thinking your a semitruck that's part of a fleet) so just give them a number, it makes them happy.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
I haven't done this yet but I've done tons of googling on it One point people make is the operator pretty much always asks for a truck number (think about it, they're thinking your a semitruck that's part of a fleet) so just give them a number, it makes them happy.
As I said.. I tell them number 1. I am truck one of the fleet.
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 AM   #11

Many thanks guys, feel much more comfortable doing this now.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #12

Planned on having having all the WDH hardware on the truck ( bars and such ),but not hooked up, to speed hooking and unhooking. So, should the bars be hooked up and loaded ?????

The videos i have watched show the scales in 3 sections, but the two i have looked ( both CAT ) have 4 sections ?????

Jim
Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #13

You weight the truck by itself, you weight the trailer and truck hooked together without the bars providing tension but there. Then you weigh it again with bars engaged.

With these three measurements you'll know your truck weight, trailer weight, tongue weight and axle weights on the truck before and after WD hitch engaged.

You'll only be using the first three pads for truck and trailer and only the first two for the truck by itself.