Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #127

I am late to this thread but am thinking of replacing our 7 year old original (low mileage) TT tires with comparable Goodyear Endurance tires, simply due to the original tires' age. But I am thinking, even with high speed ratings on the GY tires, is the engineering of the TT itself a factor in travel speed? Do higher speeds put more stress on the TT components or am I overthinking this? Maybe this is covered in a different thread
GringoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #128

most st tires have a speed rating of 65 or a bit less..
Old 04-11-2020, 04:04 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoPete View Post
I am late to this thread but am thinking of replacing our 7 year old original (low mileage) TT tires with comparable Goodyear Endurance tires, simply due to the original tires' age. But I am thinking, even with high speed ratings on the GY tires, is the engineering of the TT itself a factor in travel speed? Do higher speeds put more stress on the TT components or am I overthinking this? Maybe this is covered in a different thread
Theoretically a tire can carry its maximum load capacity up to its speed rating.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:06 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
most st tires have a speed rating of 65 or a bit less..
Most newer ST tires have speed ratings higher than 65 MPH.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #131

Commercial Member

It is a fact that the load formula for ST type tires is based on an assumed max operating speed of 65 mph.

The High Speed test which is used for the letter coding is a test developed for passenger tires and is really just a relative measure of heat resistance. It is a 30 minute not 30,000 mile test so a tire only needs to be good at its load and the stated speed then the tire is considered scrap.

I suggest that people consider the speed symbol on the tire sidewall as they would the engine red-line in their car / truck. You can run that fast but not without doing some permanent damage.

When comparing "Truck tires" i.e. LT with TT tires i.e. ST type you MUST look at the stated load capacity as ST tires have a higher stated load capacity because they have an actual lower speed capacity as part of the load formula. Also the DOT testing for LT tires from 2002 is much more stringent than for ST tires from the '70's.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Yeah, but what about a consensus?

Wouldn’t having enough people who agree to disregard tire manufacturers recommendations, vehicle manufacturers recommendations and National safety regulations make it ok to use improper equipment?

NOPE!
Old 04-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #133

Commercial Member

Originally Posted by RVPioneer
Yeah, but what about a consensus?

Wouldn’t having enough people who agree to disregard tire manufacturers recommendations, vehicle manufacturers recommendations and National safety regulations make it ok to use improper equipment?

How would you feel about a consensus on having heart surgery if you just asked 9 people on the street and one actual heart surgeon?Since everyone has a heart, is everyone's opinion of equal value? would you just go with the majority vote?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #134

Just a question, are tire blowouts a problem on travel trailers and 5th wheels?

Are tire blowouts a problem on trucks?

The way I answer these questions tells me everything i need to know.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:57 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
You can reference Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire. These tires offer a sense of stability ...
I'll never buy another Carlisle tire after both tires on a new boat trailer basically disintegrated after less than 2 years and less than 5,000 miles.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #136

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Wonder if the "Blowout" were actually Run Low Sidewall Flex Failure or if they were Belt detachments?
This post explains the difference.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

I have not had a flat on my trailer since I switched to LTs.. 50+ K miles ago..my tires are now 6 years old and i have put 20k on them in the last 2 years..but I have been told my many that Sts were "designed" for trailers and LTs are dangerous..
Old 05-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I have not had a flat on my trailer since I switched to LTs.. 50+ K miles ago. My tires are now 6 years old ...
Plus there are more brands and sizes to choose from !

Forget letter load ratings or ply ratings. All tires have a maximum load rating on the sidewall.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #139

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Plus there are more brands and sizes to choose from !

Forget letter load ratings or ply ratings. All tires have a maximum load rating on the sidewall.

Correct. The main difference is that motor vehicles tend to have 20% to 40% reserve load while RV trailers tend to have less than 10% with a majority being in a state of overload when the tire loading is actually measured.

IMO there is a great tendency to jump to the conclusion that tires on RV's are "defective" because of the zip code of the plant where the tires are manufactured. I think this would be similar to claiming that all RV made in Indiana are also "defective" because we see so many people complaining of problems in their RVs that were made in Indiana.

While it is possible to change from ST type to LT type and have no problems, many times people making such a change tend to pay more attention to load and inflation of their tires than the average RV trailer owner.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinjunior View Post
This reminds me of the Car tire on a motorcycle issue.
Perzactly…. Going Darkside on the RV...

Tags
tires