Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

Using truck tires on TT

Anyone tried this? I've seen a bunch of reports of trailer tires blowing up on people. I had some heavy duty trailer tires develop bulges on a lightweight/small bass boat trailer after 2 years (Kumho 857). I've never heard of truck tires doing this, and they cost about the same.

To me, the sidewall thickness argument is tough to validate. Truck tires have plenty stiff sidewalls as long as you get E rated or better, I'd assume.

Just for reference, my camper is 4,500 lbs dry and around 5,500-6,000 lbs loaded.

If this is a bad idea, what is the group consensus on decent trailer tires?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

In my analysis LT tires were, were in the past tense, much better than ST 65 mph limit tires. Now if I needed trailer tires there are a much better selection of ST tires. Like Goodyear Endurance ST tires with a speed rating in the 80's. Even on most new trailers I am seeing a speed rating of 75 mph.

I would not hesitate to put LT tires Michelin XPS Ribs on my trailer or Goodyear ST Endurance tires.

There are other good trailer tires like Maxxis tires.

But to answer your question I would have no problem using 'E' rated LT tires.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #3

Ran LT tires on my 13,500 pound fiver for 12 years with zero issues. There are a lot of people on here that will try and tell you otherwise, but the fact is a decent LT tire will out perforn any ST tire made. That is as long as you have a tire load rating that matches your trailers needs.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #4

I would run LT tires if A. my current tires weren't practically brand new, and B. If they would fit my rims.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
In my analysis LT tires were, were in the past tense, much better than ST 65 mph limit tires. Now if I needed trailer tires there are a much better selection of ST tires. Like Goodyear Endurance ST tires with a speed rating in the 80's. Even on most new trailers I am seeing a speed rating of 75 mph.

I would not hesitate to put LT tires Michelin XPS Ribs on my trailer or Goodyear ST Endurance tires.

There are other good trailer tires like Maxxis tires.

But to answer your question I would have no problem using 'E' rated LT tires.
I didn't realize that ST tires were better than they used to be? Do the Goodyear Endurance have a decent reputation for quality?
Old 01-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #6

One thing I failed to mention IMHO. ST tires were junk because no one is riding in the trailer. LT tires are built to a much higher standard and are still less likely to explode than and ST tire.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #7

My understanding for NOT using LT tires on a TT is due to the sidewall issue - they are too stiff and won't flex appropriately when turning (I think this applies strictly for tandem axle setup). ST tires are designed to accommodate this flexing.

We have Carlisle Radial Trail and are quite happy with them. Maxxis are also highly recommended. The new Goodyear Endurance ST tire is relatively new (~3 years) so it doesn't have the track record of the others, but so far it has favorable reviews also.

Lots of good tire information on this link.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #8

I have had our Endurance tires for a couple of years. Approaching 15,000 miles of towing with zero problems. I even replaced the spare with an Endurance.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #9

Lots of high end trailers come with LT from the factory. I never use ST if there’s any alternative that will fit and rated for the weight.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

Another vote for Goodyear Endurance.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #11

Using truck tires on TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
My understanding for NOT using LT tires on a TT is due to the sidewall issue - they are too stiff and won't flex appropriately when turning (I think this applies strictly for tandem axle setup). ST tires are designed to accommodate this flexing.

We have Carlisle Radial Trail and are quite happy with them. Maxxis are also highly recommended. The new Goodyear Endurance ST tire is relatively new (~3 years) so it doesn't have the track record of the others, but so far it has favorable reviews also.

Lots of good tire information on this link.
I read just the opposite...ST tires have a rigid sidewall to handle the TT load versus LT which wants a more forgiving ride for the occupants. That being said, all three Carlisle Radial Trail, Maxxis, and now the Goodyear Endurance seem to be the best. Note, Maxxis is still only rated to 65 mph but still highly regarded. I would not buy any other ST tire than these three.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #12

ST tires are designed to blow-up and have loose pieces of tire rip up your trailer.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #13

There is a precedent about not changing OE tire designs to something else. You can find it in 49 CFR 570.62 - tires.

The entire (tire savvy) tire industry will not recommend such deviations without vehicle manufacturer approval. Sure, some tire providers will install them. When they do it, it makes one wonder why a reputable tire dealer would do it when it’s a clear safety violation. When an owner does it, it violates the same safety standards.

From the USTMA:

Replacement tires should be the same as the OE size designation -- or approved options -- as recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer. Never choose a replacement tire of a smaller tire size with less load carrying capacity than the OE tire size at the specified vehicle placard pressure.

From NHTSA tire safety and almost all vehicle owner manuals:

To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the tire information placard, the owner’s manual, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer.

The proper nomenclature for tire size is designated size. These are examples of designated tire sizes.

ST235/85R16 – LT235/85R16: The ST is much stronger than the LT.

Replacing a ST235/80R16 LRE with a ST235/80R16 LRG amounts to a load capacity increase within a designated size.

Below is reputable tire manufacturer supporting reference.

https://www.michelinman.com/changeSizeSpec.html
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:48 AM   #14

Yeah, but what about a consensus?

Wouldn’t having enough people who agree to disregard tire manufacturers recommendations, vehicle manufacturers recommendations and National safety regulations make it ok to use improper equipment?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires