Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #29

Been there, done that. First is to skirt around the TT to prevent wind and temps from entering from below. Remember bridge may freeze before roadway. You can do this with house wrap, insulation or bales of straw. Once wrapped the ground temps will try to keep you from freezing. Next it to take a light with a 100 watt bulb, turn it on an lay it on the ground under your TT. Just like the old well houses had light bulbs to keep them from freezing. I filled my fresh water tank, disconnected the hose, and stored it underneath the TT. Only use my drain hose to drain and the store them under neath. Have the local propane company set a large tank near your TT and connect to it. Have them check and refill as needed. You should double check them. Use your propane heater. It will distribute heat better throughout than an electric system. You could use a liquid filled or carminic electric heater during the days if you are home. It is easier to camp during cold weather than you think. We have RVd for weeks at below 20. We were in a 5er and did not wrap the underneath. I used a 60 watt light in the basement. I added a 60watt light in my truck. The ice on the windows wiped off with a squeegee.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2022, 09:04 PM   #30

I live near Roanoke, Sunday forecast low is 21, Monday low is 27 but high of 52. After that near freezing for lows and near 50 for highs for 7 days. A few years ago it was near 0 for a week and the creeks froze. Only point is to be prepared--we say if you don't like the weather, just wait a while, it will change.
I suggest keeping an eye on forecasts and be flexible/prepared to winterize when/if an artic front moves in.
DP Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:46 PM   #31

I have worn a tossle cap on rare super cold nights. The propane gas furnace makes it share of noise.

Those 2" walls are not real good at keeping cold out of the inside of a trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #32

Different heater needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
I purchased a TT a few months ago and have been enjoying it thoroughly. I'm taking a travel nursing position in Roanoke VA that starts at the end of November and ideally would like to live in the TT for the duration of the 13 week assignment.

I'm not very family with the weather in Roanoke but I've researched average low temps by month and the numbers I'm seeing for that area appear to be low enough to cause me some potential problems.

I've never winterized for storage, let alone tried to live in a TT in freezing temps. That said I am very handy and more than capable of doing any required maintenance or preparation. Most of the information I've found online focuses on winterizing for storage, but I will be living in the TT. I'm wondering what I need to do to make this possible and not break/burst anything and cause major damage. Staying warm enough is not a concern- my gas heater is more than adequate and there's always electric blankets and down sleeping bags, I just want to know if I am getting in over my head trying to stay in the trailer during the coldest part of the year with possible stretches of freezing weather.

I know heated city water hoses are going to be necessary. From what I've read, antifreeze can be added to the gray/black tanks. What do I need to do to prevent freezing of the lines inside the TT? Running an electric or gas heater while I'm at the hospital for 12 hours isn't something I want to do, so what is required?

I appreciate any advice forum members can offer. If it helps direct advice, the TT is a Primetime (Forest River) Avenger LT 16FQ.
Propane heaters use tons of fuel, throw off tons of humidity (windows dripping wet) and potential mold growth in the walls. Also these heaters are known to stop working when you need them most. If you can swing it have a good quality diesel or gas heater installed. They throw out dry heat, use very little fuel. Being a traveling nurse means moving a lot correct? So building an insulated wall around the camper underneath might be a pain to put up & take down but it would keep the TT a lot warmer. Like one other person said winterize the lines & use portable water supply. Shower at work or a gym or park facilities. Hope this helps
Rob
Fleetwood24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:17 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood24 View Post
Propane heaters use tons of fuel, throw off tons of humidity (windows dripping wet) and potential mold growth in the walls. Also these heaters are known to stop working when you need them most. If you can swing it have a good quality diesel or gas heater installed. They throw out dry heat, use very little fuel. Being a traveling nurse means moving a lot correct? So building an insulated wall around the camper underneath might be a pain to put up & take down but it would keep the TT a lot warmer. Like one other person said winterize the lines & use portable water supply. Shower at work or a gym or park facilities. Hope this helps
Rob
Propane, Diesel and gasoline heaters for RV use are all heat exchangers. The air inside the RV is drawn in, heated, and blown out thru an exchanger. There is no mixing with combustion gases. Combustion takes place outside and around channels where interior air moves. Combustion air supply comes from outdoors and the exhaust leaves outdoors.

No matter which fuel source, there is no difference in indoor humidity created. Truly, it is condensation due to temperature differences inside and outside that forms the droplets and increases humidity. Not the fuel type.
code2e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Very helpful advice from everyone! Greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to help educate me on the issue.

I'm originally from CA and live in GA so I'm not used to especially cold winters. I know Roanoke is not very far north, but its further north than I have lived before and I want to know what to expect and what I can do to prevent and damage to lines, tanks, etc!

My holding tanks are completely exposed. Will the stick on tank heaters be enough sans insulation? I will probably set up a skirt as mentioned with a high watt bulb running at all times.

All the supply lines are PEX and are inside the trailer. I plan on buying a heated city water hose.

It sounds like I need to insulate the ABS up to the waste gate valve? What is the best way to do this?

I only have one propane tank now- great advice to pick up at least one more along with a changeover valve.

As far as heating when I'm not there, what is the safest option? Running the propane heater at a low setting or using an electric heater? Using an electric heater while I'm not there is something I would never do at home, and I always turn my propane off at the tank whenever I leave the trailer but that seems like a safer option. So wondering what the safest yet effective method would be.
Instead of having to power an electric heater or heat lamp all the time, consider using a thermocube to control them by temperature.
That is just one kind, of which there are many.
Running the LP furnace while away is no more danger than running it while asleep IMO.
I would suggest you fill your fresh water tank, disconnect and store water hose instead of spending the money for a heated hose $$$$.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
winter in an RV

I spent a winter in ND in a 5 wheel in 1976. - 40f . Insulation is your friend. skirt the trailer insulate the windows and vents get a dehumidifier. electric heaters one underneath with a light critters like heat they don't like light. just need to keep underbelly above freezing. electric heat in trailer helps furnace. get a large propane tank 100lb and use your regular tank as back up needs to be on automatic switch over I had 80 gallon bottle mounted on my truck which helped as I was moving around several times and had to take tank to be filled. there is a clear stick on material that you heat shrink on the inside of your windows creating a dual pane effect that still lets light in. propane and electric are safe to leave running when gone just need thermoset set low and be shure not to leave something in front of the vents or heater. I had to cover my propane tank and put a trouble light against it to get the propane in to the trailer. below -40 the propane will stay a liquid. don't think you will have that problem. good luck
skyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
No matter which fuel source, there is no difference in indoor humidity created. Truly, it is condensation due to temperature differences inside and outside that forms the droplets and increases humidity. Not the fuel type.
Seems there may be some other opinions on propane. This article indicates that propane does emit water vapor as part of the combustion process:
https://education.seattlepi.com/comb...apor-4593.html

Our experience has been when using the propane furnace thereís always a lot of condensation inside the rv in the morning. When using electric heat only, far less, but some, maybe caused by exhalation. We havenít tried any of the other heating sources mentioned. We do keep roof vents slightly open and windows cracked to try to reduce condensation build up. I really donít know what works best.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Seems there may be some other opinions on propane. This article indicates that propane does emit water vapor as part of the combustion process:

https://education.seattlepi.com/comb...apor-4593.html

Our experience has been when using the propane furnace thereís always a lot of condensation inside the rv in the morning. When using electric heat only, far less, but some, maybe caused by exhalation. We havenít tried any of the other heating sources mentioned. We do keep roof vents slightly open and windows cracked to try to reduce condensation build up. I really donít know what works best.
The furnace is very different than a propane stove - as others have said the furnace combustion draws outside airbandbcombustion takes place in a combustion chamber that is vented to the outside.
We humans are a large source of moisture to our surroundings.
If you are getting water vapor from your furnace you are also getting CO2 and at risk of killing yourself and others.
A stove does create both water vapor and CO2 and should be used for intermittent use, with some outside air allowed to enter (cracked window) and NEVER used as a V source of heat... especially for extended times or when sleeping. If you do otherwise be sure to have your life insurance up to date so your beneficiary gets some compensation for your carelessness
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:55 PM   #38

Don is spot on. This article seems pretty definitive about what heat sources add humidity and which ones don’t: https://rvchronicle.com/heaters-and-...-add-moisture/

Maybe we just imagine humidity is higher with furnace running, but, it obviously isn’t. I suppose two geezers sleeping can produce a lot of moisture. But maybe it’s the cat. And maybe the best solution is to run a 12v dehumidifier. Any recommendations?

Tags
winter