Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #1

Vent fan options ?

Hi,
Looking to replace my original 4" vent fan(s). Not sure I want to spend $300. Is that really getting me something I need that a $90-120 fan doesn't? I might go as high as a Maxxair 00A04401K.

Does a $300 fan last that much longer? Less likely to leak? Noise? It's not just power. They also have lower power models in that higher price range.

Anybody get a $120'ish fan and end up upgrading to a $300 fan? Why?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions !
murbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2022, 02:43 PM   #2

There’s a big difference between those 4” fart fans and the true vent fans that fill the vent opening.

1) Quiet operation
2) The higher volume of air moved
3) Many of them you can reverse their direction (although I don’t know why you would want to draw air off the roof and pump into the coach.
4) Many have thermostatic control to turn the fan off/on depending on temperature.

Go visit some coaches that have the various different manufacturers designs and see for yourself their operation and what features best suit your needs/wants, and pocketbook.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:46 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We've had Maxxair fans on our last 3 campers. All 3 were quiet, multiple speed, reversible, and had a thermostat that would turn them on/off if we weren't there. Worth the extra cost IMO. Make sure you put fan covers over whatever you buy so you an keep them open in the rain.
Wiscampsin1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #4

No comparison in noise and air movement between the generic 4" plastic fans and a MaxxAir or Fantastic fan. I've got three MaxxAir fans in my ORV and they are awesome; very quiet and you can set them via remote for intake or exhaust and various % speeds. They work great and I have no issues leaving them running......the little 4" fans, I would only turn on when absolutely necessary and I turned them off immediately after as they were 10X louder......and probably moved 10-20% of the air volume at best.

Dave
Old 05-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #5

Our 1st coach had the Fantastic Vent in the dining area - it was awesome. And then it had the 4” fart fan in the bathroom that I replaced with the knock-off version of FantasticFan. It was OK and while it was quieter, it was no where near the FantasticFan.

Our 2nd and current coach has the same 4” fart fan for the bathroom. I haven’t done anything to it yet.
The living area vent was a static vent - no fan. I changed it out to the base model FantasticFan - 3 speed, thermostat control, reversing - I saw no advantage to having a remote (becuz if I can’t stand up and walk 3 steps to change something on the fan, then I don’t deserve having it).
The Rain Control option makes no sense either, especially when you’ve got the big shroud covers over the “lid/skylight”.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:11 AM   #6

Most of the 4" fans aren't really fans - they're noise-makers.

An entry-level Fan-Tastic or MaxxAir fan should suffice for your application.

All you really need is variable speed, and reversible.

The rain sensor, thermostat and remote control options are just fluff - they add very little to the basic usefulness of the fan.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:14 AM   #7

Lots of good advice above.

A Maxxair 00A04401K would probably be a major improvement over a 4" fan like I have. Reasons to spend more include:
Operator can't reach the controls. Remote "on/off".
Remote open/close.
Close when it detects rain.
Open and close based on temperatures.
Wind and Rain shielding.
Etc.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #8

Have had 3 Fantastic Fans in 3 different trailers. All were the basic fan. Bought the FF over the Maxxair simply because of made in US vs. China. Will buy another if this one goes.
Kipkeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #9

Great info. I didn't say anyone complaining about the lower end (sub $150) models.

I'll give the Maxxair a shot, before I eventually give in and get the Fantastic fan. lol

Thanks !
murbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #10

Fantastic Fan

We had Maxxair in our last trailer and the Fantastic fan in the current one-we've been happy with it so far. I prefer the Fantastic Fan. We had to have the Maxxair fan board replaced, Google "Maxxair green light of death" and you'll see what a pain it it.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:30 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the deluxe maxx air fan in my bedroom with remote and love it. However, this fan is so much cheaper;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put it in the bathroom and it's perfect for that application. There are some great YouTube videos on it. Check it out. The only negative is, since it does not have a remote, it can be difficult to reach the switch, depending on how high your ceiling is.
Teakmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:31 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Whoa, I said it's a lot cheaper. Maybe not, but still worth a look. Less than a year ago I paid $57.00 for this fan.
Teakmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:43 PM   #13

Vortex fan

I second the Vortex fan suggestion. I've used one for 3 years with no problems in my TH.
Tsugem64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:02 AM   #14

My old TT had a fart fan in the bathroom that worked “good enough” for 10 years but the one in our new 5er was worthless for clearing steam out of the bathroom (or anything else) so just today I replaced it with a MaxxFan Deluxe 06401K. At first I was disappointed it isn’t reversible but then realized it doesn’t need to be. The amount of air it draws in through the open windows is phenomenal, and the integrated cover with screen gives an amazingly low profile. Compared to the tiny fan it replaced it is amazingly quiet, even on high speed. I’m very pleased.

Tags
fan, vent