Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #1

Venture RV SportTrek

Hi
Any Venture SportTrek owners out there? I like the shorter models, especially the Touring edition with the bedroom slide out.

These appear to be an upscale TT with the Azdel construction and amenities.

Any owners or first hand knowledge? Thoughts? Do these handle well? Any unique issues?

Thanks
John
AKjohn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2022, 05:01 AM   #2

Venture SportTrek Touring 272VRK

We downsized from a fifth wheel to the Venture Sporttrek 272VRK since we are not fulltimers anymore. Size wise its fine for camping. Layout is pretty comfortable, although you can't get to anything with the slides in, so keep that in mind. The biggest initial issue we had was water leaking into the underbelly. There was a water line crimped and another one not connected at all. Which tells me that the dealer did not perform any kind of pre-PDI inspection. We should have insisted during our PDI walkthru to check the water systems, but we didn't so its partially our fault too. Guess we were too wrapped up with all the other water leak problems we found (walkthru was the morning after a heavy thunderstorm the night before).
Dealer got everything fixed finally and we brought it home. So far we have not had anything issues with anything else.
As to handling, this is our first travel trailer. We are towing it with a 2021 GMC Sierra 5.3L SLE. Had the Blue Ox WDH installed. Even with this WDH, I still feel like the camper is fishtailing some. So I don't tow it faster than 60 mph. Its worse if there are crosswinds. Its no where near as stable a ride as our fifth wheel.
For our purposes, it works fine for short camping trips. I would not try to fulltime in it. Hope this helps you out.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #3

1st off, thank you for your service sir.
Couple things going against you with that TT.
The weight, length and being an RK. Also IMO as a BO owner, the BO is not as effective as other friction based hitches.
Since you can't change the weight, length and floorplan then the obvious is a better hitch.
The TT is a good load for a 1/2 ton period, but going to an Equalizer 4pt sway hitch should improve the wiggle/waggle stuff you're getting.
A Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride would cure all of it but at a premium price ($3500+/-) Cheaper than a 2500 upgrade though.
Some other criteria to look at is your tongue weight, is the TT level, and is the truck returned to the correct measurements per GM?
I would make sure the TT and truck are at their optimum settings and make changes if they're not. Then if you still have the waggling issue upgrade the hitch.
Of course a 2500 would do wonders for stability but won't cure all the waggling. You just won't feel it in the truck near as much.
FWIW I have a Ram 3500 diesel and tow a 9600lb TT @ 31'. It waggles somewhat but the truck doesn't get moved around.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #4

Thanks

Thank you for the info. I do like the layout, but it is great to get some real world feedback.

Is the rear kitchen layout causing a tail heavy trailer? If so, then I guess one could attempt to load more up front in the cargo pass thru to compensate.

It would be nice to access the bath without moving the slide. But many of these designs just don't allow that.

John
AKjohn62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I have had more than one occasion were the slide(s) had to come in due to bad weather. Not being able to use the bathroom or fridge with slides in would be a deal breaker for me. My first two RVs were a Fun Finder & an Arctic Fox. I thought it was the cat’s meow that I could pull over and go to the bathroom and get another cold pop while on the road. Opening a slide to do that with a STT272RVK is just my cup of tea.

It is great we each can share different opinions here.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:10 AM   #6

KZ RV Club
Newbie to iRV2 but recently purchased a 2022 Sporttrek Touring Edition 343VBH. Really like the design but as mentioned the slides in make everything inside unaccessible, which is a big change from downsizing from our previous motorhome. We have F150 3.5LV6 with eco, which towing was not a problem for our initial 4 hr trip.
1Goodpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
I have had more than one occasion were the slide(s) had to come in due to bad weather. Not being able to use the bathroom or fridge with slides in would be a deal breaker for me. My first two RVs were a Fun Finder & an Arctic Fox. I thought it was the cat’s meow that I could pull over and go to the bathroom and get another cold pop while on the road. Opening a slide to do that with a STT272RVK is just my cup of tea.

It is great we each can share different opinions here.
I have a ff 210 wbs it is a 2011 model and I love it. I am on old man and sure am glad you can get to the bathroom with the slide in. Our kitchen is quite usable even with the slide in. Have used them often that way. Nice to make a lunch while traveling. Probably will keep this tt till the wheels fall off. I could never by a tt that you couldn't get in to a bathroom with the slide pulled in.

Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:25 PM   #8

I have a 2022 Venture Sonic 220VRB. Almost the same but slightly lighter. I pull it with a Subaru Ascent so I needed to stay below 5000lbs. It is right at the limit but as configured now it pulls great. I reduced the tongue weight by moving the battery inside (4x lithium now) and installed a Victron 3000VA inverter/converter in the area previously occupied by the outdoor kitchen which I removed. Subaru and the 220VRB seem to be a great combination. No problems so far other than the forgot to connect the P trap in the shower base.. dealer had change out the insulation..
I would buy it again at this point

Tags
vent