Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #15

Superslif, our Jayco was a 2017 model and we had zero quality issues with it what so ever. Just unhappy with how tight it was inside.
Triptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #16

I just requested to join the FB group for Sonic RV. Thanks! We are pretty satisfied with our current TT-- a Trailmanor. But we may want to upgrade to something bigger soon. There is a Venture Sonic floorplan with 4 rear bunks--it's the lightest TT with 4 bunks I can find. They have some great floorplans. There is a dealer a couple hours away from us, so that is nice.
momto4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #17

Sonic 190VRB

We settled on the Sonic 190VRB and going to pick it up on Friday. We selected this model for the large bathroom area and Murphy bed. The 210vrd had an awesome Lounge area, but the bathroom was too cramped for us....no room to dress in the bathroom and very little storage. And the bed was horribly hard and the ribbing on the matress was very uncomfortable. I wonder if the upgraded matress is better?

Surprisingly the Murphy bed in the 190 felt comfortable as it is memory foam. Well see how we like it after sleeping on it. I really wanted the 200VML but the dealer didn't have one in stock for us to see, and I decided we only needed a well appointed small travel trailer since the point of purchasing the Sonic was to have a trailer that was easier to travel with than the LQ Horse trailer.

Can someone tell me what size TV you have in the 190 and type of mounting bracket? And do you remove the TV before travel? The dealer recommended a 19 inch with non swivel wall mount and stated it should be removed, but if mounted correctly, why can't it stay on the wall?
19 inch seems awfully small, hoping a 24 inch will work.

Happy travels everyone.
ponytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #18

Husband says get a lockable bracket and you will not have to remove it during travel. I'm not sure about TV size but the 200VML fits at least a 28 inch TV.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #19

Construction Concerns

We are shopping for a travel trailer 21-26 feet long that weighs in around 4000 lbs. because our tow vehicle is a short wheelbase pickup. At the top of my short 7 trailer list is the 200VML, or at least it was. Last week I learned it only has a 1 year warranty on both the basic trailer and the roof. Most manufacturers have a 10-12 year warranty on the roof be it fiberglass, TPO, or EPDM. I sent emails to both Sonic and parent company KZ looking for answers. Neither responded which is further cause for concern. So I started looking further.

The cut-away in the Sonic brochure at https://www.venture-rv.com/brochures...s-Brochure.pdf deserves a little study. All the rafters are aluminum (good) except the front 4 or 5 are wood (not so good) for some reason (strength?). Next comes "construction board", an ominous term usually reserved for cheap kitchen cabinets that can mean anything from OSB to fiberboard. In any case it has to be very thin (1/4"?) and flexible to fit around the front and particularly the rear radii. Next comes the continuous sheet of fiberglass, which is a good thing in itself, were it not for the structure underneath. I don't know how it is all held together, since it can be neither vacuum bonded nor "pinched" because of the one piece construction of the front, roof, and back and because you cannot bond to "residential fiberglass insulation". As an aside, have you ever seen the soggy mess you have when such insulation gets wet?...nuf said.

So this all leads to the inevitable question of how good the roof structure is. 1 year warranty good? Most manufacturers have a roof ladder as optional and/or state somewhere in their literature that the roof is fully "walkable". Sonic does neither. I suspect if you put your foot anywhere other than on a rafter, you would poke a hole in the roof. Understand all this is conjecture, I have had no personal experience with the Sonic.

As others have noted, info and reviews on the web are few and far between on the Sonic, perhaps because it is fairly new on the market, I think. In any case, unless I can get some really good reliable warm fuzzies from somewhere, the Sonic sadly comes off the short list. The pinched sides concern me a little bit, but otherwise it appears to be a great trailer at a great price, with a long list of standard features. Ideally Sonic marketing would chip in and say the roof is warranted for 10 years, and you can walk on it anywhere you want to, but doubt that is going to happen.

Sorry this got so long, hope it helps someone other than me getting it off my chest and hoping for some answers.
druber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Hi. We're looking for a slightly bigger trailer, and have also been looking at the Sonics. I also like the Shadow Cruiser 193. Now you have given me something else to look into about the Sonics.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #21

We love ours. Come be a member of our Facebook group. You will see most love theirs too but there have been people who are not happy. The percentage is small though. Ours has not had to go back for any warranty work at all. We have had it since late May and have had it out for many weekend and one extended trip!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #22

KZ RV Club
Sonic roof

I have been up on the roof of our Sonic VRB220 3 times. All for additions of vent covers and AC capacitor enhancement; no repairs. I have been all over the roof and there was no deflection to the roof at all. It didn't feel "spongy" and I don't recall seeing any waves anywhere. We are still happy with the trailer and enjoy our travels with it.
Coveredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The paper work for our 167VMS is in the finance guys hands. Hope to hear something by Monday or Tuesday... Joined the FB group so waiting for an add there..lol
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #24

I'm considering purchasing a new Sonic 200 VML. Sonic is 3900 lbs. dry weigh and 5,200 lbs. GVWR. Don't plan to tow with tanks anywhere close to full. Probably in that 4,500-4,600 Lb. range.Just the wife and myself. I will be towing with a 2018 Nissan Frontier (Crew Cab, V-6, 4x4). 6,200lb. max. towing weight and 630 lb. tongue weight specs. All of the weights and numbers, as well as the length (compared to wheel base of truck), appear to check out fine, based on manufacturer specs. Would still like to have a comfortable cushion vs. maximums, based on my calculations. Plan to add anti-sway device and WDS, as well as trailer brake, which truck is wired for. My question for the group is, based on your experience, do you believe this trailer could be towed adequately by my tow vehicle. Thanks in advance for any comments.
LDM53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #25

KZ RV Club
Towing with a V6 truck

We tow our VRB220 with a Toyota Tacoma. It has the same capabilities/limitations as does your Nissan truck. We have a Pro Series RB2 WDH with sway control and a brake controller installed. I avoid towing in "D" and use 4th to be good to my transmission and we roll along at 100KM max..
Towing on windy days can be an issue with fuel use but we are in no hurry.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #26

Thank you. Do you typically empty your tanks before moving?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #27

KZ RV Club
We typically carry 4-8 L of treated water in the black and grey tanks to slosh about and clean the tank walls when we head out. Coming home we empty all the tanks.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #28

Thank you

Tags
vent