Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Vintage TT meet?

Just a quick answer, please. (I hope) We were eastbound from Portland OR yesterday and saw westbound, along I-84, little groups of sweet vintage 'teardrop' style and other '50-'60s travel trailers.

We wondered if there was a rally or other event for these little darlings. We are not travel trailer folks, but I knew someone on iRV2 could satisfy our curiosity.

Thank you in advance.

JoAnn
Spokane Valley, WA
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
It could be a local club meeting or some other not-overly-well-broadcast get-together. The only one I know of is on the other coast from where you are, and it's in September

Vintage Camper Rally in the Smokies - Townsend TN Campground

Perhaps someone from the vintage part of this forum will chime in with more info...

- Randy
Old 06-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

I saw those type travel trailers spotlighted on an RV show recently. Apparently, they get together pretty often. Have to say, the teardrop trailers are pretty cool.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks guys! It was nice seeing those travel trailers still in use. They did not look like 'show' rigs, but actively enjoyed, still playing with their folks.

JoAnn
Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #5

The show I watched said most people pick a theme for their teardrop and that is how they decorate it sometimes including repainting the outside. Fun stuff!
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the trailers were brightly painted and some with murals, it was probably a group of the Sisters on the Fly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
If one is not familiar with I-84, in some places the divided highway is really divided, and the combined speed was probably over 100 miles an hour

We usually cruise abt 55 and I presume the others about the same, or more, so I didn't have a long time to watch. They were in groups, 3 or more, sometimes spaced by 10 miles, but seemingly all with the same destination or event planned.

Some were original, a little faded. Some were repainted in bolder colors. I thought a couple had decals on the side - like you'd see on luggage back in the day (probably vinyl rather than whatever they used to be made of.)

Anyway, it was interesting and would have been fun to encounter them stopped somewhere for a better look.

We commented that in their day, they would have been the envy of the neighborhood in their state of the art simplicity for camping.

Sisters on the Fly, huh? Will have to bing that.

Thanks again

JoAnn
Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
BTW, WrongWayRand, our first camper was a VW Campmobile, 1963? Nothing fancy like yours, but a solid little rig. We called it our German Jeep, because it would crawl up muddy hills (remote deer hunting trips) where people with Jeeps had bogged down. There is something to be said for low power and low gears --

JoAnn
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ours is not all that fancy really, especially compared to some of the people we've camped next to. We've got electrical hookups, a sink, stove, etc., but it's all small and very 1970's . From what I've seen of the older split-window buses, the options didn't change that much over the years, only the amount of sleeping space and the look and feel of the appliances.

And I agree with your sentiment about low speeds and low gears - we may not be able to go more than 72mph (who would want to anyway?), but we can boondock places that few other campers could ever dream of getting.

- Randy

Tags
vintage