Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #15

A Toureg is a unibody vehicle. There's no traditional frame under it. My experience with unibody vehicles and towing is that there isn't a good way to mount a hitch. So you end up with an "oilcan" noise as the hitch puts stress on the unibody.

I wouldn't want a setup like that. I simply wouldn't trust it, and I'm a risk-taker.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #16

True. A Toureg is a unibody and the hitch is only rated at about 600 lbs. A half ton is only rated for a 500 lb hitch load without a WD hitch, but the body on frame construction can support a WD hitch.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
A Toureg is a superb tow vehicle. Much sturdier than a 1/2 ton pickup. Compare the axle ratings.
I don't doubt it's a decent tow vehicle for a smaller trailer, but with it's short wheelbase, meager 1239# payload and GVW 800# less than a typically half ton, it's no match for a 1000# tongue wgt 7k# TT
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamokadave View Post
I don't doubt it's a decent tow vehicle for a smaller trailer, but with it's short wheelbase, meager 1239# payload and GVW 800# less than a typically half ton, it's no match for a 1000# tongue wgt 7k# TT
I wouldn't tow a 1000 lb tongue weight trailer with either one. I'd step up to a 3/4 ton truck.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
A Toureg is a unibody vehicle. There's no traditional frame under it. My experience with unibody vehicles and towing is that there isn't a good way to mount a hitch. So you end up with an "oilcan" noise as the hitch puts stress on the unibody.

I wouldn't want a setup like that. I simply wouldn't trust it, and I'm a risk-taker.
Some uni-body vehicles are designed for towing. Some are not. Some frame under bodies are designed for towing. Some are not.
Uni-body designs can have higher capacity than frame under bodies in that they are lighter and more rigid than under body designs.

The technology to build large uni-body vehicles has not usually been put together. Uni-bodies require huge investment in building and handling equipment. The physical size and investment in such equipment is high. The volume of units produced is not large enough to justify the investment.

Uni-body towing structure requires mounting features at the rear of the body. A Toyota Camry has such a structure. Hitch equipment has been designed for the Camry. It works well as long as the user does not exceed design capabilities. I towed an appropriate TT all over the US and Canada for ten years. I never had any problems due to towing.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Some uni-body vehicles are designed for towing. Some are not. Some frame under bodies are designed for towing. Some are not.
Uni-body designs can have higher capacity than frame under bodies in that they are lighter and more rigid than under body designs.

The technology to build large uni-body vehicles has not usually been put together. Uni-bodies require huge investment in building and handling equipment. The physical size and investment in such equipment is high. The volume of units produced is not large enough to justify the investment.

Uni-body towing structure requires mounting features at the rear of the body. A Toyota Camry has such a structure. Hitch equipment has been designed for the Camry. It works well as long as the user does not exceed design capabilities. I towed an appropriate TT all over the US and Canada for ten years. I never had any problems due to towing.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Good points--there can be a lot of variability in how they implement all that. Most people wouldn't go out and purchase something like this specifically to tow. But once you have it, and don't want to take the depreciation hit--might as well try it.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #21

The Toureg has very similar tow ratings and wheelbase to the 2011 Grand Cherokee I had. Both in the low to mid 7k tow range and 114' wheelbase. I feel a 28' trailer is too much trailer for a 114' wheelbase suv. That's the reason I upgraded to a full size Ram even though the Jeep had a Hemi to. Like the Jeep it's a great tow vehicle for smaller trailers but I would limit the trailer to 25' at most and even that it pushing it.

This is just my opinion based on my experience with a similar sized suv. Take it for what it's worth.
Loudram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:26 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Good points--there can be a lot of variability in how they implement all that. Most people wouldn't go out and purchase something like this specifically to tow. But once you have it, and don't want to take the depreciation hit--might as well try it.
Or just buy a smaller trailer. The OP says “looking into towing” the Lance. So given that he already has the Touareg I’d say the thing to do is drop some length and GVW of trailer to be safe, have less stress, and probably an overall more enjoyable camping experience. Lots of options out there.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can tow a Peterbilt tractor with a 1 ton tow truck, I know for a fact because I have done it. It doesn't mean that was the wisest thing to do. But that was also an emergency situation where I had to get a highway opened up.
You are ALWAYS better off with a bit too much tow vehicle than not enough.

Brings to mind one of my dad's favorite sayings: "Don't let your brain write a check your a$$ can't cash."
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #24

boats vs travel trailers

i've towed some boats with low center of gravity and pointy front ends.
it seems that
a boat or a low boy loaded with 2x6's would tow differently than a travel trailer with high sides and a big flat surface up front.
just a thought about weight capacity. i like the idea of a lighter trailer.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #25

I have been towing a 29'6" TT with a Dry Weight of 4735 and a GVWR of 6500 with a Grand Cherokee for the past 3 and a half years. Probably has the same towing capacity/hitch weight limitation as a Toureg. In fact we were looking for a Toureg before we found our GC. It pulls, stops and handles like a dream. Sounds like everyone is selling pickup trucks. Don't buy. From my experience and in my opinion it should do well.
GT928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
We have owned a Touareg Gasser and a Diesel and towed Trailers that were on the verge of the Touaregs posted towing limits. It is one of the best tow vehicles you will find - way better than a 1/2 ton pick-up. We NEVER had any problems with sway or being under powered. Granted our diesel had air suspension which made quite a bit of difference, esp. with trucks pushing you around when they pass you but I would not hesitate towing your setup with the regular suspension (I don;t think VW offers air suspension any more in the US).
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing