Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?

With the smaller holding tanks of the 2011 Outback 250RS (37 gal fresh and 30 gal each (Black and Gray), I was considering carrying a "Honey Wagon" tote for black and gray...... and freshwater containers (Ex. Igloo 5gal water containers) for carrying extra fresh water? Do any of you do this?

My Outback 250RS is new to me (maiden voyage later this summer when it begins to cool down). We camp three adults (80% of time) and 4 the other 20%. We like state parks which usually do not have dumps at sites but do have a dump station within the park. We also stay at campgrounds with full hooks when available (wife's preference). Wife does not like using campground restrooms/showers, if they can be avoided.

Also, if you have a model with rear slide out (ex. my Outback), how/where do you carry the tote? I already installed a BAL under frame spare tire carrier so no more room for another under frame carrier.

What do you do?

Are they worth the hassle? Is the hassle equal to or less than breaking down RV and driving over to dump site?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #2

Small capacity tanks....waste tote worth it if camping more then a weekend

Fresh water ...only a concern if you do not have water hookup at camp site
Then 'extra' water is a plus......5 gallon bottles in truck/bladder etc
plus the tote ----carry in bed of truck

When we went FT I bought one....32 gallon
Used it Twice.....for me it wasn't worth the hassle but then again only 2 of us and we have 128 Gallon Waste tank capacity total and 80 gal fresh water capacity
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #3

I got one of these to help with transfer of water but the water jug has to have an extra large mouth to fit the siphon. I found a Reliance jug at Sportsmans Warehouse that worked.

https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Tools-...0318D7K8&psc=1
Old 08-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
With the smaller holding tanks of the 2011 Outback 250RS (37 gal fresh and 30 gal each (Black and Gray), I was considering carrying a "Honey Wagon" tote for black and gray...... and freshwater containers (Ex. Igloo 5gal water containers) for carrying extra fresh water? Do any of you do this?

My Outback 250RS is new to me (maiden voyage later this summer when it begins to cool down). We camp three adults (80% of time) and 4 the other 20%. We like state parks which usually do not have dumps at sites but do have a dump station within the park. We also stay at campgrounds with full hooks when available (wife's preference). Wife does not like using campground restrooms/showers, if they can be avoided.

Also, if you have a model with rear slide out (ex. my Outback), how/where do you carry the tote? I already installed a BAL under frame spare tire carrier so no more room for another under frame carrier.

What do you do?

Are they worth the hassle? Is the hassle equal to or less than breaking down RV and driving over to dump site?

Thanks!
We have small tanks 31/25/25
Yes, we carry tote that’s 2 gal bigger than grey tank. Don’t use it for black. Tow it to dump station when grey fills up. We carry one full 7.5 gal fresh jug full under dinette seat over axles and one empty one (due to weight concerns). Use a drill pump to transfer, Fill both 7.5gal jugs at water station when fresh tank nears empty. Doing this, our length of stationary boondocking is only limited to black water, which can be 10 days.

Seems to me you can mount a tote horizontally under your rear slide if you move the spare under the tongue.

Key to water use is to take a Navy shower every other day. Use full body wipes if in-between if you feel grungy. A Navy shower should use less than 6 gal. When I was aboard ships, you were expected to shower with less than 3 gal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8DA64F4F-C668-4772-BF68-BE63E0474162.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	338235  
Old 08-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #5

I have used both successfully. I had a 5th wheel and a travel trailer plus a 35 gallon sewage tote set up on my wooded property w/o a water hook-up. I could get water at several places including the town park. I would call a pump out company to pump out the 5th wheel, the travel trailer and the 35 gallon tote about every two weeks. I would sometimes tow the travel trailer to the local state park and use their dump facility for $10.

I used 7 gallon water containers from Walmart. I had 4 -7 gallon and 2 - 6 gallon water containers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #6

I have a 20 gallon I think tote on wheels. It was given to me recently. The TT I have now is smaller so it has smaller tanks and it's been very useful. The previous TT had a black tank large enough I didn't get one, but I did use 5 gallon jugs to carry away grey water. I just put the toe in the back of my truck and it rides there fine. I have a locking top on it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:09 AM   #7

How long do you camp for? Is it three to four men, or women? No offence here, but some men tend to use "the great outdoors" a bit more & don't need to shower every day. Outdoor showers work too. Helps with the grey capacity. My camper has forty gallon waste tanks gray/black and it takes about four weeks full time for the wife and I to fill the black, with the grey close behind.

Have you ever used a "Honey Wagon" tote? They are very heavy to lift when full although they can be pulled behind the truck on your hitch if only going a short distance. Forget about lifting and attaching a full tote to your trailer. They can be cumbersome to use for this reason too. Others just seem to disappear when its time to empty a black tank into a tote. If you overfill them, or attach the hoses wrong: it can be a s**t storm.

I keep my trailer at a camp where the dump site is only about 800 meters down a private road. It is practical for me to use a "Honey Wagon" tote. I am however very careful.

Practice and train others to conserve tank space: Never leave water running when washing/brushing teeth (remember military shower & wet wipes as said above) & use the out door shower. Try not to use water (shut off pump) when putting a "number one" into the black tank. Have a bag/bin for the ladies to put "gently used" toilet paper into. You will find you can go a while on your waste tank capacities.
BoomtownDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #8

We camp mostly at provincial parks with no water or sewer hookup. For fresh water we fill the tank when we arrive at the water station, then add one or two totes every day. We use a 4 gallon Gerry can so it’s not to heavy to carry to the taps throughout the campground or to lift it to pour into the TT fresh water inlet.
We can last over a week with daytime use of campground facilities and reserve tank use for sink, morning/ night time bathroom use, etc. By the end of our trip we end up dumping a part tank of fresh water.
homeagaincda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water