Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2010, 04:10 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your Stealer is doing just that. I would locate another authorized Jayco dealer and see if they can fix it. If not then get directly in touch with Jayco with a complete list of things that need repairing and don't take NO for an answer.

I guess I got lucky by buying a Komfort Trailblazer that's built right here in Clackamas. They took it back to the factory and worked on it, it may have taken them 6 months but it's done right. I guese it didn't hurt that I took the 5ht wheel for a 9k mile trip 2 months after I got it to really do a shake down cruize on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
GPW

Be SURE the roof is a good one!!!!!!!!! Well sealed ... My 2007 Jayco FS TPO roof has been nothing but TROUBLE ... easily prone to punctures (then leaking) , even some de-lamination issues on my front cap .... Out of warranty now , looks like an expensive fix at the dealers... Must have been built on a Monday in 20 minutes...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #17

I agree with Super, additionally, the only way to get real quality and mass produce at that rate is to go fully automated. There is no way that is quality at 6 hrs per unit, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #18

All good ideas and suggestions. No other Jayco dealer is closer. I've answered the Jayco customer satisfaction survey more than once via their form and on-line. All they do is send another survey. I suppose they think I'll change my answers. If anything I get more irritated because they obviously don't read them. Guess they don't read RV forums either which shows me just how much "the company" actually cares!

Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If this is a new TT then just because you purchased it a few weeks ago, it's still under warranty. You should have atleast 90 days from th etime of purchase to find all of the things that need repairing that were missed when delivered.
As someone else stated it sounds to me like your Stealer is doing just that, stealing from it's customers. I personally would NOT go thru them again for anything and would not reccomend them to anyone.
Talk to the owner of the Stealership and make sure you inform Jayco that this Stealership should NOT be allowed to sell their units.
Another place to go is Good Sams Club and Trailer Life Magazine, they have place where you can ask for help in resolveing these things. they talk directly to the Stealers and the Manufactures, and since this stuff is posted in magazines they don't want their name put out for everyone to read about in a negative light.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #20
GPW

Quote" stated Derald Bontrager, president and chief operating officer of Jayco. "Business conditions dictate that we take steps to reduce operating costs and maintain production capacity that reflects marketplace realities."
Old 07-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Quote" stated Derald Bontrager, president and chief operating officer of Jayco. "Business conditions dictate that we take steps to reduce operating costs and maintain production capacity that reflects marketplace realities."
Do you have a date and a source for this quote? The following quote is from a March 9, 2010 article in RV Business that details Jayco's expansion in Middlebury, Indiana and restart of the mothballed Starcraft plant in Topeka, Indiana.

Quote:
Bontrager reported the company (i.e., Jayco) has rehired 250 people that had been laid off and that Jayco’s total employment is now at about 1,500 workers. ”Our production today is double what it was a year ago,” he said.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #22
GPW

I notice an overly optimistic attitude of the RV "business" reports ... Too bad their attitudes to the customers do not reflect same ... More production ... work faster , less quality ... All about the Money !!!

Decided to sell ours , at a loss... just to get away from this LEMON ...
Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Might I please have the latitude to pose a few questions?

1. Based on your original post, did the roof leak on your Jayco ultra-light before it was penetrated by tree limbs? My recollection is that you said the leakage started after the penetration by the limbs and the subsequent replacement of the roof by your local dealer - is that in error?

2. Did your dealer explain to you the differences between an ultra-light RV and a "traditional" RV insofar as construction methods, materials used, etc. to achieve the lighter weight?

3. Given those differences, is it reasonable to expect the roof on an ultra-light RV to be immune to penetration by a finger-size tree branch striking the RV at an unknown velocity?

4. Did you ever give consideration to providing some protection to your RV against these falling limbs - I would think it not unreasonable to cover the RV with a tarp when not in use.

Although I can understand why you might be upset when faced with a leaking RV, it appears to me based on the above that your wrath might be better directed at your local dealer than at Jayco. As you are now a more informed RV consumer, I hope that your next purchase will more closely meet your intended application, your needs and your expectations.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #24
GPW

Rusty , Thanks for your consideration ...
The roof did not leak before the limb incident ... That was good ... I suspect the dealers repairs were flawed in some way , but there's no way he'd admit to that ...
The dealer explained nothing to us about the differences... We asked him many questions and told him our needs before the sale, to which he replied ..."it will be just fine for all your needs "
We told him it would be sitting outside in our driveway , and asked him what we should do to maintain it .... He smilingly pointed to all the other trailers on the lot and said they do just fine outside , and all you have to do is keep it washed and waxed. Which we have diligently done ...
The driveway is situated far away from the nearest trees , it was a windblown (storm) limb that did the damage ...just a freak event... We were told we didn't need a cover or garage ... (dealer)
The dealer is obviously the biggest culprit for his less than truthful salesmanship , but I blame Jayco for poor design ... I'd have rather the weight be saved by the exclusion of their 40 lb. folding table , than a paper thin roof ... just a thin sheet of something substantial , like aluminum , properly designed would have prevented all these problems .. Plus little things like having the water heater/ electrical system under the bed... Makes me kinda' Nervous...
Now Rusty, I'm as OLD as you are , been camping for years , mostly in my own van conversions, homemade TD ... Just thinking Of all the campers I've had , this one was the the worst design ... Sure is CUTE , with lots of eye appeal , but something that costs as much as a car , should hold up a little better IMHO ... I'd hate to think of some young couple ending up with a mess like this.. definitely a budget breaker...

Worse, now my dealer suggests since the trailer is out of warranty , I should have the roof re-sealed once a year ... for only 1200USD ... never mentioned that before... Being retired , I'm not made of money ... Gotta' get the best value for my finite time here... Planning on a Cargo conversion ... All metal, and friends who use them daily report no problems ... all live outside ... as do the many thousands of other trailers do , after Katrina...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #25

What is a Cargo Conversion? thanks G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #26

With all due respect (Jayco) I would not buy any travel trailer they put together in 6 hours from start to finish (32) per day .... quality control at it's finest and you wonder why complaints are generated
lrgdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #27
GPW

G, cargo conversion like this Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: View topic - A 12 ft. FEATHERLITE conversion

Dog, Their haste (lack of OC) shows up , just after the warranty expires (how convenient)... otherwise they're forced to deal with it ... and they do ... TG for that !!! After that you are at the mercy of the dealer , who charges more an hour than a brain surgeon ...

I even read where these smaller trailers are considered "disposable " (by the manufacturers)... Never was told any of this before the sale ....
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #28

Thats a cool link, thanks for sharing it!
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen