Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #1

Water filter

I'm still new at this adventure of camping. How long can I use the water filter I put on the hose connection from the water source at the campground to my trailer? Can I reuse it over and over again for months? When I take it off after I disconnect how do I store it to keep it from getting mold in it?
Klibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #2

Need more information. What kind of water filter do you have? The one that just screws onto the hose and water faucet or a canister with replaceable filters inside? What type of camping do you do? Weekend trips or month long trips or full time? A standard recommendation is you should change your water filter at least every six months.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #3

Water filter

A carbon activated water filter for a fridge type application generally lasts only about 3,000 gallons. Those are about 1.5” diameter by 8” long. How big is yours!?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

The Camco ones that you attach between the hose bib and your rig advertised as lasting a season according to Amazon.
We don’t take ours out near as often as we want, so we’re on our second season with ours. I’ll replace it next year.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I have the Camco filter that goes inline with the hose. It says to replace every 3 months and to store capped in the refrigerator.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

I have the kind of filter that you attach in the hose line at the camper not a canister. We camp for long weekends up to a week at a time about once a month. No dry camping. My main concern is between trips what's the best way to store the filter so no mold can develop in it?
Klibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
We use the hose to rig filter we replace ours every season just to be on the safe side they are cheap enough to replace
NanaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water