Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #1

Water Heater Noob Question

I just bought my first TT (camper for that matter) It is a 1977 Coachman Cadet 25' with bunk house I Know it has a six gallon Lp water heater i dont think it was not wintersized correctly i bought it from Ohio i paid 1500 for the thing had to reframe the nose and redo the floors. But it had new brakes and tires and bearings. and came with a Reese Straight line 800 wd system that was still in the box never even opened. Did i do ok? back to the question i know the tank is split. can it be welded? it is puking water. will it provide enough water for a 15 minute shower? or what should i replace with it. i am not afraid to rework the opening for the bigger water heater trying to spend the lest with the the goal achieved i just need to know
DrainBamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

Considering the age, I would replace it.
Recovery time on the 6 gallon units is about 20 to 25 minutes. If you foresee the need for a larger water heater, go for it!
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

I also have a 6 gal tank and with the DW and I it works fine. Sometimes if the DW stays to long, then I have to wait 15 min or so. Remember, it is a camper and some conservation has to take place. However we do stay in the shower a little longer then some, but never a problem. Yes I think you did good. Anything running now is worth that much, especially if you can DIY-Good Luck and welcome
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #4

fletch how long does she stay in the shower and what would you recommend i am confused at all the choices i see one with direct spark pilot what do i go with if yall think a 6 will work witch on i see one that is a at wood xt that is the same as a 9 gallon im confused
Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #5

Definitely buy one with DSI. When the 6 gallon units are advertised as like a 9 gallon it is because of the burner size. When it is heating water it will sound like a small jet engine and will recover quickly. It is still only 6 gallon capacity but will give hot water for longer than some other 6 gallon units.

We take navy showers. Get wet, turn off water, soap up and scrub, turn on water and rinse. Unless someone has long thick hair it is possible to shower with only two gallons of water.

Tim
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Our 5er had a 6-gallon water heater. We two old retired folks traveled all over the USA for over 8 years, and never needed a bigger water heater. We always showered and never took a tub bath in the RV. But of course Darling Wife had to plan ahead so as not run out of hot water before she finished her shower.

Our RV water system had a diverter valve that could be set so water would not go through the water heater. To winterize the rig, shut off the water to the heater, then drain the heater as well as the tank and lines. Then close the drains and pour in a coupla gallons of RV antifreeze and run the pump until the pink stuff runs out all the faucets and comode. With the diverter you don't get the antifreeze in the heater, so it's easier to flush the antifreeze out of the system the next spring. Just be sure to turn the water back on to the heater before you try to use any hot water.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Youtube video of water heater replacement that might be of some help:

Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhawgs View Post

Gary & Sharon
1987 Sportscraft 26RT Class C Fulltime
Reminds me of Mom and Dad's older, shorter Sportscraft. Really nice upscale mini-motorhome. They drove it several years, dragging a heavy two-mule+tack and feed room trailer to trail rides all over the southwest. They eventually traded for a 30' Class A because the bathroom in the Class C was designed so you had to sit on the pottie to take a shower.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Atwood Mobile Products Llc - G - Atwood Water Heater - 6 gal LP/Electric - Water Heaters - Camping World
this is what i was thinking of replacing it with.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Might check prices here. Some are on sale:

RV & Small Water Heaters - PPL Motor Homes
Old 01-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #11

http://www.amazon.com/Atwood-Product.../dp/B0002F67Z0 $344.69
Atwood RV Water Heater on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
$449.90

now that we see that the Direct spark is addition $105.21 is it really worth it. i am on a budget could i add this later? i dont really mind a pilot what are the major pros and cons of each
Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

A friend had his water heater split because he didn't winterize it. He found it much cheaper to get it welded. If the split can be seen, it can probably be welded.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #13

If is a atwood it can be repaired (welded) or tank replacement can be installed. If is a suburban water heater it can not be repaired, as it is a glass lined steel tank. And the liner will be gone.
Headtrustee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water