Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2022, 09:27 PM   #1

Water heater wiring

I'll admit I only did one search before posting, but I'm tired and leave tomorrow lol.

I replacing an old domestic wh with a new suburban. Old was propane, new is Propane or electric. Looking at the wiring, the wires to the old wh are green, blue, and brown. The new one is green, blue, and red... do I just wire the red and brown together?

Also, if it's plugged in and hooked to Propane, which takes priority?

Thanks in advance, it is appreciated!
yowmemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2022, 11:30 PM   #2

Electric and Propane are separate
Can use just propane
Can use just electric
Can use BOTH at same time

Each has it's own set of t-stats:
Left set...120VAC (electric)
Right Set...12VDC (propane)
*Electric and Propane T-stat opens at 130*F/Close at 100*F for reheat
High Temp T-stat trips at 170*F...Manual Reset

Electric is direct...120VAC from 15A Circuit Breaker to AC Junction Box on right side of tank (looking from the rear)
*From Junction box OEM wiring goes to On.Off switch in outside compartment then to/thru set of t-stats then to element when heating called for

Propane uses 12VDC from a fused source to On/off switch with Fault Light. From switch to DC Junction box on left side of tank (looking from rear)
*From Junction bx OEM wiring goes to/thru set of t-stats then to circuit board on backside of tank. DC then goes to gas valve/spark electrode when heating called for

DC wiring is:
Red ---12VDC POS
Green ---12VDC NEG/Ground
Blue ---12VDC POS from circuit board to Fault Light on switch

Old Atwood
Brown ---12VDC POS
Green ---12VDC Neg/Ground
Blue ---12VDC POS from circuit board to Fault Light on switch
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:31 AM   #3

Thanks OB! So with 120 it still uses the same water heater switch? Or it just starts heating when plugged in?
Old 07-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowmemperor View Post
Thanks OB! So with 120 it still uses the same water heater switch? Or it just starts heating when plugged in?
When wired up....
15A CB in your Main Power PANEL with Romex run to the AC Junction Box
OEM wiring from box to the On/Off Switch In the Outside Compartment .... lower left/below-beneath the gas valve

want to use the Electric ...then YOU turn on the OEM switch
*you can also run the romex wiring from the 15A CB to an Inside Switch then from switch to AC Junction Box
***Many times a Standard household Light switch/electric box used

Inside switch and OEM outside switch wired in series...both have to be on for electric to work but can leave outside on and just use inside switch
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater, wiring