Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #1

Water in window track

I got home from a trip yesterday and had to wait out a really strong Florida storm parked in front of my house before backing in. Honestly it was one of the heaviest rains Iíve seen in my 40 years in FL. I went in the trailer to unpack and noticed water in the window track on one of my sliding windows. Iíve never had water inside before and itís been in hard rains, not like this one though. The trailer is a Grand Design and only 3 months old. Anyone ever had this happen before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD4028B4-4A1F-455E-978B-CEC75CB1E0FE.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	293892  
modrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 06:50 AM   #2

Never had that. I would check the caulking around the window to be sure there is no cracks. If none is found I would guess that the weather was so bad the water was just forced past the window seal. I have no idea how to prevent that.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Never had that. I would check the caulking around the window to be sure there is no cracks. If none is found I would guess that the weather was so bad the water was just forced past the window seal. I have no idea how to prevent that.
Thanks. Yes, I checked the caulking and it is all good with no cracks. Is it possible water came in through the weep hole?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #4

I would definitely check that. Now that I think about it I have seen the water come down the windows in a sheet and the weep holes could not keep up. They were partially plugged and the water came inside. After a good cleaning I have not seen that problem again.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I had that happen once. Found the window a tad bit "open" or rather not seated in the frame at the end right. Got to looking and the frame was slightly bent causing friction making the window feel fully closed. It looked like it got banged up during installation. Once I straightened all the channels it has not happened since. I always make sure to do a push pull test on every window when closing them. Hope you get to the root of it and get it resolved.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #6

Had it happen once in a super heavy wind rain storm. Never again. I still check every time.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #7

We have a Grand Design as well. It's an 2020 Imagine 17MKE. We also had a leak in our trailer after a torrential rain. We brought it to the dealership for repair. This is what is reported on the repair service ticket. "resealed window sealant, cracked at top, checked drain holes on window and sealed top plugs"
MargeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #8

I had that problem in a heavy rain. I removed the rubber seal on the outside of the window. There is a track in the aluminum that is supposed to direct water to the drain slots at the bottom. On one window, I found some dead box elder bugs that had blocked the track. On another window I found what looked like packing material in the track. When I reinstalled the rubber seal, I tried to minimize the gap at the top where the seal butts up to the aluminum frame. In my case, that left a big gap at the bottom, but that doesn't seem to cause any problems. The rubber seal may be difficult to push into place. I used water as a lubricant and that helped a lot. Good luck.
Old Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #9

If you have 'weep' holes, make sure the drains on the outside are open.
They get full of gunk, dust, debris, etc.
A piece of bare copper #12 Romex does an excellent job without damaging your window.
Then, shoot a little water though the drain to flush it out.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #10

I'm pretty sure this is normal and not indicative of a problem. At least it is with residential windows and my RV windows are a similar setup. With a side-to-side sliding window one of the panes must sit inward of the other. So, water that hits that glass runs down into the track. Condensation that forms on the inside surfaces of the glass also runs down into the track. The water will collect in the tracks and eventually find its way out the weep holes.

At least with residential windows the water can't always be seen since its under an insert in the track that the window actually slides on. You can lift out the moving part of the windows and pry up this insert for cleaning, etc. I've never done it on my RV but it looks really similar. It's not surprising that you'd see more water after a heavy rain. It will eventually find its way to the weep holes or just evaporate.

I know in houses people often panic because seeing water basically inside the house is alarming but its the way the windows are designed.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:43 AM   #11

Just an update. We have had more torrential rains here in FL and have not had any water intrusion at the window! We have however had water come in through the overhead speaker, which has me pretty upset. The trailer is only 2.5 months old. I was able to get on the roof, find the leak and seal it. The trailer is scheduled to go to the dealer on 8/17. With it being just under 3 months old at the time of the leak, I expect them to check and reseal all of the seals. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #12

The seal on the window frame has separated. I got some sealant from a window shop that is used for installing auto glass. Pull out the old glass clean it up and reseal. Problem solved.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, wind, window