Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #1

Water Leak Question

So, when I rinse the black tank from outside with the hose, I get a leak dripping. I found where, inside, in this access point, where the water comes in, it goes through the black valve thing that reminds me of those little devices you see for the washing machine water feeds in a house, let's air escape or something. Pics posted, what is this black valve thing and can I remove it all together I'm wondering.

The white elbow connecting to the white hose going downwards is where it's leaking and I have the smell of the black tank in the TT when flushing the tank, draining, rinsing and when it's getting near full.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w20161016_112108.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	141684   Click image for larger version

Name:	w20161016_112045.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	141685  

Name:	w20161016_112026.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	141686  
GreyWolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
In a hook up of potable water connected to the black tank flusher, you want a back flow valve, an anti-siphon valve, or the like. It's to prevent any black tank liquids from backing up into your fresh water supply. I'd replace it, not just remove it. I couldn't find a duplicate of what you have, but it's needed. Take it to a plumbing supply to have it identified and replaced.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

The "correct" answer is to replace it. However if it was my camper I'd just remove it. The chances of fluids from your black tank backing back up the nozzle in the tank through that hose and into your pressurized water hose is slim to none.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Leaking elbow

In all likelihood our smell is coming from the leaking line and not the valve.

It looks as if the elbow is on the tank side of the valve, therefore it is not the valve that is leaking bu the elbow, if i understand your post correctly. I would disconnect the valve from the hoses, beginning with the input hose followed by the valve. Now you have the elbow and corresponding hose free to inspect. Check for any cracks as this is most usually the case. If it is cracked, replace it and reconnect everything and you should be okay.
If no crack located, connect a water hose to the elbow and run water through the to the black tank; this may require a hose fitting going from your hose to the elbow but you can purchase one from most hardware stores. If leaking, verify where and you'll need to cut the hose and put in a new elbow. If no leak, check the gasket between the elbow and the valve.

Contrary to the above post, removing the backflow valve completely WILL allow bacteria to contaminate the hose and water supply source. This is one thing you do not want to happen.

Best of luck - keep us informed of how the repair goes as I'm sure someone else will have the same problem too.
rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

It's a vacuum breaker probably with a check valve. Throw that thing away and add or make sure there is a check valve in the line. Even the vacuum breaker manufacturer will say that water will be expelled under certain conditions. Junk!
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #6

Thanks for all the responses, just to be clear, it's the "Flush Black Tank" line in, not the fresh water in. It is only when flushing out the black tank after a draining.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolf67 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, just to be clear, it's the "Flush Black Tank" line in, not the fresh water in. It is only when flushing out the black tank after a draining.
But where does the water come from that flushes the black tank? The device is there to prevent water from flowing back from the black tank flusher into the water supply. Most every sprinkler system is required to have one to prevent contaminated water from flowing from the yard heads back into the house water system. I have check valves on my tank flushers.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #8

Makes sense, will get after it and report back.
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

It is a common item--every RV parts store should have one, or get it from Amazon. You can replace it with identical plastic one or get a more expensive brass one, not sure which will last longer. Just be sure the anti-siphon valve itself is leaking and not the connections.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #10

When I first used my black tank flush I had water spraying everywhere from that connection. It was tight but it leaked. I undid it and put a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads and no more leaks...cheap fix to try before you toss cash at new parts.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

FIXED - It was the cheap plastic hose clam from the factory. I replaced it with a metal hose clamp and no more leak. In the pic attached, I'm holding the plastic part removed, next to the new clamp installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leakfixed.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	142094  

Tags
leak, water, water leak