Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFeather View Post
lol. and they are always in tight spaces or places where there is no easy access. However, I am not too keen on those quick-call local plumbers bill after they visit and do some repair.

But some HVAC are worse. I recall not too long ago... I had to fork over $160 service call for my A/C... mostly standing watching him use MY garden hose and MY water to kinda power-wash the A/C condenser thingy sitting outside my home. $80 was the service call for just showing up.
Ours blew a capacitor for the second time in a couple years, part was like $35 but the labor was about $150 and I already had the unit open. I'd have fixed it myself but I had no source for parts on a weekend.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Agreed!! I cannot understand how you can deliver a product for sale with sawdust and shavings behind the vent. It's like dusting your floor and lifting the rug and sweeping it under it. Doh!

If I had an RV manufacturing plant I would be horrified to deliver a product that wasn't clean. And the sales people should also ensure to clean all that dust out.
I had to remove a panel under the bath sink due to a broken slideout adjuster (thanks to Cummins NW) I was amazed at the amount of sawdust and shavings under there. Granted it's a 6 year old used unit and some may be due to that but for the price of this thing you'd think it would be cleaned at the factory!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:00 AM   #17

Yeah... as someone once said, the whole RV product line needs major oversight, like they do with vehicles. Since there is none, they have absolutely no incentive to make the product any better than it is. I really pity those folks forking out the hundred of thousands and having the same issues as the rest of us. From my understanding, this has been going on for a long time. In some ways, I would recommend a newbie to look into purchasing a newer "used" model rather than a new one. Just as we did with our 2014 Evergreen EverLite. We could have spent a few more hundred dollars for a brand new 2016 Dutchman Kodiac with nearly identical layout, but we went with the better build used Evergreen. Besides, we knew many of the kinks should be worked out from the previous owners, plus the service mgr at the dealer whispered to me and said, although the layout is identical, everything constructed in that Kodiac is made with less-quality material than the Evergreen. That convinced me.

We need stronger federal regulations on the manufacturers. And it would be nice to have an organization step up and create some kind of registration or certification. This way, no qualified (or non-certified) manufacturers would die-off since their products would not meet some simple standards... and wood-shavings from popping holes for wires and pipes is a failure! lol.
GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #18

The PEX Tools are expensive, however if you haunt ebay and craigslist, with enough time, you can get one very cheap. i did. Someone bought one and fixed one fitting then put it on ebay and I got it for about 10 or 15 bucks.

But, as said, the fitting shown does not require special tools. Also, it uses a rubber seal against the bottom of the faucet mating surface. it does not require super tightening and can be damaged by over tightening. Just snug enough to seal is all it needs. You can get a basin wrench that makes it easy to get to under there.

TEKTON 11 in. Basin Wrench (3/8 to 1 in.)-WRN92001 - The Home Depot
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
The PEX Tools are expensive, however if you haunt ebay and craigslist, with enough time, you can get one very cheap. i did. Someone bought one and fixed one fitting then put it on ebay and I got it for about 10 or 15 bucks.

But, as said, the fitting shown does not require special tools. Also, it uses a rubber seal against the bottom of the faucet mating surface. it does not require super tightening and can be damaged by over tightening. Just snug enough to seal is all it needs. You can get a basin wrench that makes it easy to get to under there.

TEKTON 11 in. Basin Wrench (3/8 to 1 in.)-WRN92001 - The Home Depot
thanks man. do you know what elbow I need is it 1/2 x 1/2 or 3/8 x 1/2

https://www.amazon.ca/Flair--Central...flair-it+elbow

https://www.amazon.ca/MOTORHOME-TRAI...words=flair-it
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #20

I think it's all 1/2. If there is enough of it showing, it should be printed on the pipe itself. You'll want to trim the end off for the new fitting to get a fresh bite if you can, so just nip it and take it with you to the store. All the big box stores are now carrying Pex, so just match it.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #21

I do believe that the plastic fitting are meant to be HAND tightened. Using a wrench can distort the rubber washer inside the fitting and cause it to leak. I suggest unscrewing both fittings, check the rubber washer condition, if good, be sure its seated properly, reinstall and hand tighten to see if this corrects the situation. If not, you'll need a new hose/fitting--just don't over tighten the new ones!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #22

well after another weekend of camping im glad to say that I could not find any evidence of water leaking from these fittings. HOWEVER, a bucket I had laid under everything under sink still seems to be getting some dirty water in it. wondering if it is just condensation dripping off the cold water pex leading to the faucet (is this possible?) or I wonder if maybe a drain connection is leaking. This seems like its going to be tough to nail down. I filled and drained the sinks multiple times and did not see any evidence of a leak...
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #23

I added an item to my camping checklist a long time ago. Check plumbing before and after each trip. It only takes one small unattended leak to destroy a 20 thousand dollar RV....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #24

If a bucket is getting water, it's coming from somewhere. The drains are easier than the supply. I'd run some water in it with food dy to see if your getting colored water in the bucket from the drain.

Tags
leak, water, water leak