Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to lezmark Send a message via Yahoo to lezmark
Water pump hums - no water pumping

For the winter I left all the valves in the trailer open. Today was open her up day and I started out by draining the fresh water tank and refilling. That might be part of my problem. Anyway, once i was filled up I went inside to turn the pump on, while all the valves were open. I could hear the pump, just not getting water up. I know where the pump is, and i can touch it over a plastic shield in the front pass through hatch. Darned if i can figure out how to remove the shield. I am thinking there is air in the line. Who can help please?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #2

When you say "all valves open" you need a faucet open to allow air to bleed out and on many RV's the "tank fill" valve closed.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to lezmark Send a message via Yahoo to lezmark
what I am thinking is that the pump lines lost a "vacuum" when i drained the tank with all the valves open. I tried leaving the pump on opening and closing the valves. Just had an idea of hooking up to city water and "burping" all the fixtures and THEN see if the water pump will work...
Old 04-04-2022, 12:00 AM   #4

Pump may have lost prime...although usually self-priming.
Mind did it last year.
Added water to the pump by pouring water in the winterizing hose.
Hasn't happened since.
Also, sometimes the screen in the pump bowl gets clogged, but I haven't experienced that yet.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #5

I had the same problem. Turns out I did not put winterizing valve back in the right position when I started up. The pump was trying to take suction from the winterizing hose instead of the fresh water tank.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:44 AM   #6

My Shurflo 4088 did the same thing after being winterized. Mine turned out to be a stuck check valve, Once I got it freed up the pump worked fine.
I think that using air to blow out the lines last fall might have caused it, but it might have just been due to sitting for months.
MSchu is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump