Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #1

Water Tank Question

Have a water tank question and may be something I am just worrying about too much. I have had 2 incidents where I was filling up the water tank and it ended up overflowing while getting distracted (I know better now not to do 2 things at the same time). The water hose was in it and water was coming from around the sides of the water hose and in one case may have been coming out of the vent next to the fresh water fill-up. I haven't noticed any leaks underneath but the underneath is covered so unable to visualize the tank. I have read other stories on these chats where people have done similar things and it has resulted in the supporting brackets on the water tank getting bent out. If this was your camper, would you take the underside covering off (which would be difficult given the way it seems screwed in) if you haven't noticed any leaks underneath or is this something that I just shouldn't worry about and not do again.
Grannemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #2

No, fresh water tanks have an overflow valve or hole at the top of the tank. That is how I have filled the water tanks in my RV’s (Class A’s and trailer) without any issues for many years.
ColoradoRFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #3

I agree. It was most likely the overflow vent.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #4

If you had the water pressure too high, the vent is not sufficient. It can pressurize and crack your tank. Ask me how I know...

You should really invest in an adjustable tank fill spout and fill it slowly. Hopefully the leaking water is just from the vent, but definitely monitor it if it doesn't stop...
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
If you had the water pressure too high, the vent is not sufficient. It can pressurize and crack your tank. Ask me how I know...

You should really invest in an adjustable tank fill spout and fill it slowly. Hopefully the leaking water is just from the vent, but definitely monitor it if it doesn't stop...
This^^.

All fresh water tanks are vented, usually through the overflow port, so water can be drawn out without creating a vacuum. As posted above, the overflow is not necessarily large enough to prevent some pressurizing from a high-flow input city water hose. A lot will depend on how long a time the pressurized water was connected while the overflow was happening. In your case, I agree than monitoring for continued water leaking is in order. My bet is that no damage was done, however.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
This^^.

All fresh water tanks are vented, usually through the overflow port, so water can be drawn out without creating a vacuum. As posted above, the overflow is not necessarily large enough to prevent some pressurizing from a high-flow input city water hose. A lot will depend on how long a time the pressurized water was connected while the overflow was happening. In your case, I agree than monitoring for continued water leaking is in order. My bet is that no damage was done, however.
My underbelly is covered so I don't see any outflow port. My old camper had this and is what I was used to which caused the episodes. Each one at most maybe had a minute where the overflow was occuring. I haven't noticed any leaks but wondering if need to take the underbelly off to further examine the tank, which I supsect could be difficult the way it was screwed in from the top of the frame
Old 06-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #7

Over fill

There are lots of fill systems. The low end way is what yours sounds like. It is hard to get high pressure into it. The fill hose is not sealed to the fill port. Water vents around the hose end as well as through the air vent.

Other systems fill from the "city water" hose connection. You can get full city water pressure into the fresh tank that way. It still has a vent, but it may be too small to keep the pressure down.

I have heard of water tanks mounts breaking, but I would not blame weight of water. I would blame design and build issues.

Bending brackets from bulging tanks or seams breaking are certainly possible . Some campground water systems have been measured at 90 psi.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
There are lots of fill systems. The low end way is what yours sounds like. It is hard to get high pressure into it. The fill hose is not sealed to the fill port. Water vents around the hose end as well as through the air vent.

Other systems fill from the "city water" hose connection. You can get full city water pressure into the fresh tank that way. It still has a vent, but it may be too small to keep the pressure down.

I have heard of water tanks mounts breaking, but I would not blame weight of water. I would blame design and build issues.

Bending brackets from bulging tanks or seams breaking are certainly possible . Some campground water systems have been measured at 90 psi.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Correct, my system is filled through a water port and not through city connection. The hose took up alot of space in it but when it was overflowing it was coming out from around it and then when I removed the hose it had a siphon effect where water kept coming out for about 20 seconds. So it sounds like you think it would be unlikelyl anything has happend to the tank?
Old 06-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannemann View Post
Correct, my system is filled through a water port and not through city connection. The hose took up alot of space in it but when it was overflowing it was coming out from around it and then when I removed the hose it had a siphon effect where water kept coming out for about 20 seconds. So it sounds like you think it would be unlikelyl anything has happend to the tank?
This clarifies your situation^^.

A fill port cannot pressurize the tank unless you purposely sealed the entire port opening. Putting your last post together with your others, the water you saw could very well be the water that was coming out of the fill port and running down along the fill tube exterior. Additionally, filling up to the vent/overflow could create a siphon which will draw some water out of the tank until the level drops below the overflow tube opening, assuming an overflow tube was inserted into the top of the tank.

Given all posts, I don't believe you have any worries.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #10

What you experienced is normal. It either has or will happen to everyone eventually. No harm was done. You can get this little gadget and it leaves more space for the air to vent as you are filling it, plus you get a valve you can control so you don't have to run back to the faucet/yell at someone to --!!TURN IT OFF!!--TURN IT OFF!!--

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...s%2C157&sr=8-1
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
What you experienced is normal. It either has or will happen to everyone eventually. No harm was done. You can get this little gadget and it leaves more space for the air to vent as you are filling it, plus you get a valve you can control so you don't have to run back to the faucet/yell at someone to --!!TURN IT OFF!!--TURN IT OFF!!--

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...s%2C157&sr=8-1

Had one of THOSE.....
Clear Plastic tube blew off and went down the Fill Line/into tank

Used the yellow shut off valve for a while then replaced it with a BRASS one from Home Dept (garden shutoff valve)

Still have that tube in my fresh water tank
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #12

LOL.

Update, remove clear plastic tube and add silicone around the barb then replace and let dry before use.

I've never had one. I rarely use the water tank.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #13

I would caution the OP to monitor his tank.

I cracked my tank on the bottom near the dump valve by filling through the gravity fill port. Yes, water was coming out of the vent tube and around the hose nozzle. THERE CAN STILL BE ENOUGH PRESSURE TO CRACK A TANK EVEN IF NOT FULLY SEALED.

Think about hydraulics and how they work. PSI stands for PER SQUARE INCH. Assuming a tank is roughly 5'x5'x1' (probably conservative) then Even 1 PSI of pressure differential at the fill port translates to over 10,000lbs of force stretching that tank apart. If your flow rate exceeds the tank's ability to vent, pressure will build rapidly and the compressible air turns into incompressible water (a hydraulic press).
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRFL View Post
No, fresh water tanks have an overflow valve or hole at the top of the tank. That is how I have filled the water tanks in my RV’s (Class A’s and trailer) without any issues for many years.
I have two overflow drains on each side of my 100 gallon tank. When they squirt I'm full
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water