Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 05:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
What you experienced is normal. It either has or will happen to everyone eventually. No harm was done. You can get this little gadget and it leaves more space for the air to vent as you are filling it, plus you get a valve you can control so you don't have to run back to the faucet/yell at someone to --!!TURN IT OFF!!--TURN IT OFF!!--

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...s%2C157&sr=8-1
Ordered, thank you
Grannemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 05:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
I would caution the OP to monitor his tank.

I cracked my tank on the bottom near the dump valve by filling through the gravity fill port. Yes, water was coming out of the vent tube and around the hose nozzle. THERE CAN STILL BE ENOUGH PRESSURE TO CRACK A TANK EVEN IF NOT FULLY SEALED.

Think about hydraulics and how they work. PSI stands for PER SQUARE INCH. Assuming a tank is roughly 5'x5'x1' (probably conservative) then Even 1 PSI of pressure differential at the fill port translates to over 10,000lbs of force stretching that tank apart. If your flow rate exceeds the tank's ability to vent, pressure will build rapidly and the compressible air turns into incompressible water (a hydraulic press).
If I haven't had a leak come through the sealed underbelly would you just leave it alone? The underbelly has multiple panels that cover everything but it looks like water could come out easily between the panels if there was a leak
Old 06-10-2020, 06:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannemann View Post
If I haven't had a leak come through the sealed underbelly would you just leave it alone? The underbelly has multiple panels that cover everything but it looks like water could come out easily between the panels if there was a leak
Yes, if you don't see leaking and your tank levels are holding normal after a day or so I think you can rest assured.

In my case, I noticed some leaking, but attributed it to the "overflow". Slow leaking didn't stop after setting up camp and through the night. The next day I peeled back the underbelly and saw the crack... Kind of soured that trip for me, but I did get it replaced under warranty (great dealer). I was using my outdoor spigot which has really high water pressure, but I've since bought a fill tube with brass valve. Well worth the peace of mind.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
Yes, if you don't see leaking and your tank levels are holding normal after a day or so I think you can rest assured.

In my case, I noticed some leaking, but attributed it to the "overflow". Slow leaking didn't stop after setting up camp and through the night. The next day I peeled back the underbelly and saw the crack... Kind of soured that trip for me, but I did get it replaced under warranty (great dealer). I was using my outdoor spigot which has really high water pressure, but I've since bought a fill tube with brass valve. Well worth the peace of mind.
How did you go about peeling back your underbelly. Mine seem to have screws that come from the top frame down to the underbelly?
Old 06-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #19

Luckily my leak was at the drain valve so near a corner. I had screws from the frame into the board and was able to peel enough back to see what was going on.

Funny enough I just bought a new toy hauler and I think this very same thing happened during DELIVERY. The tech hooked up the hose to the fill port and it started overflowing. Tank level read E and it was leaking obviously. The techs ended up cutting into the underbelly to investigate, tearing out insulation. They said it was the connecting hose between the two 50 gallon thanks. I had to take it back in for service and they said they found a crack.

Needless to say I'm pissed but they're promising to make it right.

So I'm batting a thousand on cracked tanks. Either it's just my luck (I didn't touch the new one) or this isn't as rare as people think...
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water