Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 31
Water Tank Question

Have a water tank question and may be something I am just worrying about too much. I have had 2 incidents where I was filling up the water tank and it ended up overflowing while getting distracted (I know better now not to do 2 things at the same time). The water hose was in it and water was coming from around the sides of the water hose and in one case may have been coming out of the vent next to the fresh water fill-up. I haven't noticed any leaks underneath but the underneath is covered so unable to visualize the tank. I have read other stories on these chats where people have done similar things and it has resulted in the supporting brackets on the water tank getting bent out. If this was your camper, would you take the underside covering off (which would be difficult given the way it seems screwed in) if you haven't noticed any leaks underneath or is this something that I just shouldn't worry about and not do again.
Grannemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #2
Member
 
ColoradoRFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Red Feather Lakes, CO
Posts: 43
No, fresh water tanks have an overflow valve or hole at the top of the tank. That is how I have filled the water tanks in my RV’s (Class A’s and trailer) without any issues for many years.
ColoradoRFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bddadles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Full Timing. When I park I'm home
Posts: 1,269
I agree. It was most likely the overflow vent.
__________________
2004 Volvo, 2009 smart car
2008 Hitch Hiker Champagne
Full timing January 2010
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 267
If you had the water pressure too high, the vent is not sufficient. It can pressurize and crack your tank. Ask me how I know...

You should really invest in an adjustable tank fill spout and fill it slowly. Hopefully the leaking water is just from the vent, but definitely monitor it if it doesn't stop...
__________________
2021 Winnebago Spyder 29STT
2021 F350 CCLB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4
2019 Passport GT 2950BH 2017 F250 CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
If you had the water pressure too high, the vent is not sufficient. It can pressurize and crack your tank. Ask me how I know...

You should really invest in an adjustable tank fill spout and fill it slowly. Hopefully the leaking water is just from the vent, but definitely monitor it if it doesn't stop...
This^^.


All fresh water tanks are vented, usually through the overflow port, so water can be drawn out without creating a vacuum. As posted above, the overflow is not necessarily large enough to prevent some pressurizing from a high-flow input city water hose. A lot will depend on how long a time the pressurized water was connected while the overflow was happening. In your case, I agree than monitoring for continued water leaking is in order. My bet is that no damage was done, however.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
This^^.


All fresh water tanks are vented, usually through the overflow port, so water can be drawn out without creating a vacuum. As posted above, the overflow is not necessarily large enough to prevent some pressurizing from a high-flow input city water hose. A lot will depend on how long a time the pressurized water was connected while the overflow was happening. In your case, I agree than monitoring for continued water leaking is in order. My bet is that no damage was done, however.
My underbelly is covered so I don't see any outflow port. My old camper had this and is what I was used to which caused the episodes. Each one at most maybe had a minute where the overflow was occuring. I haven't noticed any leaks but wondering if need to take the underbelly off to further examine the tank, which I supsect could be difficult the way it was screwed in from the top of the frame
Grannemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,397
Over fill

There are lots of fill systems. The low end way is what yours sounds like. It is hard to get high pressure into it. The fill hose is not sealed to the fill port. Water vents around the hose end as well as through the air vent.

Other systems fill from the "city water" hose connection. You can get full city water pressure into the fresh tank that way. It still has a vent, but it may be too small to keep the pressure down.

I have heard of water tanks mounts breaking, but I would not blame weight of water. I would blame design and build issues.

Bending brackets from bulging tanks or seams breaking are certainly possible . Some campground water systems have been measured at 90 psi.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
__________________
Paul Bristol
Kodiak Cub 176RD
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
There are lots of fill systems. The low end way is what yours sounds like. It is hard to get high pressure into it. The fill hose is not sealed to the fill port. Water vents around the hose end as well as through the air vent.

Other systems fill from the "city water" hose connection. You can get full city water pressure into the fresh tank that way. It still has a vent, but it may be too small to keep the pressure down.

I have heard of water tanks mounts breaking, but I would not blame weight of water. I would blame design and build issues.

Bending brackets from bulging tanks or seams breaking are certainly possible . Some campground water systems have been measured at 90 psi.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Correct, my system is filled through a water port and not through city connection. The hose took up alot of space in it but when it was overflowing it was coming out from around it and then when I removed the hose it had a siphon effect where water kept coming out for about 20 seconds. So it sounds like you think it would be unlikelyl anything has happend to the tank?
Grannemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannemann View Post
Correct, my system is filled through a water port and not through city connection. The hose took up alot of space in it but when it was overflowing it was coming out from around it and then when I removed the hose it had a siphon effect where water kept coming out for about 20 seconds. So it sounds like you think it would be unlikelyl anything has happend to the tank?
This clarifies your situation^^.


A fill port cannot pressurize the tank unless you purposely sealed the entire port opening. Putting your last post together with your others, the water you saw could very well be the water that was coming out of the fill port and running down along the fill tube exterior. Additionally, filling up to the vent/overflow could create a siphon which will draw some water out of the tank until the level drops below the overflow tube opening, assuming an overflow tube was inserted into the top of the tank.


Given all posts, I don't believe you have any worries.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Carlos, Texas
Posts: 1,665
What you experienced is normal. It either has or will happen to everyone eventually. No harm was done. You can get this little gadget and it leaves more space for the air to vent as you are filling it, plus you get a valve you can control so you don't have to run back to the faucet/yell at someone to --!!TURN IT OFF!!--TURN IT OFF!!--


https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...s%2C157&sr=8-1
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 17,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
What you experienced is normal. It either has or will happen to everyone eventually. No harm was done. You can get this little gadget and it leaves more space for the air to vent as you are filling it, plus you get a valve you can control so you don't have to run back to the faucet/yell at someone to --!!TURN IT OFF!!--TURN IT OFF!!--


https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...s%2C157&sr=8-1

Had one of THOSE.....
Clear Plastic tube blew off and went down the Fill Line/into tank


Used the yellow shut off valve for a while then replaced it with a BRASS one from Home Dept (garden shutoff valve)


Still have that tube in my fresh water tank
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Carlos, Texas
Posts: 1,665
LOL.




Update, remove clear plastic tube and add silicone around the barb then replace and let dry before use.


I've never had one. I rarely use the water tank.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 267
I would caution the OP to monitor his tank.

I cracked my tank on the bottom near the dump valve by filling through the gravity fill port. Yes, water was coming out of the vent tube and around the hose nozzle. THERE CAN STILL BE ENOUGH PRESSURE TO CRACK A TANK EVEN IF NOT FULLY SEALED.

Think about hydraulics and how they work. PSI stands for PER SQUARE INCH. Assuming a tank is roughly 5'x5'x1' (probably conservative) then Even 1 PSI of pressure differential at the fill port translates to over 10,000lbs of force stretching that tank apart. If your flow rate exceeds the tank's ability to vent, pressure will build rapidly and the compressible air turns into incompressible water (a hydraulic press).
__________________
2021 Winnebago Spyder 29STT
2021 F350 CCLB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4
2019 Passport GT 2950BH 2017 F250 CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
carl.swoyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRFL View Post
No, fresh water tanks have an overflow valve or hole at the top of the tank. That is how I have filled the water tanks in my RVs (Class As and trailer) without any issues for many years.
I have two overflow drains on each side of my 100 gallon tank. When they squirt I'm full
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank, water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water tank drain is leaking at the fitting to the water tank billbaio Palazzo Motorhomes 7 03-10-2019 10:26 AM
Water pump pumping water from fresh water tank into grey tank?? Amen Monaco Owner's Forum 16 09-13-2017 04:15 PM
Hot Water Tank vs Fresh Water Tank Nomad Mike Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 21 07-30-2015 06:23 AM
Hot Water Tank - Can a winterized hot water tank be driven? nskinner RV Systems & Appliances 2 01-06-2013 10:26 PM
Grey water tank flows into Black water tank? dgmelp Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 03-30-2011 09:06 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.