Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2021, 06:05 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Waxing tt

I'm about to wax are open range tt. It has I'm thinking vinyl grafics on it what kind of cleaner can I use . Plan on using insulator wax.
Thanks for all replys
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
3M Boat Wax
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #3

Waxing tt

Be careful with a ‘cleaner’ wax...it has grit or pumice in it and will take off paint if you use it too much or too hard (done it). And do not use regular wax or carnauba wax...that stuff lasts only one month in the sun in the summer! Highly recommend Meguiars Ultimate Wax, which is a synthetic polymer “wax”, which will last up to a year in the sun. Nu Finish was the first decades ago and a lot of wax makers make them now. I happen to like and trust the Meguiars line.

For the best and most expensive protection, there are now ceramic coatings, which are claimed to last up to 5 years.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for reply . Is there a cleaner to use first
Old 01-23-2021, 07:07 AM   #5

Enless choices

There are endless choices for cleaners and "waxes". The systems can be complicated and are often designed for a limited set of conditions. I chose Poliglow for my fiber glass exterior. https://www.poliglowproducts.com/#/

Poliglow is a whole system including cleaner, wax, and wax remover. The cleaner is vital. It removes a lot of hard to see stuff that will become easy to see once wax is applied. It is good for 12 months in northern low altitude climates like Wisconsin.

I did one or two sides each year. The first side is now 2 years old and needs stripping and re-coating. Splattered bugs are starting to stick to the front again.

I have not yet removed the old wax. Some reviews claim it is hard to remove, but it is hard to tell from the reviews whether they used the remover designed to remove the Poliglow. Time will tell.

It is not a good idea to use automotive wax systems on fiberglass. Automotive systems are frequently designed for paint of different types. Many fiberglass boat systems work well. Painted aluminum is also has different requirements than steel painted with automotive systems.

Get recommendations from your TT manufacturer if you can.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #6

Before I applied the ceramic coating to my car and RV I used Simple Green Extreme, recommended by the manufacturer, to remove dirt and any underlying wax.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the advise.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #8

These products are specifically for gel coat. I use them with good results. https://www.smoovewax.com/
I then wash with this for maintaining the shine and protection. https://www.granitize.com/wash-wax-s3-g/
Old 01-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #9

It is a three step project starting with a good wash, followed by a cleaner wax like 3M cleaner wax, finished off with a protectant such as Meguires Flagship wax.

40 years of saltwater boating here. Many products have been tried over the years. There is no easy one step way to get a lasting shine. There is no cheap product that has the performance of the more costly products. The same amount of labour time goes into using the cheap stuff as the expensive stuff & it lasts half the time. My time is worth far more than the difference in price. Waxing once a year is far better than twice a year with cheap poorly performing products.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #10

I run a detail side business. I take care of just about all kinds of vehicles. From motorcycles, boats, RV's, as well as autos.
The best and longest lasting thing I've found is Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax.
It used to be hard to find. But, now it's on amazon.
Outstanding durability. It's my go to for Rv's and boats.

It is a last step wax. So, it has no cleaners or abrasives. So, the cleaner your surface is before application the better your results.

https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-845.../dp/B000JK2D06
kf5ewr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for reply. I have a variable speed buffer. Can I use a foam pad. Or should I use a cloth bonnet to apply.ive cleaned all the black streaks off with cleaner. Just wondering if there's a cleaner I can use first.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2021, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
Thanks for reply. I have a variable speed buffer. Can I use a foam pad. Or should I use a cloth bonnet to apply.ive cleaned all the black streaks off with cleaner. Just wondering if there's a cleaner I can use first.
Thanks
Depends on the product... but I generally use foam pads since it's easier.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:38 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
[emoji106]