Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Weight-distributing versus weight-carrying

Question, these numbers are significantly different for my truck (approx 9,000 vs 6,000) with the hitch weight around 900 vs 600. Looking at TT's it is hard to tell which they are, is there an easy way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #2

I think I've got what you're asking?

The truck mfg is saying his truck can handle more trailer (tongue) weight when using weight distributing arms. They help disperse the load (tongue weight) to both the front and rear axles of the truck. Without them (weight distributing arms) the weight on the rear of the truck would have the trucks frame acting as a lever, using the rear axle as a fulcrum, and lifting weight from the front axle? Add some side winds to that, and you could possibly have a vehicle with some really interesting (nasty?) handling in side winds?

The trailer doesn't give a darn (weight distibuting vs. none). It will pull fine either way.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I think I've got what you're asking?

The truck mfg is saying his truck can handle more trailer (tongue) weight when using weight distributing arms. They help disperse the load (tongue weight) to both the front and rear axles of the truck. Without them (weight distributing arms) the weight on the rear of the truck would have the trucks frame acting as a lever, using the rear axle as a fulcrum, and lifting weight from the front axle? Add some side winds to that, and you could possibly have a vehicle with some really interesting (nasty?) handling in side winds?

The trailer doesn't give a darn (weight distibuting vs. none). It will pull fine either way.
Thanks ahicks, that helps. I got that information from the bottom of the second page of this PDF
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...itionNov18.pdf

This may help clarify my question
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Talked to a friend today that tows horse trailers a lot and uses wright-distributing arms. But in essence I get these and my towing ability goes from 6,000-9,000 pounds? Seems too good to be true!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Talked to a friend today that tows horse trailers a lot and uses wright-distributing arms. But in essence I get these and my towing ability goes from 6,000-9,000 pounds? Seems too good to be true!
It may be too good to be true. If your TV is a 1/2T with a 4 cyl gas, 6K may too much. If your TV is a 1T dually with diesel then you probably don't really NEED a WD hitch with the 9K TT.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post

It may be too good to be true. If your TV is a 1/2T with a 4 cyl gas, 6K may too much. If your TV is a 1T dually with diesel then you probably don't really NEED a WD hitch with the 9K TT.
It's an expedition 5.4 L V8. Not sure why the difference listed by ford is so large
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #7

Weight carrying means the trailer's tongue weight is resting on the tow-vehicle's hitch with no assistance. This (most -times) cuases sagging in the rear of the TV and a lot of extra weight on the rear axle of the TV

Weight distibuting means that once the tongue is resitng on the tow-vehicles hitch, the weight distibuting bars will disperse a percentage of the weight, evenly over all of the axles on the TV and the TT.

The reason that there is such a difference in the weight ratings is because weight distribution distributes the load off of the rear axle / suspension and provides better handling of the TV. Without it, your putting a lot of strain on the rear end of your TV. (not to mention reducing braking and steering abilities)

They cost a bit to add to the trailer, but worth their weight in gold. The picture can also read as "weight carrying" and "weight distributing"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weight_distribution.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	33322  
bagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks bagpipes, very helpful!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #9

Can you get a weight distributing hitch that is too big? My camper weighs about 6000 lb and I was thing about buying a used hitch rated for 15000 lb
Cjnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My Hansley is rated at 12k. My rig weighs about 6k. The extra capacity just gives you some additional wiggle room.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #11

I think in order to have the 9k tow your expedition needs to have the heavy duty tow package option. Usually means a beefed up radiator and trans cooler...
boiler up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnfamily View Post
Can you get a weight distributing hitch that is too big? My camper weighs about 6000 lb and I was thing about buying a used hitch rated for 15000 lb
Should work fine. Before you hook up to the trailer, be sure the trailer is level front to rear. When you drop the tongue onto the ball, the front of the trailer will squat. So you tighten the spring bars until the trailer is level again.

But if almost tight is not enough and one more chain length is too much, then you don't need to replace the entire WD hitch. You can replace just the spring bars with the ones for less tongue weight. (Ignore the gross trailer weight (GTW) rating and go by the tongue weight (TW) rating.)

If your hitch is a Reese, then you can buy replacement spring bars rated for 800 or 1200 pounds TW to replace your 1,500 pound TW spring bars. You need 900 or 1000 pound TW spring bars, but those are probably not available for Reese WD hitches. If your hitch is some other brand check to see if they have 900 or 1000 pound TW springs available.

If you buy 800-pound tongue weight spring bars, be certain you will not have hitch weight (tongue weight or TW) of more than 800 pounds. Many TTs have TW of 15% or more, so your 6,000 pound GTW TT could have hitch weight of up to 900 pounds and be perfectly normal. Check the tongue weight with a Sherline tongue weight scale after the trailer is wet and loaded for the road, and never exceed the weight of your spring bars.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

I've never met anyone that has had issues with a hitch that was too big but I have read reports of people pulling a 4500lb trailer with 12000lb hitch and causing damage to the trailer frame and the tow vehicles frame due to torquing. Reports I've read seem to indicate that the 12000 bars are too rigid for a lighter trailer and don't flex properly when meeting with bumps and dips such as entering a driveway, fuel station, speed bumps, pot holes etc. In my opinion, better to be over rated than under but I think that they make different tolerances for a reason. I personally wouldn't go too much over.

My 2 cents. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on this.
bagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipes View Post
I've never met anyone that has had issues with a hitch that was too big but I have read reports of people pulling a 4500lb trailer with 12000lb hitch and causing damage to the trailer frame and the tow vehicles frame due to torquing. Reports I've read seem to indicate that the 12000 bars are too rigid for a lighter trailer and don't flex properly when meeting with bumps and dips such as entering a driveway, fuel station, speed bumps, pot holes etc. In my opinion, better to be over rated than under but I think that they make different tolerances for a reason. I personally wouldn't go too much over.

My 2 cents. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on this.
What in the world would you use 12000lb bars on? Using the 10& rule for tounge weight, that would make the trailer 120K (60tons). I wouldn't want that behind my PU. Did you mean 1200lb?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote