Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Weight Distribution

Hi everybody..

We are planning on buying a Coachmen Clipper 17FQ. The GVWR is 3518 lbs. and the tongue weight figures to be about 300 lbs. +

We will be towing it with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. which is rated for 6200 lbs.

Do I need Weight Distribution and Anti-Sway stuff?? Of course the dealer says yes but I've been reading conflicting reports online.

If I do need it can you guys and gals give me some recommendations??

Thanks, Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #2

For just moving it around the yard, weight distributing hitch and sway bar probably not needed. For highway trips, I wouldn't be without them. Single axle trailers can whip pretty bad when a semi passes you. I pulled a 17' trailer with a Jeep Cherokee and a couple times forgot to tighten the sway bar. Remembered quickly as we encountered a bigger vehicle.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

I have a one ton dually, and I still want WD hitch and anti sway. Trailers are big wind sails, and don't ride the best without the hitch.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our previous trailer was a Dutchmen Kodiak (about 4800 pounds out in the rain). On our first trip out to British Columbia I knew immediately that I needed a WD after meeting semis in those mountain passes . We now have a Timber Ridge (2400 pounds heavier) and love how our Andersen WD handles the swaying and removes most of the bucking action going over the bumps.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

WD

we'll be using an Equal I Zer don't leave home without one
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

Test
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

The Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) 2014 owner's manual states that if your gross trailer weight is 3500 lbs or more, a weight distribution hitch (WDH) is mandatory. We also have a JGC 2014 and use a WDH with our 2600 lb trailer. We had a blowout on the trailer last fall at 65 MPH, and the rig came to an easy and safe stop at the side of the Interstate. I attribute the good handling to the combination of the JGC and the WDH.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
The Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) 2014 owner's manual states that if your gross trailer weight is 3500 lbs or more, a weight distribution hitch (WDH) is mandatory. We also have a JGC 2014 and use a WDH with our 2600 lb trailer. We had a blowout on the trailer last fall at 65 MPH, and the rig came to an easy and safe stop at the side of the Interstate. I attribute the good handling to the combination of the JGC and the WDH.

Well I guess that about tells the story.. Thanks for pointing that out..

I'll be getting one

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also your tongue weight could be as high as 450 pounds as that is 13% of the gross weight of 3500. Trailers handle much better when tongue weight is between 12% and 15%.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

For a really good hitch, look at SwayPro By Blue Ox
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, especially with a single axle trailer.

With DW set-ups, the cheaper units will have round trunnion bars (spring bars), the better spring bars will be the square bars. The shank, again, the cheaper ones are "cast steel" the better ones are "forged steel". A buddy of mine showed me his "cast shank" that had broken right in half pulling out of a gas station. I got my set-up online "free shipping" here Reese-Hitches.com

I got the 800lb. square spring bars because my tt. was 550 dry at the hitch. You might go with the 500 or 600 lb. bars.

I think I paid about $450 delivered for WD with 800 lb. square bars, forged shank and ball.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight