Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #43

An IT staff only works on things that are not working. But just look at what is working. All software has bugs but most are small with a work around.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergle View Post
Wow. I REALLY wish I had your luck! I work on a computer 8-10 hours a day, and even with a full-time IT department as backup, there is ALWAYS something that isn't working as expected.
I worked on large main frame computers for 27 years. The problems you are talking about are not with the computer, they are software/operating system problems, 99.9% of the time it's not the computer (hardware), it's just doing what it's told.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeman1 View Post
I worked on large main frame computers for 27 years. The problems you are talking about are not with the computer, they are software/operating system problems, 99.9% of the time it's not the computer (hardware), it's just doing what it's told.
Which mainframes? I worked for Sperry Univac from 1967 to 1992.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I agree, being able to see how much room you have to put out the slides or awning is priceless.

In my experience technology does not break very much. I listen to SiriusXM radio. No static, no 2 or 3 stations at once. Just clear music. And the music I want to listen too. Oh sure - sometimes I say play the wrong channel but that is user error.

I can control the thermostat in the house from my phone - it works everytime.

All the bells and whistles on the 2017 truck still work. The blind spot monitor still works. The fuel injection still works. The power seats still works.

Oh - the smart phone works too. LED lights work. Technology makes life easier not harder.

What technology breaks?
Sirius radio when you're under a tree.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
4 step process to turn on a light? why make it difficult?

My Lippert computer failed after 4 years of use.
To turn on the lights thanks to forest river you have to walk 3/4 of the way to the back of the coach to get to computer.
1. press the hard button
2. press the button to select what program to use
3. press the button to select light
4. press the button of the light selected to turn it on.

Old coach you walked in and turned on the light. end of story.

Old coach if you wanted to turn on porch light/outside entry light
or awning light you reached inside the door and flipped a switch.
now i have to walk 3/4 of the way to the back and press 4 diff times.
I don't call that progress.

When putting awning out the screen does not tell you when its completely out or in. You have to keep walking to the door to look out and check.
Forrest river should have put one computer near the door and the other in the back or where it is now in the bedroom.
Right now both are within 4 ft of each other.

I like electronic stuff, don't get me wrong. It does break down though.
When a rocker switch breaks i know it and i replace it. When my water pump doesn't work ,it's either the switch or the pump. With this Lippert computer system you would have to replace the whole computer if you determine that the pump is ok. Fortunately This wasn't my problem, it was the computer not letting me into menus and bouncing to a bunch of useless generic how to menus such as how to level your travel trailer with lippert leveling system. And It was total generic with that too. i have a motor home and big foot levelers.
I really worry some day when my generator doesn't start. As it is It goes through this computer too. With delays and all and driving down the road it's very hard to tell weather its actually starting or not.
Just saying!! lol

We do love rv-ing and traveling with it. 10,000 miles this year alone.
class c and no tow. Don't like reservations so we travel off season.
Its all give and take.
SeaToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:27 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch hoagland View Post
which mainframes? I worked for sperry univac from 1967 to 1992.
ncr
66-93, I don't know why but it will not let me post caps on NCR.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:34 PM   #49

Well - I went to an RV dealer today

The primary thing that concerns me about the tech are the companies that support it and they eventually go out of business or stop supporting what they’ve put out. Not a big deal with a cell phone or computer (unfortunately now considered disposable technology) but what are you going to do when you can’t get the touchscreen for your central controller?

AMX, a huge audiovisual company, makes a system for automation that is in some higher end coaches. They had an iOS app and after a few years decided they weren’t going to support it anymore. If you happened to update the iOS version on your iPad or iPhone, the app stopped working and now you couldn’t control your system. Sure, there were workarounds, like getting an old iPhone and never updating it, but it is things like that that make me concerned about having too much automation in my coach. By the way AMX didn’t care they left you hanging, they just wanted to sell you updated equipment.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 04:24 AM   #50

I do agree that tech can become obsolete. CD players are a good example. But I still have a CD player that works ... but not in the car/truck. I have dozens of CD's that no longer get played. Before CD's it was cassette tapes. Yes, I have some of those too. Remember 8 track?

There are dozens of examples of tech that is obsolete.

On solid steps - I am seeing dirt gets inside the trailer when the steps are brought up. How big a problem is this ?
Old 12-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #51

Quote:
I do agree that tech can become obsolete. CD players are a good example. But I still have a CD player that works ... but not in the car/truck. I have dozens of CD's that no longer get played. Before CD's it was cassette tapes. Yes, I have some of those too. Remember 8 track?

There are dozens of examples of tech that is obsolete.

On solid steps - I am seeing dirt gets inside the trailer when the steps are brought up. How big a problem is this ?
We have solid steps and have no issue with dirt. When packing up to leave we sweep them off. Takes 10 secs. Normally we have our matt out and that gets swept off as well so the brooms out and in use.
Honestly I just don't see it as an issue. Sure you don't have to sweep fold up steps but for us it's not a big deal. We have a broom stored in the front storage compartment of our TT so it's easy access.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #52

That is kinda what I thought - just sweep them off with the handy broom. I saw this on the new Grand Design trailers. They have the old style steps but put feet on the bottom step.

My initial thought is the solid steps are a big improvement.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:44 PM   #53

Quote:
One thing I did not like was several had composite flooring vs plywood.
Don't be too quick to avoid the newer composite floor materials. Some of them are far better than plywoods (and certainly older composite flooring materials) ever were, in terms of moisture resistance and strength.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 01:28 PM   #54

The floor was from 2009. I think it was foam and not really composite wood. The whole floor was like walking on a sponge. Every step was spongy.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:19 PM   #55

Quote:
That is kinda what I thought - just sweep them off with the handy broom. I saw this on the new Grand Design trailers. They have the old style steps but put feet on the bottom step.

My initial thought is the solid steps are a big improvement.
I will add though that I would never want them on a single door trailer. We tend to stop a few times on travel days and with the solid steps you have to adjust the legs everytime you stop unless you always stop in a parking lot thats level. Thats not our case. Having two doors on our TT we can use the flip out steps for quick food/pee stops. Plus ours are only the 3 step version vs 4 like some others.
They do need some room to setup. But once setup for camping they're really nice.
Trade offs I guess.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer