Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #1

Went to CAT scale and weighed today

Went and weighed the Octane 222 today. Supposed to weigh around 5300 lbs dry. I pull it with a 2017 Chevy double cab 4wd with a 3.42 trans. Tow rating is 9300 lbs and payload is 1649 lbs.

My results were
3320# on front axle
3520# on rear axle
4800# on trailer axle
11640# total weight

My truck weighs about 5350# so also subtracting me and my wife who were in the truck I am coming up with a trailer weight of 5900# with our personal stuff in there.

On occasion we would be hauling a Harley which would add 950# to the trailer.

Do any of you weight and tow experts see any red flags or anything I need to look at or address.

Thanks for your help.
mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

Do you know what the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is for your tow vehicle?
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNau View Post
Do you know what the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is for your tow vehicle?
GVWR for both truck and trailer.....and CVWR for the truck ...and the axles.....FAWR...and RAWR

Is this with water?

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNau View Post

7200# GVWR

Did not have any water. Tank is 59 gallons so you would have 490# more weight with a full tank.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
GVWR for both truck and trailer.....and CVWR for the truck ...and the axles.....FAWR...and RAWR

Is this with water?

Trailer GVWR is 8000#
Both front and rear truck axle is 3950# each.
Truck is 7200#

Axle weight is with 2 adults in vehicle and tongue which is rated at 750#.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

[QUOTE=mbranscum;3350923]Trailer GVWR is 8000#
Both front and rear truck axle is 3950# each.
Truck is 7200#

If front and rear truck axles are 3,950lbs that is more than the 7200lb GVWR.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480310160.210358.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	145478
Old 11-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #8

Did you weigh only the truck with the trailer attached? Both axles on the scale at the same time? Just to verify the total weight of the vehicle? I assume when you weighed you did the front axle first, then the rear you did by placing the entire truck on the scale and subtracting the weight of the front axle to get your rear axle weight?

As far as the total GAWR of the two axles combined; You can possibly be maxed out on the rear axle at the 3950# and be less on the front axle or visa versa. The GAWR of each axle will usually total more than the entire GVWR, as far as what they are rated to carry.

Looking at your actual weights, each axle of the vehicle are under the rated amount. That makes the entire load on the truck itself at 6840# including the tongue weight. So you are not outside of the legal limits on your truck.

You said the trailer was 4800# with a maximum tow capacity of your truck at 9300#. Depending on where you put the Harley will depend on whether you are legal or not. If the Harley goes to the rear of the trailer, then it will minimally effect the weight on the truck itself. Right now you have 3520# on your rear axle. If you put the Harley to the rear of the trailer, to the rear of the trailer axle, most of its weight will go to the trailer and not to your truck. It might even reduce some of the weight on the rear axle of your truck. That would place the entire 950# of the Harley on the trailer. That brings your trailer weight up to 5750#. So, if each of your truck axles are under the maximum rated on the tag, your total weight of the truck being under the GVWR of 7200# and your trailer weight is both under the maximum IT is rated for (8000#) AND the maximum your truck was designed to pull (9300#), you are legal.
I was a long haul truck driver for four years and a heavy equipment operator for the State of California for 10 years.

Since I do not know where you are going to put the Harley I cannot venture a guess on the weight issues. You did good on checking your weights though. Most people do not even do that. Make sure to keep a copy of all your scale tickets. Just in case the manufacturers try to claim you were over loading should you need warranty work later. I really doubt you will ever have any issues with the coppers. You should do another weight with the Harley on board.
RickNau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Need to make three passes across the scale. Same day. Full fuel plus full propane and fresh water. All passengers and gear aboard both vehicles, every time.

Re-weighs at a CAT Scale are $2 after initial $11. Pull off scale and park after each pass. Go inside to pay at fuel desk. See their website for other info.

1) First pass is with WDH tensioned.

2) Second is with WDH slack

3) Third is drop trailer for solo truck weights only.

Truck front axle weight ought to be same in one and three.

Trailer tire pressure should be sidewall maximum. Truck tire pressure should be according to load in One (or after WDH corrections) and according to Load & Pressure Table, but within vehicle manufacturer designated range. (Too high diminishes handling and braking).

Now you can play with loading other heavy items.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat