Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #1

What am I looking for?

We currently have a 36 foot Class A gasser, and are looking to change our way of camping. The Class A is no fun to drive, doesn't have the floorplan we really want, and requires a tow vehicle. So I thought I'd ask here what make and models have what I'm looking for.

Travel trailer or possibly 5th wheel.
Bathroom that us of sufficient size to actually be useful and usable.
Must have a bunkhouse or second bedroom, some kind of bed for my kid so I'm not making a couch into a bed every night.
Light enough to be pulled by a 3/4 ton truck comfortably.
Ground clearance. Here's the issue, where I have to park it on my side lawn, it has to have decent ground clearance, or not a lot of overhang behind the wheels.
Usable kitchen area.
Boondocking/dry camping: We aren't planning a lot of this. The ability to do so is nice but not a must have. I have a generator so that's not an issue.
I'd like it to be made within the last 10 or 12 years, no older probably.

What are my best options to look at? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 09:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadJokeDad View Post
We currently have a 36 foot Class A gasser, and are looking to change our way of camping. The Class A is no fun to drive, doesn't have the floorplan we really want, and requires a tow vehicle. So I thought I'd ask here what make and models have what I'm looking for.

Travel trailer or possibly 5th wheel.
Bathroom that us of sufficient size to actually be useful and usable.
Must have a bunkhouse or second bedroom, some kind of bed for my kid so I'm not making a couch into a bed every night.
Light enough to be pulled by a 3/4 ton truck comfortably.
Ground clearance. Here's the issue, where I have to park it on my side lawn, it has to have decent ground clearance, or not a lot of overhang behind the wheels.
Usable kitchen area.
Boondocking/dry camping: We aren't planning a lot of this. The ability to do so is nice but not a must have. I have a generator so that's not an issue.
I'd like it to be made within the last 10 or 12 years, no older probably.

What are my best options to look at? Thanks.
You want an Airstream Flying cloud bunkhouse.

I couldn't imagine going back to a truck and travel trailer after a class A. I agree the 2000 HR on the F53 was not that great to drive, but I was never in a hurry. Went to a 40' DP and never looked back. 4800 miles Round Trip to Mazatlan Mexico. What a dream compared to doing it 5 years in a gasser.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #3

I don't think a DP is in our budget, sadly.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #4

I don’t have a real good answer for you, I think you should probably narrow it down to fifth wheel or TT. Will you need or want the bed of your truck for storage? The biggest problem I have is hauling bikes with my fifth wheel.
The trailer I have would be perfect for you, except it has a lot of rear overhang and if you need ground clearance, it would be a deal breaker. I will say that after going to bunk beds for the kids I’ll never go back, so much easier.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadJokeDad View Post

I have that problem with our travel trailer. And, BTW, don't forget about clearance in front of the wheels too. The two tracks to our side yard have one steep section right before the road that causes a clearance problem. That one short section, about 65", is at a 13 deg grade. Right now I have some short "ramps" that I leap frog past the TT wheels to get past that section. It is a PITA. I need to raise the trailer about 3", or regrade the paver tracks ($$$). Some day I'll probably raise the trailer, though we are getting pretty good at our "leap frog" ramps. haha.

Anyway, there are online tools that will calculate the needed approach or departure angle based on a couple easy measurements. The output is the maximum grade that your rig will clear. Just Google "Approach Angle Calc". My iPhone has a measurement tool that includes an inclinometer so I can measure the grade of the ramp.

I know this is kind of long winded. I guess the point is take a tape measure. If the TT is level & on level ground you can determine if it will clear the slope you need to negotiate.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I have that problem with our travel trailer. And, BTW, don't forget about clearance in front of the wheels too. The two tracks to our side yard have one steep section right before the road that causes a clearance problem. That one short section, about 65", is at a 13 deg grade. Right now I have some short "ramps" that I leap frog past the TT wheels to get past that section. It is a PITA. I need to raise the trailer about 3", or regrade the paver tracks ($$$). Some day I'll probably raise the trailer, though we are getting pretty good at our "leap frog" ramps. haha.

Anyway, there are online tools that will calculate the needed approach or departure angle based on a couple easy measurements. The output is the maximum grade that your rig will clear. Just Google "Approach Angle Calc". My iPhone has a measurement tool that includes an inclinometer so I can measure the grade of the ramp.

I know this is kind of long winded. I guess the point is take a tape measure. If the TT is level & on level ground you can determine if it will clear the slope you need to negotiate.
In the spot we park the class A, I can only drive it in forwards, then I have to back out on to the street, because of the overhang, and there is no overhang in front. It's about a 40 foot spot, so if I had a shorter TT, it might not be an issue, I don't know for sure. I CAN dig the spot out if I need to, for the right trailer that meets our needs, it's just a PITA to do it. I'm just looking to figure out what models might have the things we need and go look for them.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Take a look at Outdoors RV or Arctic Fox/Nash. Both are well designed for off road use and feature custom designed and built frames and upgraded suspensions. They even have a series that come ready for boondocking with larger tanks, built-in generators, built-in solar and the option of putting 4 batteries on the A frame. Nash calls this the OTG pkg and ORV it is the Backcountry series. ORV offers more bunkhouse models throughout their line up, while Nash sports the only bunkhouse in that group. All of these models are 3/4T towable. IMO there are more bunkhouse rigs in conventional TTs an not so much in the average 5th wheel.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #8

Small fifth wheel toy hauler with separate garage.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote