Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #1

Hi

Bought our first TT and going on Vac ... before that though I need to get some basic or not so basic Items..

I have the TT a battery and propane tanks, sewer hose, garden hose and a few other nic nacs

what else should I have ..

any help would be greatly appreciated

the Mikkelsens
Jamtorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #2

Hi

Bought our first TT and going on Vac ... before that though I need to get some basic or not so basic Items..

I have the TT a battery and propane tanks, sewer hose, garden hose and a few other nic nacs

what else should I have ..

any help would be greatly appreciated

the Mikkelsens
Old 09-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #3

Hopefully by garden hose you actually mean the white fresh water hose? If not, you will want at least one and maybe more of the potable water hoses. And be sure to use them for nothing but drinking water. I always carry about 250 feet of water hose because I do a lot of dry camping and that it is not uncommon for us to have all of it out to fill the water tank. You will also likely need a supply of sewer hose connections and maybe more than the 10 foot piece of cheap hose that you got with the trailer. Also you will want a supply of electric cord connections. 30 to 15 amp adapter for sure. And depending on your trailers power connection maybe a 50 to 30 adapter too. Also be sure to take along a paper and pencil to make notes of those items that you forget the first few times. Most of all, have fun.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Jamtorky,

Welcome to iRV2. You'll find lots of help here.

Well, you've got a start, but you're gonna find you need a lot more "stuff". One place to start is with a site like RVUpgrades & look through the pages to see all the things you'll need & even some things you didn't think you'll need. Here's a few of the items I think you'll want:

Anti-sway bar
First aid kit
Battery operated weather radio
Camp chairs
Bed & Bath: sheets, blankets, pillows, bath towels, washcloths,toilet paper, shampoo,toothbrushes/toothpaste, soap, insect repellant, sunscreen
Cleaning: dish soap, hand soap,dish towels, sponges/scrubbies, basic multi-purpose cleaners (i.e. Clorox, Lysol,Simple Green,baking soda...etc),paper towels, black/grey tank chemicals,small dish pan & dish drainer, cleaning bucket, hand wipes, hand sanitizer, broom, shop towels/rags,trash bags,plastic gloves
Tools: water pressure regulator, water filter, small tool kit (w/hammer, screwdrivers & wrenches),camp saw or hatchet,scissors,pocket knife, lantern, flashlight, batteries, rope, duct tape (1001 uses!), tarp, awning tie downs,twist ties/rubberbands/clothespins, extension cords,bubble levels
Cooking: fire starters, fire wood, lighter fluid, matches, grill for use over fire ring, pots, 8x8 & 9x13 baking pans, frying pan, can opener, coffee pot,coffee filters (can be used as bowls for snacks in a pinch),spoons/forks/knives/,plates/bowls/cups/mugs,spatulas/serving spoons/tongs,hot dog forks, pie irons, basic knife set,plastic wrap/aluminum foil/wax paper/sandwich bags, plastic food storage containers, cooler
Food: this could be endless,depending on what you like. Have basics like water, salt/pepper/preferred seasonings, cooking spray, basic condiments, canned/boxed foods..etc.

I could keep on going, but I've rambled on long enough. I'm sure others will chime in with must haves.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have always had a separate set of linens, dishes, cooking set, etc for the RV. Sure saves moving stuff back and forth. The kitchen is generally stocked with the basic "dry supplies".

Other wise you need an extra 15' to 25'(total of 30' to 50') of water hose, a good water pressure regulator, extra 25' of power cable (extension cord), a 25'(to 50') 15 amp extension cord, roll of duct tape, roll of electrical tape, an assortment of small screws, nut and bolts, tube of contact adhesive, some two sided tape, small tool kit with pliers, cresent wrench, screw drivers, etc. The list can go on depending on your level of comfort with tools.

I carry a small tool box in the truck with a corded reversible drill, drill bits, box of electrical connectors and crimp tool, some wire, small soldering iron, tube of caulk, set of scoket wrenches, ...basically a small shop set of tools.

For the truck, I carry a spare accessory belt, fuel filter, mixed set of fuses and bulbs for the trailer and truck, set of reflectors or flares, can of flat-fix, plug in lamp for the truck.

You need to figure what degree of repairs you are willing to attempt while parked or on the side of the road.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #6

WOW .. never thought about alot of that ... water purifier... never even figured...by garden hoses, I did mean potable hose ..

By anti sway .. are we talking equalizer bars??? are they the same ??

We just purchased a Jayco 30BHDS for our first trailer and take delivery this weekend ... and we are being pretty (very very very)adventurous by taking our first trip to Disneyland.. about 2000 miles rounder.. I think we will find out in a hurry if we have forgotten anything

I am searching websites like campingworld and RVupgrade to find basic items that I may need for the trailer along our travels ..

keep the info coming

thanks everyone

Bill and Nicole

14 Days and counting till Disneyland

2008 F250SD FX4
2008 Jayco 30BHDS
Old 09-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
the first weekend you get the trailer, park it on your driveway and spend the weekend living in it without going into your bighouse,
don't empty your tanks on your neighbor's lawn,
you will quickly develop a list,
however, quite often half of all 'necessay' things that newbies bring along will never be used,
leave that half back at home
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Oh, almost forgot: wheel chocks. Don't want that baby rolling away from you once you unhitch it from your tow vehicle.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #9

if the dealer gave you the sewer hose, upgrade it right away. he likely gave you a cheapy and mine always leaked from the dealer

walmart will have better prices on most items you need.

don't forget the RV Toilet paper(cheaper at WM) and the tank chemicals.

where are you staying at Disneyland? we stayed at in Anaheim.Orangeland RV park and loved it. couldn't put the awning out due to the big orange tree right in front of us (fresh oranges all the time).

second the motion on small toolkit with electrical tape, some connectors, wire and such. a roll of duct tape or stronger (gorilla tape) will not be a bad investment.

essentially, once you think of your basics - eating, sleeping, cleaning, rolling down the road - everything else will be a work in progress.

do you need tiki torches ----not really, but will you get them.....eventually. do you need the guchi outdoor bbq....no....but you will get one. thats the fun, expanding. patio lights to hang from the awning, nice.... but not mandatory.

figure out what you need by needing it, not thinking you will need it and not use it. I bought a second battery to keep charged, but haven't used it because I haven't needed to. the sessions of dry camping haven't presented a problem.

my biggest luxury item that most don't think of.....laundry rack from Walmart. cheap and you can put the towels and suits on it after you return from hottub, pool or beach.

every spring we gut almost everything out, and if we didn't use it, remove it. we didn't at first but then discovered that the trailer had tonnes of toys that the kids had outgrown, put in a compartment and left it there.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 AM   #10

i have something ya need,

a spare set of flashlight Batterys...
i woke up this morning and my lights didnt work
went to grab my flashlight and check it out...
the batterys were Dead...
had to bring my lantern in too see...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
Oh man, where do I start?

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>water filter
<LI>wood blocks/planks or Lynx Levelers for leveling TT
<LI>Wood block for under tongue jack
<LI>lawn chairs
<LI>folding table for patio
<LI>BBQ
<LI>extra length(s) of sewer hose and FW hose
<LI>broom & dustpan
<LI>lightweight vacuum (we prefer an upright)
<LI>flashlights
<LI>tire gauge
<LI>ladder (we carry an 11' telescoping ladder)
<LI>duct tape
<LI>tools
<LI>air compressor (we carry a small 120VAC Sears tankless compressor)
<LI>Last but not least, a sense of humor for when things go wrong [/list]
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote