Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
x2 on the request. I would like to understand your rationale. Seems with the pricing is comparable, the only thing i can see different is the Honda has the 30A connector built in.
Certainly there are several reasons If I were to rebuy Id go with the Yamahas

1. Fuel gauge

2. Fuel cutoff switch to drain float bowl- without opening the cover and draining to ground like with a honda

3. Timing chain Vs timing belt. - no maintenance on this item.

4. Iron cylinder liner vs nikasil. If you snag a ring or just wear it out you can bore the sammie out- no way to do that with Honda.

5. Upgraded bearings - this was brought up to me by a 3rd party.

The yamaha is newer and addresses some of the shortcoming of the decade older design of the Honda.

I love my Hondas, but the Yamaha design is simply more robust, removes a full maintenance point (belt) - and is designed for a longer ownership.

Look at both unit EPA hour rating and you'll see the EPA consider the Yammie to be a longer lasting unit and has rated its hours to sta within EPA emission higher than the Hondas.

Yamaha is every bit the small engine company Honda is.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Certainly there are several reasons If I were to rebuy Id go with the Yamahas

1. Fuel gauge

2. Fuel cutoff switch to drain float bowl- without opening the cover and draining to ground like with a honda

3. Timing chain Vs timing belt. - no maintenance on this item.

4. Iron cylinder liner vs nikasil. If you snag a ring or just wear it out you can bore the sammie out- no way to do that with Honda.

5. Upgraded bearings - this was brought up to me by a 3rd party.

The yamaha is newer and addresses some of the shortcoming of the decade older design of the Honda.

I love my Hondas, but the Yamaha design is simply more robust, removes a full maintenance point (belt) - and is designed for a longer ownership.

Look at both unit EPA hour rating and you'll see the EPA consider the Yammie to be a longer lasting unit and has rated its hours to sta within EPA emission higher than the Hondas.

Yamaha is every bit the small engine company Honda is.

UD
Thanks, this was very helpful.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #31

FYI honda only sells more in the states. Overseas (asia) the yamaha is more popular for gensets, genset welders, gas powered tools and even motor bikes.

Too many americans hype on Honda I live here and nobody in japan buys honda powered gensets as they cost too much + Hondas warranty sucks (in asia).

also Yamaha is the OEM maker for all gensets below 5Kw except for honda. they make all of denyo's, suzuki, airman, yanmar, and kawasaki's here in japan...just for info's sake.

kenn
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #32

Have 2 Yamaha 2000w gens with parallel kit. Runs my 15k a/c just fine. Will not start a/c in econ mode. As pointed out in a previous post the fuel shutoff will not let fuel into the carb. This is the way I always shut off the gens so there is no gas left in the carbs. Also use non ethanol gas.

Based on threads on other boards, the 2400 Yamaha will start a 13.5k a/c but most have trouble with 15k a/c units.
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #33

Thanks Uncle Dave
rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #34

When I had a camper with a 13.5k BTU AC I bought a Yamaha EF2400 ISHC inverter generator and it was great. Started the AC, had lots of power for other things, very quiet. At about 75 pounds it was heavy, but I could pick it up myself. But I moved up to bigger camper with a 15.5K BTU AC Sind it would not start it.

So I went with the motto Go Big or Go Home and got a Honda EU 6500 IS. It does everything and does it almost as quietly as the Yamaha. The big difference of course is the weight. Two people can get it in and out of my truck, but it is a monster. Looking around it appears Honda has replaced this with the EU7000 which claims 7000 watts for about the same price.

I'm not going to debate the fact this generator costs 10 times some of the cheaper generators (non inverting). But I'm quite happy with it. It's a great home back up generator too.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #35

That is one of the better Honda Offerings. We used them at the workplace on a regular basis, and for a 6K genset, they are really quite, sip gas and fairly reliable Originally I wnted a smaller version of this but settled on the Yamaha due to price, service, and warranty here in Japan that qwould be a beast to load without several friends though
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
Have 2 Yamaha 2000w gens with parallel kit. Runs my 15k a/c just fine. Will not start a/c in econ mode. As pointed out in a previous post the fuel shutoff will not let fuel into the carb. This is the way I always shut off the gens so there is no gas left in the carbs. Also use non ethanol gas.

Based on threads on other boards, the 2400 Yamaha will start a 13.5k a/c but most have trouble with 15k a/c units.
I don't think it would kick over on eco even if you put a big hard start capacitor in it.

You could try a big supco hard start kit-
It would make it easier to kick when hot now by a long way - easier on genset and AC unit in long haul.

UD
Old 01-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
When I had a camper with a 13.5k BTU AC I bought a Yamaha EF2400 ISHC inverter generator and it was great. Started the AC, had lots of power for other things, very quiet. At about 75 pounds it was heavy, but I could pick it up myself. But I moved up to bigger camper with a 15.5K BTU AC Sind it would not start it.

So I went with the motto Go Big or Go Home and got a Honda EU 6500 IS. It does everything and does it almost as quietly as the Yamaha. The big difference of course is the weight. Two people can get it in and out of my truck, but it is a monster. Looking around it appears Honda has replaced this with the EU7000 which claims 7000 watts for about the same price.

I'm not going to debate the fact this generator costs 10 times some of the cheaper generators (non inverting). But I'm quite happy with it. It's a great home back up generator too.
That 6500 is a beautiful genset man congrats. A real home powerhouse.

UD
Old 01-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #38

I was in Costco the other day and saw a Champion generator that runs on propane and/or gas....anyone have any info on this generator? Seemed like a good alternative.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookemdanno View Post
I was in Costco the other day and saw a Champion generator that runs on propane and/or gas....anyone have any info on this generator? Seemed like a good alternative.
Yes I work at costco and It's been quite the hit. More so for a back up for your home. It's pretty loud and waaaay to heavy to move around. We also sell a smartertools 2k portable generator that can be linked together and its powered by a Yamaha engine!

Just like on a boat I find it best to have 2 smaller engines or generators that link up. So if one fails you will have a back up...
MitchellPnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookemdanno View Post
Yes,

They aren't remotely in the same league as a honda or yamaha inverter gensets.

Night and day difference in these products.

As an occasional home back genset its just ok.

For any kind of long term or continual use stay away.

I know everyone wants to hear that the 500 dollar chinese cheapie or even better real briggs and strattens are just as good- but its simply not the case.

UD
Old 01-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
We have a Yamaha EF3000ISE. Third season and love it . We power a Wildcat T28RKS with it and no problem running air conditioer etc. Only caution is if your running air just think before you flash up the microwave, electric kettle etc etc all at once ! The unit is ultra quiet (Much same DB rating as the Honda.) Only downside is that it is heavy! I have a set of ramps to roll it on and off the truck but often don't even do that if we are just overnighting.
Good luck

Filterman
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Will the Honda 2KW unit run a 13.5 AC if that is all that is on? Really like the size and weight of the 2000W unit but need to be able to run the AC in an emergency, like truck brakes down in the middle of no where and it's 100+ deg. Are there other 2kw units that might do it better, Yamaha has the 2400 that I can lift and I know it would do it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator