Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #1

What Generator size/ brand?

I have a 21ft Micro Lite Travel Trailer and we are used to having a motor home with a generator. My question is what size of generator could I buy that I could use if there was no power to plug into? To be able to run lights, AC, TV… It has a 15,000 BTU AC unit. Does anybody have any idea? I have no clue but I figure some of you guys here know it all.
TinkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 02:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkMan View Post
I have a 21ft Micro Lite Travel Trailer and we are used to having a motor home with a generator. My question is what size of generator could I buy that I could use if there was no power to plug into? To be able to run lights, AC, TV… It has a 15,000 BTU AC unit. Does anybody have any idea? I have no clue but I figure some of you guys here know it all.
I did a lot of research on this and found the best one for me would be the Champion Dual Fuel 3100 RV ready. As it turned out we didn't get one because we ended up with a motorhome that had a generator but a friend bought one and I was really impressed with how quiet it was, plus it has a 30 amp trailer outlet on it and you can run it on propane if you don't want to mess with gasoline and gummed up carburetor. It does weight close to 100 lbs so if that's an issue next would be the Honda eu2200i, very easy to tote around but only 2,200 watts so you'll need an easy start on the AC, good idea to have that anyway no matter what generator. You won't be able to run anything else while the AC is on, not even your inverter. Some folks buy 2 Hondas and the companion kit, if you have the room and the cash that's a good option and will run everything you want on a 30 amp RV.

Others will chime in with cheaper Honda clones but I didn't research those, didn't want to take a chance on getting stuck with a poor quality product. They might be fine but I just don't know.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have both a Honda EU3000is and an Onan P4500i. The Honda is the quietest generator out there but can be sensitive to fuel with ethanol. This generator is heavy, 150 lbs with fuel! The Honda will easily run one A/C unit but if other things are already running it will trip the breaker when the A/C starts. Honda is replacing the EU3000is with a new inverter design.

The Onan P4500i is a new inverter design. It has a very nice information panel and a key fob remote start. It will probably run two RV A/C units if you stager the start ups. It will even run my air compressor (and the Honda will not). The Onan is very quiet compared to the industrial style generators but not as quiet as the Honda. The Onan has wheels and a telescoping handle which makes it easier to move around.

Both generators will run for a very long time on internal fuel and you can add extended run kits to them. The deal breaker is the Onan is half the price of the Honda. You can even find a Westinghouse iGen4500 look alike that looks just like the Onan for around $800.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:04 PM   #4

If you want to beable to repair it 10 years from now , BUY a Honda. you have a few choices when it comes to Honda generators.

the have the newEU2200I and companion EU2200ITAN , you buy one of each and a micro-air soft start for the AC unit. quiet and light weight.

OR you can look at the new Honda EU3200I suit case , I would say the Micro-air is still a good idea regardless of the generator you plan on useing .

and the last honda option is the EU3000I , its about 130 lbs but by far the best built ,longest running and quite under a load.

I have the EU2200I pair and its 4400 watts at peak and 4000 continues with the paralleling kit.

I have a Yamaha at home also that is a inverter also , that unit is coming up on 20 years old and possible 2000 hours of run time , Its been a great small generator but louder then I would like for camping. Yamaha EG2800I . The motor is getting tired and it still starts the AC in the camper with the help of the Micro-Air installed.

Do your homework, Warranty claims are not easy to deal with any of the others. Good Luck finding a Honda owner that has needed to get repairs done . I am sure some one has needed a cuarburator because they left fuel in it . That NOT a manufacture issue , owner caused ....

Honda set the price, no matter where you see it being sold the bottom line is they cannot sell below the hard numbers that Honda tells their dealer. You best option is to see what else the selling vender can do for you in the deal.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #5

I use two Honda EU2000. Easy to carry. Runs everything just fine.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:59 AM   #6

Well you've heard from the Honda group. It's generally accepted they are the gold standard for portable generators. And priced accordingly. If you want to shop in the bargain basement and not annoy your campground neighbors look at the Harbor Freight ultraquiet line. If you do go the HF route, get the expended warranty and keep the receipt. Warranty work is dealt with by exchange for a new one at any HF.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:34 AM   #7

most generator engines are a chonda- honda engine revised to to the chinese. Getting parts for the engine is a non issue. Most ppl will throw their genset away and buy a new one anyway. Especially this crowd.

I bought a champion 3650.
It's like 3 db louder than a honda. It has a surge of 4500 watts so it is plenty for a 30 amp camper. It has an eco option which is kind of nice but it trips when I run a large air compressor on it in eco mode, for the camper though eco is fine and quieter than full on.
my champion was made in vietnam fwiw.
My cheap kobalt oil less compressor is louder than the generator also.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:54 AM   #8

After we installed a micro air easy start, we loved our generator. With the easy start, you don’t need a big generator, so we went with the Champion 2500w dual fuel. We ONLY run it on propane. With propane, there is no mess or smell, or safety concerns, and no concern about gasoline going bad in the carburetor. And, you don’t need to refill it with fuel at usually a very inconvenient time. Our gennie will run for 30 hours off one 20lb bottle of propane. We carry an extra bottle in the truck bed. If it runs dry, we just swap it out with a bottle from the tongue. The 2500w Champion puts out 1800w (15amps) running on propane, which is sufficient to run the A/C, and all dc loads, and battery charger simultaneously. If the A/C is running, the gennie will not run a high amperage ac appliance at the same time. Our gennie only weighs 39 lbs (a true relief for us older folks) making it easy to load into the pass through, and it’s safe in the pass through because there are no gasoline fumes.

Just a note about generator sizes: there is no advantage to having a generator with a 30amp outlet if it can’t output much more than 15amps, in which case, a 30/15 dogbone works just fine. And, a 100lb generator of 3,500 watts is still not big enough to run the A/C and a high amperage appliance simultaneously. Plus, the larger generator will burn about 30% more fuel. So, I question the need to buy any generator larger than what is needed to run your easy start equipped A/C. The smaller generator will be much less expensive to buy and to operate.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #9

Lots of options out there and "best" will depend on how you measure such things. Many buy the smaller EU2200is or equivalent generators and use a soft start, etc. and that's a legitimate choice. I wanted the ultimate in quietness, longevity, reliability and run time so I bought a Honda EU3000is.....it's not cheap and it's not light but it is the best in the things that matter to me.

You sure you have a 15,000 BTUH AC unit? seems odd for a 21' trailer called "micro lite".

Dave
Old 07-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #10

we have a 3500 inverter Champion its a real nice generator and runs everything we have. we were camped at Colter Bay in the Tetons in the area specified for generator usage. to my surprise almost everyone had a Predator gen from Harbor Freight. and to my amassment they are very quiet. i like my Champion because of the remote start and wouldn't have it any other way. but if the Predator had remote start maybe i would have one.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
After we installed a micro air easy start, we loved our generator. With the easy start, you don’t need a big generator, so we went with the Champion 2500w dual fuel. We ONLY run it on propane. With propane, there is no mess or smell, or safety concerns, and no concern about gasoline going bad in the carburetor.
I just took a look at that one and it looks very nice. Do you have any issues at high altitudes? I wonder if it will run 13.5 AC and a converter at the same time while on propane? I am seriously considering removing my 200 lb. loud, smoky stinky diesel Onan and putting a portable propane inverter one in it's place. I would have to get an easy start which I'm planning on anyway.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:21 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If we are not anticipating using the AC (15K BTU) our 2500 watt Champion does just fine. If we are going to warmer climates and want/need the AC capability then a Champion 4500 watt gets the nod. Both are inverter units.
Trailer is a 2019 Outdoors RV 24RLS.
I also have a Champion 2500 watt dual fuel but not so sure how well I like it. You lose about 20% capability on propane. We are over 6000' above sea level so power is down to start with and on propane it just feels really anemic.

I really like the Champions, substantial savings on purchase over a Honda, run great with very clean power and outstanding US support.
Take the time to break it in correctly.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I just took a look at that one and it looks very nice. Do you have any issues at high altitudes? I wonder if it will run 13.5 AC and a converter at the same time while on propane? I am seriously considering removing my 200 lb. loud, smoky stinky diesel Onan and putting a portable propane inverter one in it's place. I would have to get an easy start which I'm planning on anyway.
We have a 13.5 A/C and it runs fine with the easy start. When running the A/C, we turn down the charge amperage of our hybrid inverter/charger from 60amp to 10amps. We’ve used the generator above 5,000 ft,and it worked fine for normal use, but at that altitude, we didn’t need to run the A/C. So, to be honest, I just don’t know if it will run the A/C at 8,000ft or higher. But that scenario is not likely to happen. Never been that high in elevation and felt we needed A/C. The light weight of the gennie was a godsend, both for my age, and the limited payload of our tow vehicle.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've a champion 2800 for several years. Quiet. Easy starting. Never a problem. Runs one air conditioner. Add a Micro-Air EasyStart for even less startup load.

If buying today I'd look at a similar champion - with dual fuel with remote electric start/stop.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator