RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 58
What other TTs are comparable quality to Minnie Winnie TTs?

After ungodly amounts of looking, reading, and window shopping, my wife and I have decided that the Minnie Winnie 2455BHS checks every single box. I've looked at Lance and quite a few other common ones but I keep coming back to the Minnie. The problem is they are hard to find used anywhere near my house (DC suburbs). My budget is around $20k. I've found some that are perfect but they're 500 miles away. That comes with its own unique set of disadvantages and complications...

My TV is a Ram 1500 Hemi Crew with towing package and 1430 payload. So 7k is the max loaded and 28' long is all I want to tow. I'm installing a Blue Ox WDH and have excellent tires for towing so I have the TV covered.

Here's what I need advice on:

1. Is travelling 1000 miles round trip to buy a TT worth the hassle and expense? Has anyone used a delivery service to have the TT delivered?

2. What other TTs other than Lance are in the same class of quality and price as Minnies? We have 4 kids so a bunkhouse type unit is a requirement. I'm a good mechanic but I hate fixing things that we're put together poorly or with really cheap parts.

3. I've recently seen new 2018s on sale at dealers for as low as 22-23k. I'm a good negotiator but I'm not sure that I want to spend that much or take the depreciation hit of a new TT. When MSRP is $33k and the sale price is already down to $23k, is there really that much more negotiating room? Like down to $20k? I've haven't negotiated on a new unit because I planned on used but I'm tempted now... It's never easy is it? lol

4. Other than RVTrader and Craigslist, are there any other good resources for finding used TTs?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice. My head has been full of this stuff for a month now. I really want to complete a purchase before April but it hasn't been easy.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,418
Grand Design would also be a good one to look at. But be sure you also pay close attention to hitch weight.
If it was me, before I drove 1k miles I would have an inspector take a look at it first. Then yes if it was in good shape I would have no problem traveling that far. But remember just because itís new doesnít mean itís trouble free. A well kept slightly used unit is more than likely less trouble.
__________________
Owners of a 2018 Lance 1995
St.George, UT
Former 02 Intrigue by Country Coach
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Grand Design would also be a good one to look at. But be sure you also pay close attention to hitch weight.
If it was me, before I drove 1k miles I would have an inspector take a look at it first. Then yes if it was in good shape I would have no problem traveling that far. But remember just because itís new doesnít mean itís trouble free. A well kept slightly used unit is more than likely less trouble.
I've looked at GD but unfortunately the floorplan we need is over my weight comfort level.

One of the Winnies that's 500 miles away is a 2017 with asking price of $16.9 so it's right in the pocket and yes, I would never consider driving that far without paying an inspector first. Under $17k is ideal because I plan on replacing the tires immediately as well as service the bearings/bushings. I would have money to take care of any factory soft spot. That's my biggest hesitation new. Yes, I could afford $23k give or take but that's only the beginning with spending money. lol
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,418
May want to post some questions on this trailer on the Winnebago owners forum. May get some info on known problem areas if there is any. Good Luck
__________________
Owners of a 2018 Lance 1995
St.George, UT
Former 02 Intrigue by Country Coach
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Freqz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 940
LOTS of good options in that weight and price class. About $25k new, 27-29í bumper to ball ultralight bunk house? Pretty well every TT manufacturer has a variation on that floorplan.

Buying used a couple of years old theyíre all about the same...itís condition, condition, condition. They donít all come in cool colors like the Winnie though
__________________
2018 ORV Timber Ridge 24rks
2017 F350 6.7 CC DRW
Freqz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
PKI
Senior Member
 
PKI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 571
Yes, I would pack up and roll to see a coach that was priced right and interested me. It's a fun thing to visit TTs and talk to owners. Not so much dealers. An inspector may be of value, but if you have learned what you need to know, you are the best inspector. Just walk if it's not right.

Lance and Winnies are not comparable. If you can find a Lance in your price range that has been well maintained, that's a winner. The question you have to ask is, why is it in your price range.

Look at the Nash and see if you can fit your needs. They are a good coach, but may exceed your price range.

Bunk house? Kids can make a bed, pull out a sleeping bag, You just need a 6 sleeper. Widen your horizon. It's a room with a view. Lots of rooms work if they stay warm and dry.

We started looking at the Winnie too. It was our go to. But in the end we thought we could do better. If you can't, it's better to buy what you feel is right for you.
__________________
Travel Safe and with a Smile! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Yes, I would pack up and roll to see a coach that was priced right and interested me. It's a fun thing to visit TTs and talk to owners. Not so much dealers. An inspector may be of value, but if you have learned what you need to know, you are the best inspector. Just walk if it's not right.

Lance and Winnies are not comparable. If you can find a Lance in your price range that has been well maintained, that's a winner. The question you have to ask is, why is it in your price range.

Look at the Nash and see if you can fit your needs. They are a good coach, but may exceed your price range.

Bunk house? Kids can make a bed, pull out a sleeping bag, You just need a 6 sleeper. Widen your horizon. It's a room with a view. Lots of rooms work if they stay warm and dry.

We started looking at the Winnie too. It was our go to. But in the end we thought we could do better. If you can't, it's better to buy what you feel is right for you.
Being on the east coast makes Nash and Lance really hard to come by. There are few choices within 500 miles and basically none within 300. My kids are older. Mid teens and low 20s. My 3 daughters can choose to share a bed but my son needs his own bunk. He's 6'3" too. Lol. He might need 2 beds.

Originally I intended to buy a keystone, forest river, jayco etc but after looking at them closely I really wasn't fond of the quality. I saw a lot of things that I would probably be fixing sooner rather than later. I also have to store outside. I'll cover it but the elememts have a way of making things leak. Haven't seen many leak issues with winnies other than the slide. I can fix that no problem. Poorly built/sealed roofs is something I will never take a chance with.

Any other manufacturers I should consider? I want fiberglass. I've owned boats and know how to maintain repair fiberglass. Not a fan of the aluminum trailers I've looked at so I x'd those off my list a while ago.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
keymastr's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,397
Pretty small fresh tank for a trailer that sleeps 8 people. Mine sleeps 4 and has 80 fresh and a 10 gallon water heater vs the 6 in the Winnie. Pass through doors seem a little small as well. Overall a nice looking trailer though.
__________________
2020 F28 RKS Titanium
2017 Creekside 23 RBS
2016 F250 Super Crew XLT
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,727
Cool Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Last winter (2018) I joined this Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. My plan is to keep it and continue to use it because all the modifications and repairs have brought it up to my minimum standards. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
I found a thread on the iRV2 forum started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000ís of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 2? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash
__________________
Paul Bristol
Kodiak Cub 176RD
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,727
A thousand miles to get an excellent quality used trailer from a private owner at a bargain price would be acceptable to me now. It would not have been a year ago when I bought my new Kodiak Cub. Experience is a good teacher.
I originally thought a new trailer experience would be as good as buying a new Toyota. I know better now.
__________________
Paul Bristol
Kodiak Cub 176RD
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,727
For Sale Winnie Minnie

Please see this iRV2 thread.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...ml#post4626963
__________________
Paul Bristol
Kodiak Cub 176RD
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
PKI
Senior Member
 
PKI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 571
The deal with going a fair distance to get a viable coach is that the trip there is a long drive, but the trip home is an RV shakedown adventure. That's a special kind of trip.

Aluminum vs fiberglass - the fiberglass egg trailers are generally well reguarded, but they are not large units. Bigger trailers that use fiberglass can do it well or in some cases have panels that delaminate. Aluminum can dent and be straightened, but often leaves a crease that can only be corrected by replacing the panel. So, it's the construction as much or more than the material, that will give you more grief. Wood rots, but it's an inexpensive material. It also does not transmit as much heat/cold as metal. So it gets used a lot. That makes leaks which result in rot your worst threat. You don't need to damage the coach if you take care in use, but the weather constantly trys to attack the structure. I like the aluminum structures - less wood. But I do understand the attraction of a good fiberglass coach.

You might look at the Elements, but they are short beds and would require modification. You might look at the toy haulers. The toy bay can be easily used as a bunk house. Some find this flexible layout more usable.

You might just buy your Minni and get on with enjoying your RV adventure.
__________________
Travel Safe and with a Smile! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The deal with going a fair distance to get a viable coach is that the trip there is a long drive, but the trip home is an RV shakedown adventure. That's a special kind of trip.

Aluminum vs fiberglass - the fiberglass egg trailers are generally well reguarded, but they are not large units. Bigger trailers that use fiberglass can do it well or in some cases have panels that delaminate. Aluminum can dent and be straightened, but often leaves a crease that can only be corrected by replacing the panel. So, it's the construction as much or more than the material, that will give you more grief. Wood rots, but it's an inexpensive material. It also does not transmit as much heat/cold as metal. So it gets used a lot. That makes leaks which result in rot your worst threat. You don't need to damage the coach if you take care in use, but the weather constantly trys to attack the structure. I like the aluminum structures - less wood. But I do understand the attraction of a good fiberglass coach.

You might look at the Elements, but they are short beds and would require modification. You might look at the toy haulers. The toy bay can be easily used as a bunk house. Some find this flexible layout more usable.

You might just buy your Minni and get on with enjoying your RV adventure.
I've read all the specs of many fiberglass paneled trailers and the Minnie has a fairly stout aluminum tube structure and reinforced fiberglass panels. I like that combination. I know ALL about wood and fiberglass. I redid the stringers in a mid 1980s fiberglass Parker fishing boat. Wood stringers were rotten and the floor was sagging. The very short story of that adventure is I will NEVER do that again. My sore spots had sore spots for 3 months after I finished the job.

The perfect match trailer for my family is the Lance but being so hard to find anywhere in the east and also no way to get into one in good condition for 20k or less makes it a budget buster. My original budget was $15k but after looking it became apparent very quickly that $15k would only get us into a trailer that would end up being a fairly high cost of ownership. I have an analytical personality. If I see something I don't like with any machine/car/boat I own I compulsively have to fix it or it eats away at me. Especially anything structural or mechanical.

I can deal with crappy cushions and things like that but the bones have to be solid enough. I have a mid 1960's house because of this character flaw. Yea, the newer homes were beautiful and spacious but damn they are built cheaply. My house is in better shape now that when it was new over 50 years ago. I'll snap screws drilling into studs because the wood is so hard. Things like that are important to me but everything has a budget limit.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobChill View Post
I've read all the specs of many fiberglass paneled trailers and the Minnie has a fairly stout aluminum tube structure and reinforced fiberglass panels. I like that combination. I know ALL about wood and fiberglass. I redid the stringers in a mid 1980s fiberglass Parker fishing boat. Wood stringers were rotten and the floor was sagging. The very short story of that adventure is I will NEVER do that again. My sore spots had sore spots for 3 months after I finished the job.



The perfect match trailer for my family is the Lance but being so hard to find anywhere in the east and also no way to get into one in good condition for 20k or less makes it a budget buster. My original budget was $15k but after looking it became apparent very quickly that $15k would only get us into a trailer that would end up being a fairly high cost of ownership. I have an analytical personality. If I see something I don't like with any machine/car/boat I own I compulsively have to fix it or it eats away at me. Especially anything structural or mechanical.



I can deal with crappy cushions and things like that but the bones have to be solid enough. I have a mid 1960's house because of this character flaw. Yea, the newer homes were beautiful and spacious but damn they are built cheaply. My house is in better shape now that when it was new over 50 years ago. I'll snap screws drilling into studs because the wood is so hard. Things like that are important to me but everything has a budget limit.


There is a 2012 Lance 2385 for sale in GA on RVusa.com
__________________
Owners of a 2018 Lance 1995
St.George, UT
Former 02 Intrigue by Country Coach
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quality



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minnie Winnie :: 1985 Winnebago Minnie Winnie winnielover iRV2 Owners Registry 0 06-28-2017 11:16 PM
Comparable Angler3041 Newmar Owner's Forum 20 01-19-2015 11:33 PM
Minnie Winnie vs. Minnie John95683 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 18 09-11-2007 04:56 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.