Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What rating on truck tires?

It is time to put new tires on my truck (F-250 Ford). I was wonder what rating of tire other TT owners are using on their trucks. I always run a light truck tire, but am wondering if I should be using an 8 or 10 ply tire rather than a standard 6 ply, as most standard LT tires are. The loaded weight of my trailer is around 8500 LB. I use a Reese Duel Cam weight distribution hitch and my tongue weight is not that heavy. I know I should get everything weighed, but haven't as yet. I don't want to loose ride quality, if possible. I will probably put on Michelins. I have a way of getting good pricing on this brand. Brother in law works for them. I wait for your guidance. THANKS

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

load range E
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Does your pickup have 16" tires? or 17" tires> or 18" tires? And some of the new ones even have 20" tires. :(

If it's a 2004 or earlier, it came with LT235/85R16E. And Michelin makes the perfect replacement: XPS Rib or XPS Traction in size LT235/85R16E. That's what I ran on my '99.5 F-250 diesel for several years. Expensive, but DW is worth it.

If your 2005-up F-250 has 17" or 18" tires, then stick with the stock size - probably LT265/70R17E or LT275/70R18E. Michelin doesn't make the XPS in that size, so I would go with LTX in your choice of tread - all season (A/S), mud terrain (M/S) or all terrain (A/T).
Shop for Light Truck Tires | Michelin Tires#
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

I would go 10 ply for safety. At least it makes me feel better.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

"Ply" is an outdated term and no longer has meaning. "Load Range" is a bit closer, and in common use, but Load Index is the mandated comparison to check (higher the number, the higher the load factor). See tech articles on TIRE RACK.

There is no good reason to run a tire with a lower weight range than what the wheel can carry (and the truck, up to AWR). And MICHELIN is pretty well a no-brainer (with maybe a couple of others) for longest life and highest reliability.

Mine came with the LTX A/S and the first set still had 4/32's or better at 120k miles. Second set may last me until 250k miles at present wear rate. The single comparable I've come across so far is the BRIDGESTONE Duravis m500. Both of these are closed shoulder highway rib tires. For a bit more traction, the comparable LTX AT/2 and the r700, respectively, may not last quite as long but have very good reports.

As always, with tires, check anything by JIMNLIN.

How to set correct pressure is a whole 'nother thread.

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you don't exceed the GVWR of your truck, use that number to get appropriate tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
just make sure that the load rating is sufficient to carry your axle load. PLUS ONE for the Michelins. I run the LTX A/S on my F350.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Each to their own. If you want tires that will hold up to heavy loads get E rated and if you also want to avoid most flats get Ten ply, they are very stong.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote