Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #1

what runs off 12 in my trailer??

I'm new to travel trailers and bought my first one used a few weeks back and it came all set up on seasonal lot(2017 Shasta 31 ft. I Know there is a inverter and I looked at all the breakers and fuses in the panel. Heres my question:
1. Would all the house hold style breakers be AC voltage...it what im thinking?
2. Are all the car type blade fuses 12 volt circuits...also what im thinking?
3. If my fridge is 12 volt (which I know because you can here the inverter working when the fridge is running)...what else besides lights could possibly be 12 volt?
And last question is my tounge jack don't seem to work just by pressing toggles. Is that a problem or does it only work when trucks trailer wiring is hooked up? why could it possibly not work? I have just been fiddling with things trying to figure out how stuff works. But any added information would definitely help me in figuring some of this out!
Z06 FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Welcome. I don't know your trailer, but standard stuff applies. House type breakers are AC; Automotive style fuses are DC. If your inverter is running when the fridge is on, then the fridge isn't DC; unless the inverter is also a charger, and is charging the batteries while the fridge is on. Normally, the furnace, water heater, water pump, fans, control voltage to the air conditioner, overhead fans, tank monitoring system are all going to be DC. If you have a Dometic or Norcold fridge, likely it is DC or propane.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 FAN View Post
I'm new to travel trailers and bought my first one used a few weeks back and it came all set up on seasonal lot(2017 Shasta 31 ft. I Know there is a inverter and I looked at all the breakers and fuses in the panel. Heres my question:

1. Would all the house hold style breakers be AC voltage...it what im thinking?
Yes, that is correct. But...small button style CBs are used in many modern RVs for 12 volt too. Those are re-settable. But you can be sure if the CB looks like one in a house, then it's 120 Volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 FAN View Post
2. Are all the car type blade fuses 12 volt circuits...also what im thinking?
Usually that's true. Except as I mentioned about CBs for 12 volt above. My RV has 10's of blade style fuses, but also has the button type CBs and it's a '02 model year. Those are all 12 volt.

Quote:
3. If my fridge is 12 volt (which I know because you can here the inverter working when the fridge is running)...what else besides lights could possibly be 12 volt?
There are several ways of powering an absorption refer...if that's what you have. Gas, 12 volt, and 120 volt. All 3, or 2, or just 120 volt are also possible. There are 12 volt compressor style RV refers now days too. Give us the model number and we can tell you. As far as what can be 12 volt? All the lights, the CO and propane sensors, the water pump, the jack, the radios, even the TVs, and of course other stuff just to make it confusing. But note that you could probably find your trailers users guide online, so find that.

Quote:
And last question is my tounge jack don't seem to work just by pressing toggles. Is that a problem or does it only work when trucks trailer wiring is hooked up? why could it possibly not work? I have just been fiddling with things trying to figure out how stuff works. But any added information would definitely help me in figuring some of this out!
It should work without the truck's wiring hooked up. IF your battery is good. If it's not operating, check the battery voltage. Then if that's good, go ahead and hook up the truck. See if that does anything.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

Lot of good info and answers at this site .

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #5

To download any owners manuals for appliances you don't have visit this site .

www.myrvworks.com/manuals/
Old 09-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #6

Better to ask what DOES NOT run on 12v.
Does not run on 12v:
Microwave
Most TVs
Roof Air conditioning
110v Outlets
Electric Water Heater

In most modern travel trailers, everything else runs on dc power. The one exception, which is optioned on travel trailers, is the fridge.

Some fridges run on 110v and propane, some run on 12v and propane, some run on 12v only, and some run on 110v only.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #7

Your 2017 Shasta
120VAC Main Power Panel will have Standard Circuit Breakers
One Main 30A CB plus Individual CBs for Microwave, Fridge/Water Heater Electric elements, Outlets, A/C Unit

CONVERTER...has a 120VAC source (typically via one of the individual CBs) and it CONVERTS to 12VDC to supply the DC FUSES and Maintain/charge the battery
12VDC FUSES are Auto Blade type that plug into the DC Dist Panel
*when NOT connected to AC Power Source the Battery supplies the DC System

12VDC System
Lights, Water Pump, Furnace, DC for circuit boards fridge/water heater & A/C Unit controls, TV Antenna Booster, LP Detector, Tank Level Monitor, Electric Awning, Slides, Tongue Jack etc
*Slides, Tongue Jack will be wired directly from battery POS Post with their OWN in-line DC Fuses (Close to Battery)
*Battery POS Cable to DC Dist Fuse Panel will have an In-line Fuse located under the trailer tongue
(Slides/Jack/Battery POS Cable Fuses can also be DC Circuit Breakers ---IE: Small box with 2 studs...DC in/DC Out, Can be auto reset or manual reset--IE:small button on side of the CB)

2017 Shasta Owners Manual
https://forestriverinc.help/#/shasta...trailer/browse

Your Fridge is an Absorption RV Fridge that requires 12VDC to operate where it is on AC Power or using Propane

Your Water Heater can also run on AC element, Propane or BOTH at same time (fastest recovery)
Uses 120VAC and 12VDC to function
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #8

Thankyou to everyone who responded, this will help a lot to fully understand some of the systems involved with 12 volt in campers and fuse/breaker panel in campers.
Z06 FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #9

All good advice above!

RV's are often not cookie cutter versions of one another. Even same make model and year come with options and substitutions due to shortages. Owners often get dealers to modify before delivery.

However, you often find any given appliance across brands and model lines. So you need to know the following about your RV:
Year, make, and model number from label on front driver's side.
Make and model of each appliance.

iRV2 has many knowledgeable member who know some appliances and systems in great detail. Many of us have not worked in an RV service center so we don't know all the details of any given RV.

Post your questions and include relevant make and model. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Usually tongue jacks are installed so they work on trailer 12 volt system. Often the jack wires go directly to the battery box on the tongue. There may be only one wire. Grounded frame is sometimes used for the negative wire.

Usually that means they work on tow vehicle as well if house system is dead. Tow vehicle and battery are usually connected through a self resetting circuit breaker. A tripped circuit breaker or blown fuse that could cause confusion.

Get a cheap digital voltmeter and trace the circuits.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:54 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Original poster: Go back to the entry from Old Biscuit----If he wrote it, it is true.
Now, a question about the "inverter" you speak about; Could that be a charge controller?
Anyway, enjoy your new trailer. see you out there
Old 09-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #11

The 12 volt side of life

Read the 12 volt side of life and then come back here if you have more questions about it.

Look inside a wardrobe or closet door and find the manufacturers equipment list and weight and tire specifications. This will give you the make and model of most of the major appliances in the trailer, such as water heater, fridge, stove, air conditioner, etc.

Fridges use 12v to CONTROL the operation, and either propane or 120v AC to handle the cooling. A few fridges are three way and also have 12v elements for cooling, but are inefficient and almost unusable and usually found in truck campers and rarely in trailers.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer