RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
What should be included with a NEW TT

I know this question must have been asked, but I can't find it.. so here goes..

Besides the stated "Propane and Battery" what comes, or should come with a new TT. What has your experience been? What should I demand? What should I ask for nicely? You get the idea...
  • Shore power cable?
  • Sewer Hose Kit?
  • Fresh Water Hose?

Thanks in advance

Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #2

What will be included? None of the above in my experience. with the exception of power cable which has always been included.

I'd rather buy my own anyway the dealer would get the cheapest junk they can find.

Agesilaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Agree with above. Shore power cable will be included, but as far as the other stuff, you would rather buy your own because anything included by the dealer would be the bare minimum, and you would probably throw it away after trying to use it once.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

From my experience, the power cable. The other stuff you will need to buy. Oh sure you can try to negotiate stuff into your deal but it will be the cheapest crap they can find. Don't waste your time. Every deal is different.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks.. That's all what I assumed, but you that word... I just wanted to be sure.

We have some potential issues because a couple of things they were eluding are "design choices" are actually just parts they didn't install. I want to be armed for bear (or at least the knowledge of a bear) when I go in to have the chat before we pick it up.... if we pick it up.

In fact.. I may get the hive mind involved... another post coming soon
Old 02-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #6

boot from RVsNorthwest

Desdinova,
We bought our TT from RVsNorthwest in Spokane.
They included a tall bucket with a:
30 ft Furrion 10 gauge marine-quality cord to plug the trailer into shore power;
15-30 amp dog bone;
two rolls of tp;
ten foot long Thetford sewer hose and 90* fitting (which is a good sturdy hose, but it won't fit inside the rear bumper);
bottle of Thetford black tank treatment;
25 ft white fresh water hose;
pressure regulator set for 40-50 psi.;
and an attachment to our LP tanks with a 12 foot long hose to attach to a stove, bbq or other appliance.

For batteries it is their policy to issue two when the TT has a slide out so we got two 12v marine deep cycle batteries (Centenial DP24MFS, reserve capacity 140 each).
LP was two 30 gallon tanks.

And their own spare tire cover advertising their dealership.....

Hope this helps
Howard
Old 02-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #7

I have always been given a starter kit. Cheap sewer hose. 10-15' water hose, 120V shore cord adapter and a few other useless items.
When we bought our current TT I told the dealer to keep the kit since I had 10 years worth of quality items already. He actually gave me something around $45 discount for it.
I thought that was generous.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I have always been given a starter kit. Cheap sewer hose. 10-15' water hose, 120V shore cord adapter and a few other useless items.
When we bought our current TT I told the dealer to keep the kit since I had 10 years worth of quality items already. He actually gave me something around $45 discount for it.
I thought that was generous.
I have also been given a "Starter Kit" on every new TT I have purchased except the last one - they gave me a $50 gift certificate to use in their store so I could pick what I needed.

When I purchased my current Motorhome used I was also given a "Starter Kit":

Standard White FW 25' hose, TP, Tank Treatment, and a quality 20' Rhino Flex sewer hose kit with all needed attachments.

Guess I always purchased from dealers that knew the value of customer service.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #9

When I got mine, it came with a surprisingly nice shore power cord, an absolutely abysmal sewer slinky, and of course, propane tanks and a battery. I believe that's all. I still use the power cord, but use a much better sewer slinky.

Oh wait, it also came with a bottle of champagne and a single red rose. It was kinda strange, but that particular dealer said they've done it that way for decades. I bet the owner has a brother that owns the winery.
Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

I have received full propane, battery and cheap sewage hose that I never used. Now what I did is I paid the dealer $35 more for a group 31 battery and a larger battery box.

On one trailer I also got a bag of chemical pouches that you drop into the black tank.

I always recommend getting the larger battery. They come in Small (Group 24), Medium (Group 27) and Large (Group 29/31) The dealer will want to give you a small group 24 battery. Insist on a larger battery.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:02 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the input. They haven't mentioned anything except the shore power cord and a $50 certificate. Unfortunately, I looked in their store and I'll be asking if I can just get $50 cash. Everything (basic stuff like sewer hose, TP, the stuff you pour in the tank) was all about double the price of literally anywhere else.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #12

We received a marine grade battery and box, 2 full propane tanks, a cheap short sewer hose, a short white drinking water hose, toilet treatment tablets, and a nice power cord.

What they haven't given me yet is the difference between what I gave for the license and the lower actual license cost. I'm still pursuing this three months later. Grrr.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Howard View Post
Desdinova,
We bought our TT from RVsNorthwest in Spokane.
They included a tall bucket with a:
30 ft Furrion 10 gauge marine-quality cord to plug the trailer into shore power;
15-30 amp dog bone;
two rolls of tp;
ten foot long Thetford sewer hose and 90* fitting (which is a good sturdy hose, but it won't fit inside the rear bumper);
bottle of Thetford black tank treatment;
25 ft white fresh water hose;
pressure regulator set for 40-50 psi.;
and an attachment to our LP tanks with a 12 foot long hose to attach to a stove, bbq or other appliance.

For batteries it is their policy to issue two when the TT has a slide out so we got two 12v marine deep cycle batteries (Centenial DP24MFS, reserve capacity 140 each).
LP was two 30 gallon tanks.

And their own spare tire cover advertising their dealership.....

Hope this helps
Howard

Excellent advice. These items are a good value.

It is the total amp hour ratings that matter. I have 200 amp hours of AGM batteries (two 100 amp hour). That is enough for more that 3 nights in very cold weather. If you only camp in warm weather or only camp with grid electric, smaller capacity is good.
I am suspicious of batteries that have "reserve" capacity ratings. This suggests the battery is designed for engine starting and will be fragile when using in deep draw conditions like travel trailers. True deep draw batteries specify amp hours of capacity.
I advise you to get the dealer to trade the flooded cell batteries for AGM batteries. You will have a better camping experience with AGM.

Taking home a flooded cell battery will start corrosion on all nearby metal parts. The longer you keep it and the more it is abused the faster corrosion will spread.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #14
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Dang… this is off subject. But I read this “Taking home a flooded cell battery will start corrosion on all nearby metal parts.” I wonder why cars have flooded cell batteries. Other than cost and had them for as long as I have been around (1943).

I had a five gallon bucket given to me on my last RV purchase from a dealer. I know I used the cloves when mine leaked. There were a few other things like black tank stuff I used because it was there. But the 8’ sewer hose had no 90 degree end on it. Like why include something like that?

NRR is offline   Reply With Quote