Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

What size drill?

I want to use a drill to raise and lower my stabilizers. I have tried two different sized drills including my 18V Black and Decker with a new battery. After one lowering the drill couldn't raise them again due to low battery. What size cordless do people use? I suppose the problem could be my drill. Maybe it's time for a new one but this one isn't that old.

I'd like to install electric stabilizers but that isn't in my wife's plan right now. Of course she is the one sitting in the air conditioned truck while the boys and I are setting up the outside of the rig, so the current system works perfectly for her. :-)
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have three different 18-volt drills, two DeWalt and one Makita, and all three work fine to raise and lower the 4 stabilizer jacks on my TT. One is an impact driver, and that works best. But the other two will do the job if the battery is fully charged.

But that's the ticket - fully charged battery. And don't try to raise or level the trailer with the stabilizer jacks. Just get them down good and snug, then they should come back up with no big problem. Get the trailer level side to side using wheel leveler blocks or lengths of 2x6 boards, and front to rear using the tongue jack, before you put down the stabilizer jacks. We haul a 4' carpenter's level with us, and use it to get the trailer level side to side and front to rear before we put down the stabilizers.

If you do have a problem without not quiet enough drill power to bring the stabilizers back up, then use the hitch jack to take some weight off the front stabilizer jacks and they should then be easy to raise. Then lower the hitch jack until the rear stabilizers are off the ground, and they should also be a snap to raise the rest of the way.

Don't spare the WD-40. Keep the screw threads of the stabilizers nice and lubricated with WD-40. Then they will raise and lower much easier.

I carry 16 of this type of leveling blocks for side-to-side leveling:
RV Leveling Blocks, 8 pack - Intersource Enterprises D10-227 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

I haul all three of my 18-volt drills with me on RV trips, along with their battery chargers. I charge the batteries to full when connected to shore power at RV campgrounds. Then no problem with a low battery when you need it to raise or lower the stabilizer jacks.

I'm too lazy to get out the ratchet and socket to raise and lower the stabilizers, so that's why I have overkill in the number of 18-volt drills I haul along.

DeWalt is the heavy duty version of the Black and Decker. I gave up on trying to get by with Black and Decker and now buy only more expensive power tools, such as my DeWalt and Mikita 18-volt drills.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had a trailer I used a 120v AC impact wrench, but then we had either a plug in at the campsite, or used a generator to power it.

Don't do this late at night or early in the morning....too much noise.

There are 12 volt versions, but I'm not sure they would have enough power.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #4

I use a Riobi 18v with lithium battery
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lithium battery would make a huge difference in drill preformance.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I was telling my wife about this thread. She said, "You bought a drill that didn't work. Then a battery that didn't work. Now you want to buy an expensive drill that may not work." I think I'll let her set up next time while I sit in the air conditioned truck.
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #7

Conditioning new batteries is very important. A charger that conditions, charges and floats batteries is best. I bought a Hilti cordless for about $240. It came with 2 batteries and a charger. It is only 12 volts. It will run stabs up and down quite a few times per battery.

HOWEVER, I would not use it to put pressure on the stabs. I think that should be done by hand.
Cordless drills are... well... drills. They are meant to spin small diameter bits through metal or wood. You are asking them to do something that they are not designed to do.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote