Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #71

Two wheel drive will have the greater weight capacity. We have a 2011 Ram with the 5.7, 110K miles with probably 20K pulling a 25' trailer. No bad habits found to date and it is probably a lower entry price than most.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
Post #37 = winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Thank you - thank you. That’s just the way we roll.
Love my diesel and I am glad we didn’t go gas. I put plenty of miles on for work so some days my daily commute is 150 miles. Pulled our TT with the new diesel and it’s night and day difference from my 1/2 ton gas. I know now that I was probably overloaded with my 1/2 ton truck. Powerstroke baby!!
Jstamm2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I agree that many people do upgrade their trailer in a few years. That being said, I own a 2012 Toyota Tundra that I use regularly for my construction company. We also have 3500 trucks as well for bigger jobs. My Toyota regularly pulls 7000 lbs. The reason I bought the Toyota is because another contractor I work with, has a fleet of them. They were very happy with the result compared to the previous domestics they had been using. Many of these trucks are still going. They get used every day, many are plow trucks in the winter. Some of them have over 300k miles on them and still going with minor repairs. I always owned Fords prior to the Tundra. I wouldn't overlook the Tundra if you see a good price on one. Mine has 380 hp and tows well.
Same here. I always had a Ford before the Tundra. The last F150 I had was a 2000 model. Needed a new transmission after 7K miles and new head gaskets after 50K. The transmission was replaced under warranty and the head gaskets were replaced after a battle with Ford. I know others that have Toyota trucks with 200K+ miles and going strong. Because of this they also have great resale value if you do need to upgrade.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #74

Wife had a Toy car and I had a Toy truck. Never again. Always buy a truck to fit my trailer. Have had 150s, a 250, and 2 350s all diesel before needing the 350 diesel dually last year.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstamm2001 View Post
Thank you - thank you. That’s just the way we roll.
Love my diesel and I am glad we didn’t go gas. I put plenty of miles on for work so some days my daily commute is 150 miles. Pulled our TT with the new diesel and it’s night and day difference from my 1/2 ton gas. I know now that I was probably overloaded with my 1/2 ton truck. Powerstroke baby!!
No one will argue with you that diesels aren't the best for towing that what they are made for. BUT... That price premium for the diesel package can pay for a Propride P3 and a LOT of gas for us weekend warriors.
MPG2750BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #76

As a Tech i see many of the Dodge (Ram) Diesels with over 4- 500,000 miles. Hands down the best Diesel out there. And No, i dont own one
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post
Same here. I always had a Ford before the Tundra. The last F150 I had was a 2000 model. Needed a new transmission after 7K miles and new head gaskets after 50K. The transmission was replaced under warranty and the head gaskets were replaced after a battle with Ford. I know others that have Toyota trucks with 200K+ miles and going strong. Because of this they also have great resale value if you do need to upgrade.
Tundras are great - wish they’d get into the 3/4 and 1 ton market. Their payload sucks too. I upgraded from a 2019 tundra to an F350ccsb 6.7L.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #78

Welcome to the RV family. I would first advise you to go out and find a trailer that you like and document the trailer gross weight rating as well as cargo capacity that the trailer can actually hold. Believe me not all trailers are created equal. The average amount of weight you will tow within any trailer you purchase will range between 800 to 1200 LBS. this will consist of food, clothing. Camping equipment and folding chairs, etc,etc. Once you decide on the perfect trailer for you guys, then you shop for the right truck. I will tell you as an experienced RV traveler that the larger truck will be better than the smaller truck. The driving experience between a half ton vs a 3/4 to one ton is very significant. Engine and drivetrain is one thing but stopping capacity it also very important. I would recommend you tune into this popular You Tube channel videos . Big truck and big RV you tube video provider will provide you lots of useful information to assist you in your quest to find the right truck and trailer for you. Happy RV hunting and enjoy the journey.
snapper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper23 View Post
Welcome to the RV family. I would first advise you to go out and find a trailer that you like and document the trailer gross weight rating as well as cargo capacity that the trailer can actually hold. Believe me not all trailers are created equal. The average amount of weight you will tow within any trailer you purchase will range between 800 to 1200 LBS. this will consist of food, clothing. Camping equipment and folding chairs, etc,etc. Once you decide on the perfect trailer for you guys, then you shop for the right truck. I will tell you as an experienced RV traveler that the larger truck will be better than the smaller truck. The driving experience between a half ton vs a 3/4 to one ton is very significant. Engine and drivetrain is one thing but stopping capacity it also very important. I would recommend you tune into this popular You Tube channel videos . Big truck and big RV you tube video provider will provide you lots of useful information to assist you in your quest to find the right truck and trailer for you. Happy RV hunting and enjoy the journey.
Good advice. Walk around any campground and you will typically see that about half the rigs are undersized for what they are towing. As an example most people will see a truck that has a tow rating of 10K and think they can pull a 10K trailer without considering loaded weight, payload and tongue weight. You should get as big a truck as your budget allows but need to have a vehicle that has a 15 to 20% margin. For the truck with the 10K tow rating that will put you right around an 8 thousand pound trailer assuming tongue weight, etc is Ok.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #80

thank you all for great insight! Lots to think about- still kind of torn between 3/4 ton and maybe a Tundra (love the reliability), but I have all the info I need now and time to mull it over, so thank you!!!
tbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiscuit View Post
thank you all for great insight! Lots to think about- still kind of torn between 3/4 ton and maybe a Tundra (love the reliability), but I have all the info I need now and time to mull it over, so thank you!!!
I currently tow with a tundra, great truck but watch the payload, my crewmax limited 4x4 has 1300lbs, and that goes FAST. So much so that my wife drives the van with the kids and dogs. I would look at the Gas Titan XD, I think they tow 11k.ams have 2k payload.
MPG2750BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #82

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will end up with a great truck. Certainly lots of great options available these days.
Quote:
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG2750BH View Post
I currently tow with a tundra, great truck but watch the payload, my crewmax limited 4x4 has 1300lbs, and that goes FAST. So much so that my wife drives the van with the kids and dogs. I would look at the Gas Titan XD, I think they tow 11k.ams have 2k payload.

I know a few guys that have bought Nissan trucks: I know 0 guys that have bought two.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #84

Quote:

Be sure you research the Tundra before purchase. Lots of really expensive oil, and coolant leaks.

The cam shaft tower leaks are very difficult to see, and many owners are not aware. Trucks with very few miles have been affected, and some have been repaired multiple times at 3,200 to 4,000 dollars each time.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote