Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #85

Here is the video that turned me off on the Tundra. If they improved the frame than that is an improvement.

I would not even consider a Tundra because they get lousy gas milage plus I am not sure if the frame has been improved.

https://youtu.be/GJZVUnOduH4
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Here is the video that turned me off on the Tundra. If they improved the frame than that is an improvement.

I would not even consider a Tundra because they get lousy gas milage plus I am not sure if the frame has been improved.

https://youtu.be/GJZVUnOduH4
I remember when that nonsense came out about the Tundras. It was staged. I have not seen those problems. I have a gooseneck hitch in mine. Tow a large horse trailer with the gooseneck. Never had a problem with frame flex.

There was a recall on my Tundra back a couple of years ago. They found some trucks had more rust than was desired. Toyota either replaced the frame on your truck or applied rust proofing. Amazing as my truck was a 2007 and they were still standing behind their product. A big difference from the Fords I had!
Old 03-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #87

The best truck long term? That is easy. Buy the most truck you can afford and then stay on top of maintenance. All modern trucks are pretty good, the difference will be YOU. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Lastly, I have never met anyone who said they bought too much truck, but I have met several people that said they didn't buy enough truck.
BigBlueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #88

Does the Tundra drink gasoline like a 3/4 ton truck? Don't they ride the worst? I am still not sold on Tundras.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #89

Toyota has been buying back trucks all the way back to the early 90 models due to rusted frames. It’s a huge liability if frames start separating.
Reliability has always been their namesake, but here lately many are guessing. 5 recalls on Tundras that came out in just the last couple of years that have seen no change except for TSS.
Come on Toyota, bring back the old 4.7 and add twin turbos. Now I would be first in line to get one of those.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:39 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueRV View Post
The best truck long term? That is easy. Buy the most truck you can afford and then stay on top of maintenance. All modern trucks are pretty good, the difference will be YOU. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Lastly, I have never met anyone who said they bought too much truck, but I have met several people that said they didn't buy enough truck.
LONG TERM, I don't think it would be an aluminum body truck
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
In my experience pickup truck owners tend to be the most brand loyal. I have friends with Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Toyota trucks. Each one of them say their brand is the best. I don't know anyone that owns a Nissan.

Aside from personal opinion facts matter. Look at Consumer Reports Best and Worst list which is based on surveys from owners. For used cars the Toyota Tundra is the top recommendation for a full sized pickup truck. For new vehicles the Toyota Tundra is the top pick for a full sized pickup truck. It has an overall score of 62. Second place is the Ram at 58. All of the others are close behind. However in the category of Predicted Reliability ALL of the models with the exception of the Tundra had the lowest score for Predicted Reliability with the exception of the Titan which scored worse than average. Tundra had the top score.

Now with that said the 2020 Tundra has been on the market for a while. I don't think its much different than the 2007 I own, which was the first year for this generation. It does not have some of the bells and whistles you will see on competitors models and the fuel economy is not quite as good. However I use my truck for towing horse trailers, travel trailers and around my farm. Fuel economy is not a big consideration for me and I don't care about the luxury items.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #92

I listen to owners, and mechanics that work on these trucks for a living. Not CR.
Facts are the 5.7 has its flaws. I put it in the same category as the other engines put out by Ford, Chevy, and Ram. Toyota has seen more early engine failures with this engine than any other. But again it probably gets worked harder than any other they have manufactured.
The 5.7 does not come close to the reliability of the 4.7. Which is what those 2007, 2008 million mile Tundras had in them.
I’ve owned nothing but Toyota/Lexus for the last 30 plus years, and I wouldn’t buy a new Tundra.
Now a Tundra 2000 through 2008 with the 4.7 is a bullet proof truck, which is what I expect from Toyota. If you can find one of those with low miles, now that is one reliable truck.
Since they moved both the Tacoma/Tundra to TMMTX plant both have suffered. Tacoma is now moving to Mexico.
Facts are all truck manufacturers including Toyota can suffer from reliability issues, so why buy an outdated power train, that is very inefficient.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:55 AM   #93

Cr is a great starting point, however if you take too much notice of them you would not buy anything.
Fact is they all have issues.
I have a GMC, love it. Not bullet proof. But at 240 kilometres it is working great
I've had Fords
Ram has steering issues I hear. They may have corrected this.
Toyota has frame rust issues. They all rust.
You pays your money and you takes your pick.
Heck flip a coin. You can't go far wrong. We all have our preferences. I doubt there is a really bad choice. The truck market is too competitive. So take a test drive in each. Check the specs and make your choice.
Just my humble opinion.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I listen to owners, and mechanics that work on these trucks for a living. Not CR.
Facts are the 5.7 has its flaws. I put it in the same category as the other engines put out by Ford, Chevy, and Ram. Toyota has seen more early engine failures with this engine than any other. But again it probably gets worked harder than any other they have manufactured.
The 5.7 does not come close to the reliability of the 4.7. Which is what those 2007, 2008 million mile Tundras had in them.
I’ve owned nothing but Toyota/Lexus for the last 30 plus years, and I wouldn’t buy a new Tundra.
Now a Tundra 2000 through 2008 with the 4.7 is a bullet proof truck, which is what I expect from Toyota. If you can find one of those with low miles, now that is one reliable truck.
Since they moved both the Tacoma/Tundra to TMMTX plant both have suffered. Tacoma is now moving to Mexico.
Facts are all truck manufacturers including Toyota can suffer from reliability issues, so why buy an outdated power train, that is very inefficient.
The CR results are from owner surveys - thousands of them. Probably not perfect but as noted a good starting point.

I have 2007 with a 5.7 liter. Isn't it the same engine but larger displacement as the 4.7? The 4.7 was the base engine in 2007.

Know a few people with 5.7 engines in Tundras and Sequoias, which is the same vehicle but an SUV. Never heard a problem with reliability. Likewise my mechanic says its a great truck...on the rare occasion it needs to be worked on.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
I was at a new car auto show with my boy who works in a body shop. we were looking at pickups and he said they are finding corrosion in the pinch welds on the aluminum body's especially at the door skins and the nose of the hood. he has seen pin holes at the hood nose. i'm not sure if its area specific, like if they salt the roads in your area or not. or your in a dry climate.
I call B.S., at least on the Ford F-series trucks and Expedition/Navigator.

First, there are NO WELDS ON THE BODY, ANYWHERE ! The body panels are assembled using self-piercing rivets (inserted by robots) and/or adhesive. They may be looking at adhesive that has oozed out.

Second, if aluminum corrosion does occur anywhere, it is covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The warranty was changed when the aluminum F150 came out. Previous vehicles with aluminum hoods or tailgate were not covered.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueRV View Post
The best truck long term? That is easy. Buy the most truck you can afford and then stay on top of maintenance. All modern trucks are pretty good, the difference will be YOU. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
I have a friend who is a horse lady. She drive a F250 to pull her 3 horse trailer with living quarters. She takes care of the truck like it is one of her horses. After about 10 years, she started get rust perforation around the rear wheel.

I have never seen ANY brand of pickup used in the Midwest that is over 10 years old, that does not have some signs of body rust (unless it has already been repaired).
Old 03-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
240 kilometres

The metric system is really missing out not claiming vehicles have 240 MEGAMETERS.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #98

[QUOTE=theoldwizard;5192931]I call B.S., at least on the Ford F-series trucks and Expedition/Navigator.

First, there are NO WELDS ON THE BODY, ANYWHERE ! The body panels are assembled using self-piercing rivets (inserted by robots) and/or adhesive. They may be looking at adhesive that has oozed out.

Second, if aluminum corrosion does occur anywhere, it is covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The warranty was changed when the aluminum F150 came out. Previous vehicles with aluminum hoods or tailgate were not covered.[/QUOTE

its not about welds its about 2 or3 layers of aluminum sandwiched together door skins hood skins box sides. longevity ONLY TIME WILL TELL they have already had some problems. with corrosion starting in places well again time will tell.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote