Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #43

Grand Design

I have a 2016 Grand Design 5’th wheel. For what it’s worth, I’m extremely disappointed. The workmanship is abysmal; I don’t see how it is better than Keystone. I have spent more time working on it than camping. I don’t see how I could ever put my trust in them for another one. We had a Jayco Eagle TT previously. I was very happy with it.
JBrandtWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #44

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have just been diving deeper into Outdoors RV again, and I am finding that their prices are much better than the Lance campers, and they are really cute inside (can't say that about all campers). They look like mountain cabins. Can anyone tell me about buying cross country sight unseen. I can't fly out from the East Coast to Oregon, etc. to see it, and my husband I doubt really has the time to do that as well. I'm having trouble even finding any Outdoors RV's on the East Coast at all. I have appreciated the good reports back from y'all though that are saying it's a good 4 season camper, and that is giving me the courage to maybe go further. I don't even know what they charge to deliver a camper cross country. Any nuggets of wisdom would be greatly appreciated as I am not feeling great about not seeing something before I buy it. But what I see online is great. I did feel that way once before when I saw Airstreams though, and I was disappointed when I saw them in person, and way too high priced IMHO. We do have some Lance campers around here though, and I still like Lance and have been considering them as well for a 4 season camper. You really have to shop around with Lance though, because they are much higher in price here on the East Coast unless you find a used one, which is kind of rare these days. I think we may have some Arctic Wolf campers too....are they any good for 4 season and quality? Are there any Jayco campers that are worth their salt in the 4 season camper variety? I'm sorry to be so inquisitive, but we don't know much about RV's as we are very carefully trying to pick our first one.
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #45

Several folks here have done just that, flown, or drove out West purchased their ORV, included a factory tour, some towed them home, some had them shipped. I think it must be a better mousetrap, or folks wouldn't go to all that trouble.

Wade through the ORV owner sub-forum. A few "East coast" names come to mind: ModestMonk, Hikermom718, Dexters, Superslif(Ohio) etc.

This is a good conversation starter:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/outd...rs-343840.html
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #46

As far as Lance goes you need to find a dealer that makes purchases years in advance. The Lance factory just opened up a new warehouse with two new lines, and they still can’t keep up. Dealers are waiting up to a year to get their orders, so they are not coming off the MSRP.
When it comes to towing with a 1/2 ton truck it’s really hard to beat. Getting 11.5 mpg with a Ram 5.7 Hemi towing a 1995. The trailer tows really well, almost forget it’s back there, at only 11% tongue weight.
If your looking for used they did over 50 updates including a stronger frame starting in mid year 2017 models. (2017.5)
We have the factory 2 5/8 lift and is very capable to get into the back country. Lighter weight, and lower profile also has great advantages in this area.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeektheSon1 View Post
I have just been diving deeper into Outdoors RV again, and I am finding that their prices are much better than the Lance campers, and they are really cute inside (can't say that about all campers).
Hey folks, looks like we have an Arctic Fox dealer in the Southeast U.S. Norcross, (Atlanta) GA. They show a 25Y in stock.
https://www.southlandrv.com/inv/2019...Fox-25-Y-2248/

Very similar construction to the Outdoors RV, a "sister" company.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #48

New traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielT9822 View Post
Ill start off by saying i dont currently own one but
would like to soon. I know a few people that have bought and have had nothing but issues with things breaking. Id like to avoid that as this will be somthing i will be living out of. What are a few good makes that dont have too many issues. Any imput is appreciated.
You cannot go wrong with anything made by TIFFIN. They only make class A and now C, but their service, if needed is unmatched.
Zephyrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #49

We bought our Lance used, found it on RV Trader. We did have to drive a ways to get it as there were only 3 on that site of the model we wanted in the US. Even the deal we were working with had trouble getting a used one in. The factory is increasing production from 16-18 units per day to 22 with their new building. They are more expensive than many, but I have not been impressed with other brands. I have walked into new Airstreams that had visual quality problems on the showroom floor and had the salesman shrug his shoulders when we pointed them out. I have had the same response from Jayco salesmen. They are selling units fast enough they don't care, someone else will come along and buy it without ever noticing the issue. If I were in the market today for a different unit I would be interested in looking at the ORV to see how it compares, but it would have to be pretty great for me to buy anything but Lance.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #50

My wife and I are seriously considering a Class C compared to we had only considered a TT. W/out a doubt if we can't get something worked out on a Class C we will have either a ORV or a Arctic Fox. We're in Illinois and would consider the drive to the N.W. just part of the adventure.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had a ORV east coast ( NW. PA. ) rally back in July. We had 10-12 ORV units. Yes, we did have prospective buyers drive in from other states just to have a close up walk-thru of what makes ORV units a cut above. Last month while in NH. I had someone drive to my campground to view my 2018 Timber Ridge. He took 3 hours to pick my brain.

"SeektheSone1" One of our participants at our July ORV PA. rally, put an order on a ORV Blackstone to be picked up next spring. He lives in Greenville SC. Not sure how far that is from Winston Salem, NC.

Were in Northeast Ohio and with a planned Yellowstone trip planned for the spring of 2016, I fit it in our plans to visit two ORV dealers in ID. & WY. to look at the ORV line.

Yes, Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV units in the Creekside or Timber Ridge line. My (2018) 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700 which we drove back from Eastern OR. to pick up.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #52
PKI

good TT to buy

One you can afford .....
One you can fix with skill you have or can learn .....
One that you can use .....

Brands - Airstream (prejudiced); Lance; Artic Fox; Bigfoot; Casita (and similar); Oliver; and ....... that one the previous owner maintained with special and informed care and feeding. Keep the water out!

Note - if you can't afford what you are considering - go smaller.
Note - a popup tent trailer can provide a lot of camping/RV fun.
Note - camping is like fishing, you can spend all the $s you have.
Note - you can tent/car/truck/van camp until you can afford an RV.

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #53

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you all for these awesome nuggets of experienced wisdom! I have been looking around the US online and RV Trader, and I find tempting Lance and ORV trailers at good prices. Our Lance dealer nearest me did not come off of his price much here so I feel I'll have to look elsewhere....We may take the dogs (4) and the old Suburban (1995, but in great shape) out to pick up a TT out West, and make a vacation out it. It would be nice if we could get something on this end of the country, but we'll see. Got nothin but time. Still like Class C's too, but the husband is not sure how much money he wants to spend at this point being that he wants to continue saving for retirement. I think the TT's mentioned on this forum could be good RV's for us, in particular Lance and ORV. But I'm still going to look at some of the Arctic Fox's as well. All suggestions are noted and appreciated, for in the multitude of counselors, there is safety! Happy Trails!
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would suggest the one you can afford.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:17 AM   #55

We were thinking Arctic Fox, ORV or Lance. My Tundra wouldn't do the job. So figuring the cost of either a new or newer Ford F250 or F350 and a new TT would actually be considerably more than a new Jayco Greyhawk or Entegra Odyssey which can be had for mid $60's
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeektheSon1 View Post
....We may take the dogs (4) and the old Suburban (1995, but in great shape) out to pick up a TT out West, and make a vacation out it. It would be nice if we could get something on this end of the country, but we'll see. Got nothin but time. Still like Class C's too, but the husband is not sure how much money he wants to spend at this point being that he wants to continue saving for retirement.
These comments above, along with "5,000 Lbs" trailer weight, "can't fly out West" etc. leave me looking for suitable and reasonable solutions, like this one!
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...25C-5003914540

To me, it's an Outdoors RV, only it has heavy-duty wood wall construction, instead of aluminum. Also, interior not quite as dressed up, but the frame, suspension, construction all very strong and well insulated. Northwood Manufacturing's Ron Nash (yes, Nash trailers named after him), started Outdoors RV in a closed Fleetwood Wilderness plant near the Northwood plant, so you can see the connection between the two companies.

This lightly used Nash 25C is down the road from you in Brevard, NC, and priced so you can save more of your retirement for travel!
Nash 25C walk through:
https://youtu.be/f8ZLgWhcnZ4

-50/42/35 fresh/grey/black, 60 lb LP, Shocks on all 4 wheels, ~5,700 dry with 1,650 cargo capacity, due to the heavy frame and construction, what's not to like? No kids? use the bunks for storage, or convert to dog houses. Edit: Oh, that big fridge is a top of the line Norcold too, and that 3 burner stove/oven aint no slouch either. (Just sayin').
Northwood | Nash 25C

Class C's are fine, but when you want to explore the local area, you need a "toad" (extra car towed), drive another car, or you pack up the C, break camp, and then drive the C. With your travel trailer, simply close it up, load the dogs in the Burb', and you're off to the local sites, with the trailer waiting for you when you get back.

Apologies to the OP, for the derail, but a Nash would be good to put on your list as well.

There...see how easy that was?

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer