Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #1

What's a good travel trailer to buy?

Ill start off by saying i dont currently own one but
would like to soon. I know a few people that have bought and have had nothing but issues with things breaking. Id like to avoid that as this will be somthing i will be living out of. What are a few good makes that dont have too many issues. Any imput is appreciated.
DanielT9822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #2

Grand Design and Winnebago build fairly good travel trailers. If you stay in Florida in the summer you will want a well insulated trailer. Grand Design does a better than average job with insulation. Winnebago has the best fiberglass and you can pick a color. I am considering a Winnebago Mini Plus or Artic Fox.

If you can travel to pick up a better trailer then Artic Fox and Outdoor RV are a bit better. These trailers are difficult to find east of the Mississippi. They are probably better than Grand Design and Winnebago.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, agree with tuffr2. We are out west and have an Outdoors RV trailer. Love it!
Onetigger725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 AM   #4

Add Elite Suites and Airstream to tuffr2's list and you'll be pretty close. Like anything else, good things cost money. So a solid, well built RV will cost more that the run of the mill. But, there are exceptions as you can find people who bought the same make and model RV and one had zero issues while the other was in the shop more than it was in the campground. Seems like sometimes it comes down to which day they rolled it out of the assembly plant. Look at slightly used ones that the original owner had already worked the kinks out of for you. Stay away from anything that appears to have had water damage issues.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #5

There are several good brands out there. I would suggest looking at the factory warranties. Some offer a 2 year warranty while most offer only 1 year.
Find a floor plan you like and go for it with crossed fingers, lol.
Happy camping!
travelerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #6

I'm a big fan of buying used from original owner, 3-4 years old if possible. Ours still had warranty on it and half price after three years of them owning it.

They get to work out any possible bugs for you also.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

All the appliances are the same for any brand. Hot water heater, refrigerator, furnace, stove, A/C units etc. are all from one or two suppliers for all RV manufacturers.

The difference is how they were installed. Correctly or not.

Then how solid the frame is along with the capacity of the axles and tires.

Agree that one trailer will come off the assembly line with no issues while the next will be junk for any brand.

The trailers mentioned so far build fewer junky trailers.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #8

Thanks guys! If i need to make a trip to get a good one i will. The issue is warranty repairs. I dont want to have to bring it all the way back to where i got it. There are a few nice ones in my area in the 6-12k range. My issue is saving that amount of cash but if need be i will.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #9

Keep in mind, depending on the manufacturer their warranty may only apply to the structure itself. Each appliance they install like the microwave or AC or water pump for example could be covered under their own respective manufacturer warranties. That's how the warranty was written for our ORV trailer. Don't assume. Read the warranty before you buy. Its not like buying a new car where the warranty is bumper to bumper.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #10

I should also add when looking at used many of the issues you may find have nothing to do with the manufacturer but rather how well the owners take care of them. The roofs in particular need to be inspected regularly to prevent water intrusion. This is where buying privately has its advantages over a dealership as you can talk to the person who owns it. Good luck with your search.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #11

Florida is the Mecca of RV's. You should be able to find something at Lazy Days in Tampa or any other the other large RV dealers in Florida like La Mesa RV.

Good luck
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #12

We were very happy with our 2014 Winnebago Minnie trailer as it was well built and pretty trouble free. But before deciding on anything, you have to consider what your needs are. If you are going to camp in cold weather or very hot weather, look for a well insulated trailer and possibly, a four season trailer that will have good insulation, double pane windows and generally, will be a better quality trailer. If you consider buying a trailer longer than 28-30', I recommend one with two AC units. Prior to the Winnebago, we had a 28' Sunline trailer (no longer in business) but it was a quality trailer and one AC worked even in the hottest weather.

Keep in mind that you have to make sure you have a big enough tow vehicle to handle the weight/length of the trailer. Don't skimp and know about weights and don't believe what a sales person may say. If you skimp on the tow vehicle, you may find yourself owning a trailer that you are scared to death to take on the highway. We had a Hensley hitch and 1 ton Dodge dually (gas) with the Sunline and a Equalizer 4pt. hitch and Toyota Tundra with the Winnebago and our trailers never swayed or created any problems at all.

Buy quality...better to buy quality used rather than cheapo new as long as you know what to look for and/or have a professional do an inspection before you buy!

Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #13

Yea i have a 05 silverado 2500hd duramax so roughly 11k is my limit as far as hitch pull as long as i upgrade to a class 5 hitch. 5th wheel i could do more obviously but the fuel milage would be horrible. Like i said this will be parked in one spot and left to live in for a while. Ill look aw some winnebaos when its time. I live in florida and would need a well insulated trailer. Thanks so much for the imput!!!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielT9822 View Post
Thanks guys! If i need to make a trip to get a good one i will. The issue is warranty repairs. I dont want to have to bring it all the way back to where i got it. There are a few nice ones in my area in the 6-12k range. My issue is saving that amount of cash but if need be i will.

Is your budget only $6k to $12k?

Yes, you "might" find a new bare bones / single axle cheapo RV trailer for $12 or $13, but you'll be sorry.

ORV & Arctic Fox's ( sister companies) units run $25k to $50k new. Both of these are Heavy-Duty units. It starts with the heavier frame and suspension (MorRyde 3000 with 16" Goodyear's) add in thermal pane windows and you have a unit for both the cooler and warmer seasons.

The closest ORV ( Out Doors RV) dealer is in Denver. Arctic Fox there are a "few" dealers that might carry one or two units in stock (Cincinnati, Atlanta and a few in Texas)

Ourselves we drove the 4500 mile RT to pick up our ORV unit last fall in Eastern OR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1471(4).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	222795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	222796  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote