Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 01:47 PM   #1

Wheel bearing and brake services? SE MA

Hi,

We live in SE MA. This is our 2nd season with our Gulfstream Travel Trailer 24' BH. I am trying to find a somewhat local business that services travel trailers when it comes to wheel bearing re-packing and brake/suspension inspection. I really don't want to take it to the dealership.

Does anyone know of a chain I might be overlooking or independent business? I'm willing to travel a bit. I could go far western MA as Sturbridge, anywhere in RI, Northern CT, Southern NH or ME.

I know it's not supposed to be too tough to do this independently but I don't have a huge background in automotive and I'm a little gun-shy taking this one on myself. I've zeroed in that I don't seem to have the easy lube fittings that "most new trailers" do? No,....why would I have something easy. I don't suspect any problems but I don't have a trained eye and don't know what I'm looking for that's my hang-up.

I understand re-packing should be done every 12,000 or 12 mo, whichever comes first. I didn't do this after last season as it wasn't a year old yet and we only put about 2,500 mi on it last season. I figured it shouldn't need it yet. Now we have about 5k, a little over a year and we have a big trip planned next Summer so I'd like to make sure it's all set.
NERoamer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #2

Any trailer dealer or shop should be able to help you out with the service. Just call around a little bit and see what you find.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:38 AM   #3

Mobile Repair should be able to do it, too.

As far as those EZ Lube fittings, they really don't do the job that well, they tend to cause seal issues.

And IMO, even if you don't get to the mileage, I think having the bearings repacked is probably a necessity at least every couple of years. As grease oxidizes, you loose a lot of the protection it affords to the rollers and races.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #4

Wright Trailers in Seekonk MA......Not sure if they work on travel trailers.

There is an RV Repair shop on Rt6 in Westport MA (Can't remember the name)

There are also a couple RV Mobile Repair folks that advertise on Face Book down here on Southcoast MA.

Can the trailer be towed? Where is it located?
Old 09-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
Wright Trailers in Seekonk MA......Not sure if they work on travel trailers.

There is an RV Repair shop on Rt6 in Westport MA (Can't remember the name)

There are also a couple RV Mobile Repair folks that advertise on Face Book down here on Southcoast MA.

Can the trailer be towed? Where is it located?
Thanks,

Sure it can be towed. It's at my house now. I won't say exactly where that is but it's not too far from Westport or Seekonk. I'll search on fb as well, good idea.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #6

Some RV storage places also do maintenance. Might be worth calling around.
Yosemite77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #7

Don't forget to check truck repair shops. And spring repair shops. The independent semi repair shops. There are a couple of big rig repair shops here in western Pennsylvania that do it here and are priced better that any rv dealer.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #8

Arlington RV in Warwick RI. Very competent and I have used them before.

Camping World in Uxbridge MA as a last resort.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #9

One place that has not been memtioned is U Haul. They are pretty much coast to coast, and do repairs on trailer running gear, and hitches. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR60 View Post
One place that has not been memtioned is U Haul. They are pretty much coast to coast, and do repairs on trailer running gear, and hitches. DR

I donít have a ton of faith in U-Haul due to past experiences. This is from the last time I rented a trailer there.

Me: Have the tire pressures been checked?
U-Haul employee: Yes!
Me: Really?
U-Haul employee: Well, I thumped them.

Off topic, but Iíve found itís not unusual for them to have tires with different speed ratings on a trailer. Some have a max speed rating of 62 mph.
Yosemite77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #11

small independent auto repair shop can do it, its easy job . As long as they arent really busy and its not raining or cold. Why wouldnt they do it?
Old 10-09-2022, 10:34 PM   #12

I found a place in Weymouth that will do it for $120 per wheel. May have to bite the bullet but I will learn it myself at some point.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:45 AM   #13

Learning it yourself is a good idea and no time like the present. Use YouTube to view 'repacking trailer wheel bearings'. There has to be plenty of videos. I use YouTube for lots of things I want to do. Note: YouTube makes it look a little easier than it is.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #14

My repair shop charges $240.00 for 4 wheels.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, service