Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #1

Wheel Bearing Grease Gun

Going to grease my EZ Lube Hubs for the first time since we bought the unit new ! Going to use the Valvoline Multi-purpose grease that is on the Dexter list of preferred greases, just to be sure the old and new greases are compatable.

I have the old style grease gun, but i have read not to use that on the EZ LUBE HUBS, too much pressure !!!

Do i really need to buy a new grease gun ???? I also have a small mini grease gun, but grease choices for it are so limited!

Thanks All
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have not seen that a hand pump type grease gun has too much pressure, They do say not to use a battery/air powered gun. You jack the wheel up, and spin an you pump the grease in and watch to see the grease coming out the front bearing, when the grease starts coming out the front bearing, you stop. I'm not sure what you mean by an old style grease gun, if it is a hand pump type, then I am sure that it will be ok.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #3

By old style, i mean it takes 2 hands to pump, the ones they show, are a one hand model,hold it like a pistol, same as my mini gun, but full size ,14 oz. sure less pressure in it, But my thought is as yours, use the one i have and just be gentle !!!!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

I don't know how old your TT is but sounds pretty new.. You might think about pulling the wheel bearings at the end of next season and inspecting and repacking by hand.. You will know what kind of grease you have and what kind of job it is doing. It also give you a chance to inspect your TT brakes and clean them up and adjust them..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

The hand pump, and lever pump guns have about the same pressure. It's just easier to get the presser with a lever gun. You'll be okay with any hand powered gun.

The thing I would be worried about, and this is probably minor, is mixing different types of grease. Make sure you know what type of grease is in the hub already. I seen where mixing grease can have some problems. Been there done that.
And ditto on pulling the hub next time. If for no other reason you can check the brakes.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

That's the only reason i'm u

sing the grease that Dexter has on there recommended list ! Valvoline Multi Purpose. I would go with a higher end synthetic, but staying with recommended for compatibility !
Old 04-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #7

Your two handed grease gun will be fine. However, you will probably use more than one tube.
I had the bearings hand packed on my new trailer and glad I did. There wasn't much grease from the factory. Bearings actually run cooler now.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Pull the wheels and do the job right, by hand. Too many issues with just pumping in way to much grease.
How many posts have you seen here someone pumps in too much and it gets all over the brakes and then you lose all braking. Hubs are meant to be greased by hand. The grease gun is for boat trailer brakes with no internal brake pads.
Of course you are free to do what you want and take your chances. I'll pass on the quick and ineffective method.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:56 AM   #9

EZ Lube Hubs by Dexter !
Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

All those EZ lube type hubs are not for RV type axles. They're great for boat axles where you don't have to worry about blowing the rear seal since most boat trailers don't have brakes.
The problem with the EZ lube hubs is you won't know if you've pumped grease out past the rear seal. That grease will get on the brake drum and then you've lost braking for that tire.
Then after you find that out you have to buy new brake linings for that wheel.
It's just much safer to remove the hubs and brakes, do an inspection and then repack yourself. That way you know everything is done right.
Multiple stories about guys with new trailers that have the EZ hubs from both AL-CO and Dexter that have complained about grease being on the brake drums as they came from the factory.
For all you know you may already have a blown seal.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I've had my trailer for 4 years. I've repacked by hand twice and used the EZ Lube twice. I am sure that some have had problems blowing the seals out but I have to go by my own experiences. I use the EZ Lube system in between tear-downs and it is a good tool. If the old grease comes out with metal in it, it's tear-down time. If it doesn't come out, your seal is toast and again it's tear-down time. Otherwise, it's good to go. I haven't had any grease on my brakes, yet. Just use care and think about what you're doing, and what the results are telling you.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll be pumping some fresh grease into my trailer hubs this summer, when the grease is nice and warm so it flows easier (I hope!). I've seen videos on YouTube of folks that have used this manner of lubing the hubs, and the common word of advice is to PUMP THE GREASE SLOWLY AND WITH AS LITTLE PRESSURE AS POSSIBLE WHILE CONSTANTLY ROTATING THE WHEEL.

The post above has some good info in it in case all the care in the world doesn't work while doing this. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fail Safe way is to pull them & hand pack. But...if you don't do it yourself, you risk (50/50 Risk)an inept service person doing the job. Service facilities usually have the lowest man doing that job.

EZ Lube caps have a center (zirt fitting is usually in center) as you pump grease in....the center expands out to handle the increase (you can see it come out) . Best not to pump grease until the center comes out as far as it can. Just pump grease until you see the center start to move out...then stop pumping. Burst seals & grease on brakes ensue with too much grease.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #14

Thanks Denny, but i think your confusing Bearing Buddies to EZ Lube Hubs.