Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wheel Bearings

Does anyone change out their bearings on a regular bases as of mileage or age
100amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100amp View Post
5 years so far, repacked the bearing every 2 year, so far so good with the factory one.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #3

Inspect them and repack them if they show no signs of pitting or damage. No need to replace if they show no signs of damage.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100amp View Post
I've seen tapered roller bearings last a million miles. Learn how to grease a bearing. Use the search function on this site for tons of info. Avoid Chinese bearings if at all possible.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
I've seen tapered roller bearings last a million miles. Learn how to grease a bearing. Use the search function on this site for tons of info. Avoid Chinese bearings if at all possible.
X2 I've lost count of how many vehicles I've owned with over 100,000 miles on the original rear axle bearings.....I've even seen motorcycle wheel bearings go that long. Other than boat trailers (for obvious reasons), there is no reason that a good set of wheel bearings can't last most of us for the life of our trailers......regular inspection and greasing is adviseable though.

I do intend to carry a spare set

Cheers,
Dave
Old 03-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #6

Regular maintenance and they will last pretty much forever. Do crazy things like constant curb hopping, driving through deep water, loosing a bearing cap and still drive it another year and they won't. But hopefully none of those would be something you would do.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a '19 ORV 24RLS. We did one short "break in" trip then I spent the money and replaced the Chinesium bearings/races with genuine Timkens.
Cheap insurance IMO
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #8

I clean, inspect and repack my bearings annually. Last year i found a suspect bearing and replaced it with the Timkin brand. I see no need to replace existing bearings unless I find something wrong. Use a high quality bearing grease (Lucas Red & Tacky) and a quality bearing grease packer. Stay on top of the maintenance and you will good.
John.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
We have a '19 ORV 24RLS. We did one short "break in" trip then I spent the money and replaced the Chinesium bearings/races with genuine Timkens.
Cheap insurance IMO
"Genuine Timkens" can be made in China, Brazil, Taiwan, Mexico, or India. They sold their needle-bearing manufacturing to the Japanese years ago.

If the bearings are made to spec and are serviced regularly, they'll last for years.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
"Genuine Timkens" can be made in China, Brazil, Taiwan, Mexico, or India. They sold their needle-bearing manufacturing to the Japanese years ago.

If the bearings are made to spec and are serviced regularly, they'll last for years.
Be aware, there are a LOT of counterfeit parts out there, Including Timken bearings, so you want to purchase either from an industrial supplier like Bearings and Drives, Motion Industries, etc (pricey however) or somewhere like Summit Racing that also sources directly from the mfg. Many online Timken bearings are fakes, just like oil filters and other parts.

I just bought new Dexter hub/drums with races installed. first thing I did was punch out the china races and throw them in the scrap metal bucket, no kidding. In went the Timkens.

All of the Timkens I have bought for 3500 lb axles (Dexter or Lippert) were made in the USA. Even if they are made elsewhere, Timken controls the quality, something that the "China" company doesn't

Trailer bearings and seals for 3500 lb axles
Outer bearing L44649
Outer race L44610
The L44649/L44610 together are know as SET4 by Timken
Inner bearing L68149
Inner race L68111
The L68149/L68111 together are known as SET17 by Timken
Seal is a 10-19 ID 1.719 in, OD 2.565 in.
National seal # 473336 (1.719 ID, 2.565 OD, 0.5 wide w/double lip and spring) (National 442251 is single lip wo/spring same dimensions)

All of this for four wheels, from Summit Racing in the SET4 and SET17 packaging plus genuine National/Timken seals will set you back about $98. Buy a tube of grease to bump it over $99 and get free shipping.

I have a set of bearing drivers, but most auto parts places have a loaner set you can use for a deposit, just inspect it prior to leaving to insure all the pieces are in the package and undamaged and they have the two drivers you need.

A two pound ball pein hammer and a 12 inch steel drift https://www.amazon.com/Drift-11-Inch...002RI83C&psc=1 on a 4x4 block on the floor will get the old races out (I do miss the older car hubs that had notches cast into them for the punch). I use a synthetic grease with moly in it, such as Valvoline https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-Syn...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

or Summit also has a Timken synthetic grease no moly that works too,

A Lisle 34550 bearing packer https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-34550-H...s%2C176&sr=8-2

or a Gearwrench 2775D bearing packer https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-27...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Work real well, I own the Snap On branded version of the Gearwrench and also own the Lisle, I actually like the Lisle a little better.

Charles
Old 03-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #11

As far as I know SKF is the only company not using china for supplying bearings outside of Asia. Bearing made in Asia are sold in Asia unless it's a fully assembled unit of some sort. SKF bearings make a difference in certain applications, especially where high loads are the rule of the day.

Very few 'critical' (precision) bearings fail because of poor quality. I did experience bearing failure on small sealed bearings (no grease).

There are plenty of name brand violators around.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I had trailer boats, I just replaced the bearings every year, they were only single axle trailers. Of course, boat trailer bearings take way more abuse than travel trailers.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Be aware, there are a LOT of counterfeit parts out there, Including Timken bearings, so you want to purchase either from an industrial supplier like Bearings and Drives, Motion Industries, etc (pricey however) or somewhere like Summit Racing that also sources directly from the mfg. Many online Timken bearings are fakes, just like oil filters and other parts.
I wasn't including fakes. As you mentioned, they are sourced from many countries to their own specs. "Made in the USA" doesn't mean flawless anymore than "Made in China" means it's garbage. Yes, I buy my bearings from reliable sources. I don't use Summit but I do use Pelican Parts and Turner, as well as the Porsche dealer.

Chrysler has plants in Canada. Ford has plants in Mexico. BMW builds SUVs in South Carolina and Mercedes builds cars in Alabama.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
IC2

The first repack on our sig 5er at ~4K miles resulted in new bearings as one of the Chinese unbranded junk OEs had a chip and another had started turning blue and a 3rd had a gouge around the circumference. The replacement Timkens were fine until I installed disc brakes at ~16K miles. Last year at ~28K miles, these still looked like new. I haven't pulled the rotors yet this year but have no worries that they still wont look good. I do carry a pair of new along with a seal when we travel since these are for all intent, only a weak adaptation from a mid to large size car's front wheel bearings.

Oh and use the E-Z Lube feature at your own risk. Many threads here about them.

2014 Montana High Country 343RL (sold it!)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote