Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #1

Wheel help - Missing Cap EZ-Lube

Is it safe to drive without rubber cap on dexter ez lube axle? One of my rubber caps came off and no local stores sell them. I know I can order them but Im on the road now.
Fdnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #2

Interesting dilemma - can you put a plastic bag with a rubber band to keep grease where it need to be? Anytime I looked inside a grease cap it was full of grease. I am thinking without the cap the grease will fly a over the place.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Interesting dilemma - can you put a plastic bag with a rubber band to keep grease where it need to be? Anytime I looked inside a grease cap it was full of grease. I am thinking without the cap the grease will fly a over the place.
Grease does fly all over the place. On my current motorcycle trailer both caps are there, but I had a small 2 wheel trailer for years and I new it was time to put some grease in when grease stopped flying all over the place.

The worst that can happen is it makes a mess. Anything you can tape over it will keep the grease from flying.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdnavy View Post
Is it safe to drive without rubber cap on dexter ez lube axle? One of my rubber caps came off and no local stores sell them. I know I can order them but Im on the road now.
I don't know where you are, but just about any camper place, trailer sales, Northern Handyman and maybe even NAPA should have them.

When I bought my motorcycle trailer I noticed one was gone. The dealer walke inside, took one off the shelf and popped it on.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #5

I carry a few spares and a short length of pvc pipe that just fits over them to seat a new one properly. Beating them on won't work.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

It does nothing functionally and only keeps dirt and dust from the cap area, which is on the "dirty" side of the assembly. If you wipe out the excess grease, it shouldn't make a big mess but you could also just put some duct tape over the opening if you like.

Dave
Old 06-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #7

Duct tape it is! Thank you everyone.
Fdnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:55 AM   #8

I had one fly off and I had duct tape. I didn't have anything like acetone to clean it and the tape wouldn't begin to stick. So duct tape really isn't a solution. Carrying a spare and a short pvc pipe is easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Redline-Lube-...s%2C223&sr=8-2
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #9

I found one was sunrot and had a hole in it.
Took the wheel off 1 week after driving it home in a rain storm.outside bearing got water in it and was TOASTED. Inspect regularly!
Pdx camper is offline   Reply With Quote