Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I would say that 30' is pushing the limits of what you can comfortably tow with a 1 ton pickup. More than that you should consider a 5th wheel.
Have you ever towed a 30' TT with a 1 ton truck?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #16

Quote:
I would say that 30' is pushing the limits of what you can comfortably tow with a 1 ton pickup. More than that you should consider a 5th wheel.

Are you really saying that 30’ is too big for a 1 ton?
Wow! We are unimpressed more and more with each comment that you make.
Molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
3' 8" less than the model I really like. It is nice looking though.
Do you think that extra 3 ft and change would make life more difficult?
Yep.

As with everything RV, it's all about compromise and usage. When shopping for a new TT last year I had a firm 25' max line in the sand. ....yes, there were bigger ones with more "stuff" but it was nothing we needed. Our usage is 95% boondocking and mostly just for 3-4 days at a time. My wife found larger ones she liked (as most wives tend to do!) but I stuck to my guns and we bought our ORV 21RBS which is 24' 10" ball to bumper. Couldn't be happier with our choice.

Now, if we had kids camping with us or planned on staying in the trailer for extended periods of time, then I'd probably compromise on my self imposed size limitation; no right answer for everyone.

What I do see often is people looking for affirmation to go as big as possible but I'd suggest that often, "less is more" making camping less stressful and it also has a positive impact on traveling and towing, particularly as people tend to push the limits of their tow vehicles as well.

Honestly, if I was looking at a bumper pull TT over 28' or so overall length, I'd probably start looking at fifth wheels.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 06-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #18

If you really want to boondock, keep your trailer as short as you can comfortably tolerate. Many sites are very tight -- for example, this one (below) was on the Salmon River near Stanley, Idaho. And if we'd had a 20 foot trailer, we never could have fit the trailer into the site.

But "comfortable" is a very subjective word. We are perfectly happy in a 12 foot box, for weeks at a time. Most folks would find that claustrophobic. It's a balancing act.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #19

Doesn’t it all depend on how you use your RV?
We’re hardly ever inside our RV. We use it to sleep, carry our stuff, and poop. We don’t cook in it, and don’t watch much tv. So for us, 25ft is plenty big for 2. This summer may test our limits of small living when we embark on a six week excursion. But I don’t think so. After we have breakfast, we’re gone seeing stuff, antiquing, hiking, bike riding, etc. until its time to come “home” and fire up the Blackstone for dinner, and sit outside reading and enjoying wine. Evening finds us by the firepit. We enjoy this style of RVing. Bigger could be better, but probably not much. Not saying it’s for everyone.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #20

When the tow vehicle can not control it. When the tail starts to wag the dog. When you post asking what is wrong that your F-150 won't tow your 36' 9,000lb trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
When the tow vehicle can not control it. When the tail starts to wag the dog. When you post asking what is wrong that your F-150 won't tow your 36' 9,000lb trailer.
This.

Dave
Old 06-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Yep.

As with everything RV, it's all about compromise and usage. When shopping for a new TT last year I had a firm 25' max line in the sand. ....yes, there were bigger ones with more "stuff" but it was nothing we needed. Our usage is 95% boondocking and mostly just for 3-4 days at a time. My wife found larger ones she liked (as most wives tend to do!) but I stuck to my guns and we bought our ORV 21RBS which is 24' 10" ball to bumper. Couldn't be happier with our choice.

Now, if we had kids camping with us or planned on staying in the trailer for extended periods of time, then I'd probably compromise on my self imposed size limitation; no right answer for everyone.

What I do see often is people looking for affirmation to go as big as possible but I'd suggest that often, "less is more" making camping less stressful and it also has a positive impact on traveling and towing, particularly as people tend to push the limits of their tow vehicles as well.

Honestly, if I was looking at a bumper pull TT over 28' or so overall length, I'd probably start looking at fifth wheels.

2 cents,
Dave
The Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RLS is a little bigger but is very nice inside
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
The Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RLS is a little bigger but is very nice inside
It's a nice trailer but I wouldn't call it a "little bigger" at 4' longer and 2845lbs more GVWR. 28'8" long and 9995 lbs gross.....it's a big unit.

Dave
Old 06-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #24

Some are happy with a small space, some need lots of room. Some need lots of stuff, some are more minimalistic.

One thing for sure there is pro’s and con’s to each. Balance approach is where I strive to be.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #25

Sometimes I think my apex Nano is too big. 22 feet. If I knew what I know now..... no slide, manual awning and a little shorter. And of course a kick ass solar -battery set up. We enjoy state campsites better then the carnival atmosphere of the resort campgrounds.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #26

I know it is not a direct answer to your question about which unit but more of how to find the answer.

A pick up camper can fit into spots that a 12' TT can not. A 12' TT will fit into spots a 20' TT can not. You get the idea. Everyone has what works best for them. Life is too short to spend a lot of time with an RV that you are not happy with. There are always plenty of spots, maybe just not the exact ones you want.

If there are specific sites you want to get to then you need to know if there are any length restrictions.

We also mainly boondock. Last year we spent about 100 nights out, the year before only about half of that because of my other job. Before that we did have a different kind of RV but did not use it like we do now. So far we have spent almost 30 days in our RV and we are 2 days out from a 6 week trip.

I was about 60' long and now we are about 70' long. I know space can vary by region, but in the PNW I have no problems finding locations to boondock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDT Combo.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	331672  
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I know it is not a direct answer to your question about which unit but more of how to find the answer.

A pick up camper can fit into spots that a 12' TT can not. A 12' TT will fit into spots a 20' TT can not. You get the idea. Everyone has what works best for them. Life is too short to spend a lot of time with an RV that you are not happy with. There are always plenty of spots, maybe just not the exact ones you want.

If there are specific sites you want to get to then you need to know if there are any length restrictions.

We also mainly boondock. Last year we spent about 100 nights out, the year before only about half of that because of my other job. Before that we did have a different kind of RV but did not use it like we do now. So far we have spent almost 30 days in our RV and we are 2 days out from a 6 week trip.

I was about 60' long and now we are about 70' long. I know space can vary by region, but in the PNW I have no problems finding locations to boondock.
I have seen people tow their 5th wheel with semi trucks like yours. The truck has plenty of power, but the truck suspension is so stiff, it will tear the 5th wheel hitch and framework off.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #28

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
I agree with looking at a 5th wheel. New lite weight models that are 1/2 ton towable. We full time in a 33' TT. A 26' 5th wheel provides a lot.

Best of luck.
Buzzman60 is offline   Reply With Quote