Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #29

Actually there ARE smaller trailers with 2 seating areas and lots of counter space.

Our 22 foot Grand Design Imagine 17MKE Has dual full reclining theater seats, another full size couch when the Queen Size Murphy bed is stowed, some 10 ft of counter space, and more drawers and cabinets than we can fill.
Honestly for 2 people pluse 2 large dogs, we can't imagine needing a single additional inch of trailer size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I tow a 31' TT with a 3500 Ram CTD CC LB and 95% of the time have zero issues finding a spot. We do a variety of CG's from st parks, RV parks, County parks and Forest Service types to dispersed camping.
Can we fit in everywhere? No. But when we're setup we have the comfort that we want. Do I wish our TT was shorter. Only when towing is certain conditions but those conditions are only a fraction of overall use.
There's really no one size fits all TT. It's always a compromise somewhere.

Another factor in the equation is truck length. Our truck is 22' long. Getting a short bed shortens that to 20'6". Doesn't seem like much but it will help a lot when backing into sites where the front of the truck needs to swing around.

For us having two seating areas and lots of counter space were #1 on our priority list.
Can't get that in a short TT.
pauldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
The extra 4' won't make any difference.

If you have the truck to pull it safely, go big. You won't regret it. Our TT is 32' on the box, 36' overall. We mostly boondocks and have had, zero problems. The small number of times we have used it in campgrounds we have always found a spot. We have had this trailer for almost 6 years, bought new in 2015.
PHX4253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #31

Totally agree with this comment. We got a 35' cause that was what most State Parks will allow. Didn't realize there were only a few spots per park.
douginpoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #32

There are several web sites that list national or state parks and the length of RV allowed, some include the toad or TV.

Depending on what web site you look on:
"Generally speaking, the best RV lengths for national parks are between 12 and 25 feet."

From the web site https://camperreport.com/best-rv-len...ational-parks/

"National Park RV Campsite Length Averages
RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that donít allow RVs at all and are tent only.
RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #33

My trailer is between 26-27' long.
Once my trailer barely fit into a state park space, another foot and forget it.
Once an overpass I had to go under to get into a commercial campground was pretty low, had less than 6" of clearance. Taller tires and I would have had to go somewhere else.
Otherwise, no problems.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #34

We have a 32í toy hauler travel trailer that we haul with a Dodge 2500. We also like National, State, County, and COE campgrounds over RV parks.

Some considerations for you. We have been able to stay inside every (over 25) National Parks except Mt. Rainer. Most will have large enough sites but you need to reserve very early. I canít remember any other campgrounds run by the other entries where we couldnít fit.

If you boondock often you should also take a hard look at fresh water and waste water tank capacity. With 100 gals of fresh, 80 gals Gray, and 40 gals black we can easily stay a week without any hookups.

Best of luck with your decision.
linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #35

30í is not too long for 1 ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I would say that 30' is pushing the limits of what you can comfortably tow with a 1 ton pickup. More than that you should consider a 5th wheel.
Iíll have to disagree also.
My TT is 32í and Iíve been towing it with a 3/4 ton truck for years without any problems. With a one ton truck I could easily go to a bigger TT without concerns of overloading the truck!
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
There are several web sites that list national or state parks and the length of RV allowed, some include the toad or TV.

Depending on what web site you look on:
"Generally speaking, the best RV lengths for national parks are between 12 and 25 feet."

From the web site https://camperreport.com/best-rv-len...ational-parks/

"National Park RV Campsite Length Averages
RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that donít allow RVs at all and are tent only.
RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds
RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds
Keep in mind theses numbers are a little mis-leading. There are often less than a half dozen sites which will fit those maximum lengths. And of those, many will be taken by the campground hosts. And then some of the remaining may be first come-first serve. So you could be looking at only a few reservable sites per park.

Additionally, just because a campground in a park has a campground that will fit your rig, that doesnít necessarily follow that that will be the campground where youíd want to camp.

Personally, I think the best trailer size for everyone else is 30+ feet. That way I can have all those smaller sites to myself. Hint: my 40í rig can fit in a 50í spot if I like the spot, but a 50í rig canít take a 40í spot if the 40í spot is nicer.
shane_the_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
I have seen people tow their 5th wheel with semi trucks like yours. The truck has plenty of power, but the truck suspension is so stiff, it will tear the 5th wheel hitch and framework off.
It is more than just the power that makes it so much better. The stopping is better, the comfort is better, the maintenance is better, the capacity is better, the fuel range is better, and I could go on. Older trucks with springs can be very rough, but that is one reason they make air ride hitches. There are more than just a few people that use HDT for RVing.

We are on our way to the West Coast HDT rally with 50 trucks coming and a huge waiting list. There is also an East Coast and National HDT rally. There is tons and tons of info and resources on the topic of HDT.

My air rid suspension in my truck and my air ride hitch do just fine. I was also able to remove almost 1,500 lbs of weight from my trailer moving the SxS onto the deck.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #38

33'3" TT here and tow just fine with a 1-ton . If you are still enamored with pulling a 30' plus TT with the six cylinder GM diesel on a 1/2 ton, all bets are off, but....

The few state parks I've hit in my home state of AZ have been no problem with my rig. We are more 'glampers' however and not into boondocking.

Our trailer is a triple slide (one is just a wardrobe slide) with 2 seating areas and a king bed. We love the floor plan and it is extremely comfortable for the wife and I and a couple of small dogs on long trips.

My main issue with this size trailer is pulling it with a gasser - it's sometimes a PITA gassing up. I typically hit up Pilot's or Flying J's, but depending on traffic, even these can be a hassle getting in and out. Recommend finding stations with gas RV lanes.....or you could always go diesel (3/4 - 1 T, that is).
Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #39

We just ordered a Jayco Jay Flight SLX8 237RBSW TT. Total length 26'. Trying the downsizing route. Sold the Class A 38'. Just bought a used but new to me 2019 Ram 1500, 5.7 395hp, crew, SB, 392's, 13kmi. Shorter is cool if the floorplan fits you. Ordered in March, still waiting but worth the wait. Have fun with the search.
Charlie_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I would say that 30' is pushing the limits of what you can comfortably tow with a 1 ton pickup. More than that you should consider a 5th wheel.
I tow with a Ford Excursion. We used to own a Heartland 29RLS which is 35 feet overall, And used to tow our Jayco 33RLDS 35.6 feet overall and the only problem we had was going from 1400 feet to 7000 feet, Truck would slow down Did not have any other problems at all. On the interstate truck would stay right 62-63 mph. Got 8-10 mpg. The tail never wagged the dog. We tow a 31 foot Jayco now and the only thing difference is this trailer is 3000 pounds lighter.
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
If you don't take into account price or towing capacity and just look at convenience / enjoyment vs difficult to get into a park / towing, at what size do you just say no, this travel trailer is too big for me?
That's really a personal decision.
It's only too big if it can't be towed/stopped/parked safely. Other than that, If I were single again - I could be happy in a truck mounted camper, or a 40' fiver. But that's just me. Think on this:
Do you park and enjoy, or do you park and pull out 1000 lbs of bbq, chairs, bug zappers, pop-ups, firepit, and other toys?
Do you entertain?
Are you hiding from the law?
Is this your first?
Can your truck comfortably pull either one?

Have a beer, think on these for an hour or so. Then flip a coin. Before it hits the floor - ask yourself - which one am I hoping for?

Cheers!
John
Old 06-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #42

My 39í 5th wheel seems about right for us.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote