Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 07:54 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
So plain and simple answer is that a properly loaded trailer will not sway to the extent of going out of control and crashing. No need for WDH or Sway control hitches, BUT for those that are not aware, or don't seem to care, get something to save you and others from danger.
Have you ever wondered why buying U-Haul insurance is optional?
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
No need for WDH or Sway control hitches, BUT for those that are not aware, or don't seem to care, get something to save you and others from danger.
Yeah, that is why I always run a sway and WDH on my 24,000lb truck with 3 axles pulling a single axle 3500 GVW trailer. I don't want to be a risk to everyone and everything.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:30 AM   #31

It’s not a binary answer. WDH’s can be problem solvers. We have used them when required. But certainly smaller properly loaded combos don’t need or benefit from them. And many of us pulling with SUV’s nowadays simply can’t use them as the manufacturer specifically recommends against them.

Like I say. There’s no binary answer.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
It’s not a binary answer. WDH’s can be problem solvers. We have used them when required. But certainly smaller properly loaded combos don’t need or benefit from them. And many of us pulling with SUV’s nowadays simply can’t use them as the manufacturer specifically recommends against them.

Like I say. There’s no binary answer.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #33

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
I'm starting to see folks complaining about the stress placed on the trailer tongues with a WDH and how the frames are starting to crack. I certainly wouldn't want to force more weight on an already inferior 1/8 inch frame, even with the proper load displacement.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Don't know what year the OP's F350 SRW is but according to Fords tow guide a 2021 F350 SRW 6.7 can have 2100 lbs W/O WDH. The gas F350 only allows 1500 lbs W/O WDH. Both still way above what a 7800 GVWR TT would have for tongue weight.
But....as always, a cat scale is your best friend. You need to know what the actual weight of the trailer is and how much is being transferred off the front wheels. You also have to consider what else you have in the truck. Example: my trailer is 7034# and 941# Tongue weight unloaded. Loaded its 7600# and 1020# tongue weight. But I also carry 200# in the bed. That's effectively like having a 1220# tongue weight. Now if I had an 800# atv in the bed that would make a huge differnce. We also just have two people but a family of 5 = more people and more stuff.

In all probability an F350 won't end up needing a WDH but it's all guess work until you put it on a scale. Load up truck and trailer as you would for a trip, then weigh just the truck, then weigh the truck and trailer together. Then do some math. It's quick and easy and takes the guessing out of it.
DRAGN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #35

I see no reason a truck that size with that trailer would need a WDH. In fact, it may ride better without it. It sounds like you've already determined thru real world experience you don't need one.

I tow my 6,500 pound boat with my 2500 Suburban with no WDH. I tow my flatbed trailer with excavation equipment loaded up to 16,000 pounds with my GM duallys with no WDH. I rented a 28' travel trailer this summer and towed it from VA to TX and back with no WDH using my '22 GMC dually.
All trailer towed very nice, ride very nice, don't sway or anything.

Many years ago I pulled a 1985 24' trailer with a 1996 Dodge 1500. I did both need and use a WDH with that combo.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
Towing boats is easily different than towing a TT. While boats often have windage, it is rarely as much as a TT. There are notable exceptions such as our 16,000# Willard 30.

teh 04' F350 PSD 4x$ SB pictured above was the first truck we towed a TT with. We never towed a TT without a W/D hitch. Our first TT was an old Holiday Rambler; 27FKCB at 7,000#. Sweet.

Next was a brand new HR 29' FKS at 10,000#. No serious problems, but it could tell it wanted to push the truck around on narrrow, winding mountain roads. So, we installed a Hensley Hitch. Sweet.
Next was an HR 32FKD at 12,000# using the Hensley. Drove through a major storm in Saskatchewan with ease.
Next was a Beaver Patriot towing a Ford Explorer. Easy peasy, but not a TT.

Back to TT's . . .
An Arctic Fox 29V behind a Chevy K2500HD Duramax crewcab SB. Tried both the usual WS hitch with sway bars, then a Hensley, and finally a Pull Rite 2K hitch.

No matter what we did, the Chevy/Arctic Fox combo never played nicely with each other.

Sold both, bought a Ram 3500 and switched to 5th wheels, and never looked back.

Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rankin View Post
Sold both, bought a Ram 3500 and switched to 5th wheels, and never looked back.
I've been thinking about this but everywhere I go, I still need cargo hauling capacity. So if not my Extended E350 as my tow vehicle, then I need a DRW Grumman stepvan, or an E450 DRW bus. Maybe if my tow vehicle's GVWR was upwards of 14,000# I could also shed the WDH.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:57 AM   #38

I'm pretty "over trucked" with my 2500 and a 7500 lb max trailer, but I still need the WD hitch. I tried towing without it once and got too much bouncing.
But no sway.
So I'll stick with the WDH
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Anyway...I jumped online this morning and was looking at an RV weight calculator to calculate maximum numbers for safely pulling. It said that ALL bumper pulls should have a WDS and the results of the calculator take one in account.
Soooo...what say you? Should all bumper pulls have a WDS and antisway?
Most (not all) weight calculators or advice I see on the net are usually from a rv newby with a blog who may have pulled a couple of rv trailers or even their first rv trailer. Those types need a one ton drw or class 8 tractor to pull a small any type of trailer
You already proved to yourself no need for a WD system with your F350 srw pulling your 7800 lb TT.

But if a WD hitch makes you feel better then use it ....or sell it on CL to someone who actually needs one.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post

that is a well written article......but not accurate. i always get a kick out of those articles that start out by stating Best Weight Distribution Hitches or best travel trailers or best toyhaulers etc etc. most of the are well written and include very helpful info but they are all miss titled. we know this, in the case of this article, soley because the author didn't include hensley or pro pride. hensley and pro pride should be at the top of the list, as they are hands down, the best wdh/sway control systems on the market. they are also the most expensive and not sold on amazon. for that reason, i would be willing to bet that's why they were not listed as the author doesn't make any money from his affiliate amazon links.

out of all the rv dealerships i have been in, i have never found any, top of the line, fifthwheel or wdh systems offered or displayed. they have all been the $800 and under systems, and of course, they all had claimed they were top of the line systems at $800. been told this by saleman a number of times, and thats when i asked why they didn't carry air ride fifthwheel hitch's or projection hitches from hensly or pro pride. maybe one or two actually had heard of hensley or pro pride but none had heard of air ride fifthwheel hitch's. hensley and pro pride are in the range of $3k to $3500 and air ride fifthwheel hitchs are $2k to $3500. understandably, most are looking for cheaper systems, which is why harbor freight sells wdh systems. i know that the op isn't asking about fiver hitchs but it was relevant to the selection at dealerships.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:34 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
that is a well written article......but not accurate. i always get a kick out of those articles that start out by stating Best Weight Distribution Hitches or best travel trailers or best toyhaulers etc etc. most of the are well written and include very helpful info but they are all miss titled. we know this, in the case of this article, soley because the author didn't include hensley or pro pride. hensley and pro pride should be at the top of the list, as they are hands down, the best wdh/sway control systems on the market. they are also the most expensive and not sold on amazon. for that reason, i would be willing to bet that's why they were not listed as the author doesn't make any money from his affiliate amazon links.

out of all the rv dealerships i have been in, i have never found any, top of the line, fifthwheel or wdh systems offered or displayed. they have all been the $800 and under systems, and of course, they all had claimed they were top of the line systems at $800. been told this by saleman a number of times, and thats when i asked why they didn't carry air ride fifthwheel hitch's or projection hitches from hensly or pro pride. maybe one or two actually had heard of hensley or pro pride but none had heard of air ride fifthwheel hitch's. hensley and pro pride are in the range of $3k to $3500 and air ride fifthwheel hitchs are $2k to $3500. understandably, most are looking for cheaper systems, which is why harbor freight sells wdh systems. i know that the op isn't asking about fiver hitchs but it was relevant to the selection at dealerships.
I find that there are many dealerships that operate unethically, selling RVs to people who have no idea how to handle them on public roads when adverse weather and traffic conditions persist. Before the state would issue my conceal carry permit, I had to take and pass a safety skills test. Why don’t we have this for the RV industry? Before I bought my Glock 43X, I went to the shooting range and rented 10 different handguns. I shot all before I bought one. Why don’t RV dealers offer travel trailer test drives with the owner’s tow vehicle? Then, the new RVer will make a decision based upon knowledge and better understanding of the skills required, not just a dream of RV ownership. There is more truth in Robin Williams’ RV movie than most want to admit.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #42

Who cares what I think?

Well I'm going to tell you anyway. When I travel shot distances I never hookup anything extra. Many years ago I had a ski boat that broke off the hitch at the ball, fortunate for me the chains kept it from going far adrift.

When using a WDH I have three connection points between trailer and truck. Having three points gives me security and WD to my truck. Sway control is something I really appreciate as we almost always travel where eighteen wheel vehicles buzz past me, I still get a little jerk but it's much less than without.

I think sway control and WDH are added benefits to towing security.

Tags
sway, weight