Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #1

When is a weight Distribution or Sway Control not helpful?

First year owning a TT but towed boats my whole life. I have a F350 Diesel SWR. Bought a bumper pull 26ft TT rated at 7800lbs loaded. It came with a WDS and anti sway bar.
Ok...I took off for a 15,000 mile trip from South Florida to Alaska. When I got to Tennessee, I dropped a WDS bar. It was the one that enters from the bottom and snaps into place. Anyway...I panicked and I got online and started asking what kind of new one should I buy. Long story short, a very experienced RV'er told me with my truck and the weight of the TT, I would be wasting my money and that possibly, I could be making things worse because I don't want to take anymore weight off my rear end and transfer it to the front. I then looked up an article and basically said that if the TT weighs less than 50% of Trucks weight distribution rating, then a WDS or antisway is not needed.
Sooo...I continued on my trip and I couldn't tell any difference. I experienced 4 days of sustained 40mph winds with crosswinds gusting to 80 mph in South Dakota. This was in May this year. No sway. I then figured that was a good test and decided it a WDS would be a waste of money.
Anyway...I jumped online this morning and was looking at an RV weight calculator to calculate maximum numbers for safely pulling. It said that ALL bumper pulls should have a WDS and the results of the calculator take one in account.
Soooo...what say you? Should all bumper pulls have a WDS and antisway?
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Read this: https://www.smartrving.net/best-weig...ution-hitches/
Old 11-25-2022, 10:29 AM   #3

IMO if you're trailer is balanced properly and designed properly you shouldn't need a WDH.
Factors like a really heavy TT would IMO constitute a WDH.
Something that I think gets overlooked is most people have no idea how their TT tows without a WDH because they leave the dealers lot with one installed. They then go on to say it tows great with WDH so everyone needs one. I would bet that the majority of TT's would probably tow fine without a WDH but owners never find out because they won't try it without one.

FWIW my son has a 29' Nash that weighs right around 6500 lbs. I have towed it back and forth from my place to his which consists of about 5 miles freeway and 3 miles secondary. My tow vehicle is a 19 Ram 3500 CC LB diesel. I just drop the couple on the ball without adding his spring bars. It tracks perfectly with zero wiggle. If I did anything it would be to use the round bars to take a little of the up and down out when hitting road undulations.
My TT on the other hand is 31' and 9600 lbs loaded. No way will I tow it without a WDH. It's a load in adverse conditions.

The other thing is are you really towing 7800lbs? You're rated at 7800 lb. Thats the GVWR. You aren't towing that. I could certainly see not needing one with your TT. Sometimes logic gets in the way of common sense.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #4

I towed a 7,000lb travel trailer with a dually. I don't think a WD hitch or sway control would help. The trailer did not sway at all that I felt.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Never had a problem towing without one, even towing a Bobcat loader on a tandem car trailer behind a 1/2 ton.

It’s all about how you are loaded and hitch weight.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The other thing is are you really towing 7800lbs? You're rated at 7800 lb. Thats the GVWR. You aren't towing that. I could certainly see not needing one with your TT. Sometimes logic gets in the way of common sense.
I'm not sure. I just assumed I am close since that is the loaded rating on my TT. But yes...I don't know.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:19 PM   #7

If you are “payload challenged”, a WDH is a godsend. My WDH moves over 100# of tongue weight from the tv rear axle to the front axle and about 50# to the trailer axles. And that can make the difference between a good and safe tow, and a bad tow. There are those who will say you just need a bigger truck. I say baloney. A properly balanced TT with a bit too much tongue weight for the tow vehicle’s rear axle, can be a dream with a wdh. And if you get a WDH with built in sway control, all the merrier. Without a WDH, I would not be able to comfortably tow my TT. The only other option would be to get a truck with more payload. You’ll appreciate the built-in anti sway when you get smacked by 30mph crosswinds. I don’t care what anybody else says, in crosswinds I would feel totally unsafe without anti-sway. I remove my WDH bars when on FS roads or very difficult roads where I might engage 4wd.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Driveaway

The Driveaway contractors who deliver travel trailers to dealerships do not use WDH. The end user (purchaser) might experience different outcomes especially if loaded for long trips.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:26 PM   #9

If your weight is distributed correctly then you do not need an additional device for that......

I have never used one either. I have also never towed a huge trailer with a small vehicle.

My bother needs a WDH when puling his trailer with his truck. When I pull his trailer with my truck, I do not.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #10

I would check owners manual for truck to see at what weight they recommend a wdh instead of recomdations on a forum.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:28 AM   #11

A bigger truck usually works.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A bigger truck usually works.
True, maybe we all need to go to a Volvo class * semi-tractor.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
True, maybe we all need to go to a Volvo class * semi-tractor.
Or just get a motorhome and don't worry about WDH.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
I would check owners manual for truck to see at what weight they recommend a wdh instead of recomdations on a forum.
Don't know what year the OP's F350 SRW is but according to Fords tow guide a 2021 F350 SRW 6.7 can have 2100 lbs W/O WDH. The gas F350 only allows 1500 lbs W/O WDH. Both still way above what a 7800 GVWR TT would have for tongue weight.

Tags
sway, weight