Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #29

I have a 2 foot level. I put in on the bumper
To see if i need a board or 2 under the tires.
Then i put in on the floor inside the door
For front to back level..its really a matter of close
Enough for the fridge and fryingpan.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #30

My refrigerator is on the passenger's side of my coach while my bathroom door is on the driver's side. If I open either the refrigerator or bathroom door and they stay put without swinging open or closed on their own, I'm level.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Level.....that is for fridge operation
Use level on fridge frame/freezer floor etc

***Comfortably level is the standard
Level enough that you are comfortable walking, sleeping etc
Set glass half full of water on counter and eyeball it
Tilted...not level
Close...level enough
Yep! I was taught some 40 something years ago that the absorption refrigerator was the main reason for leveling. I've kept a bubble level in all of my rigs ever since. Placing the level in the freezer floor definitely get's it about perfect but in all actuality, is probably a bit overkill on newer units these days.

Our rig is over 18 years old. First thing I did when we got it was to place the bubble level inside the freezer, level the rig to center that bubble, then adjust a separate bubble level that's mounted at the driver's seat to match. I have checked a time or two since but so far have not had to ever do any re-adjusting.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #32

If the bathroom door doesn't open or close itself were level
daryl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #33

I use an electronic 3 axis level sensor in front floor and rear floor.
If they show a difference, then the chassis is twisted and needs to be rectified before moving slides in or out.

Some day I'll integrate that into the auto leveling system to replace the single sensor (front under floor) that it uses.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Like post 14 said level the refrigerator. them install your out sided levels
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #35

we are new to RVing and recently bought our Class A used so we don't have any experience with what the level situation was when new.

There is an "Auto" level with our rig, but we've found that the slide for the master bed tends to "sag" about an inch off level. We noticed this when sleeping on our bed the first night, our heads felt sunken down, so I placed a level on the counter top of the slide and sure enough it wasn't level. Since then we've switched to "Manual" mode after using the "Auto" level and then raise the driver side of the rig until our level is centered on the master slide which takes priority over the rest of the rig.

What's nice is that all of doors have a natural tendency to close themselves with this configuration making it a win-win for us, ha!
bill_delong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #36

There are three pages of comments about leveling or what's level. I haven't seen anyone comment about the accuracy of the level (tool) used. I have found mid-priced levels in stores that were not accurate and I doubt most RVers buy the expensive ones. I'm sure some do. Check them there before purchasing them to make sure.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #37

I get different reading everywhere I put my level. My bride checks level with a can on it's side on the kitchen counter.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #38

I make sure my frig is level, or very, very, close. First front back on the freezer frame, then left and right on the freezer floor. I use a 9 inch Johnson metal frame level. Not cheap but accurate.

I've found my countertop next to the fridge reads the same, so that's where I use it. I've also used my Iphone level app. It's within 1 degree of the bubble level. Close enough.

Trying to get everything perfect will drive you crazy unless you want to use 1/2 inch shims on the leveling blocks. Then wait for the ground to settle.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
Thinking the frame of the trailer would be a good indicator of level I epoxied a small level to it. After a few uses it became evident that the bed, fridge, kitchen table, floor were not level with the front of the trailer frame. The difference was at least an inch of ball coupler height. No the frame is not bent, as far as I can tell. So time to chisel off the level, and start over. Anyone else have this happen?
TIA
Put a level on the floor. Level the trailer. Turn the level to get front to back. Now that both are done get the small two pack of levels and stick one to the front and one on the side. Done.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
There are three pages of comments about leveling or what's level. I haven't seen anyone comment about the accuracy of the level (tool) used. I have found mid-priced levels in stores that were not accurate and I doubt most RVers buy the expensive ones. I'm sure some do. Check them there before purchasing them to make sure.
I haven't seen a level that wasn't accurate enough for the non critical nature of leveling an RV. The ones that are typical for RV specific usage are the cheapest, cheesiest levels I have seen. But good enough.

The sensors I use are extremely precise. But way overkill. They don't cost any more / less for what I needed electronically for the implementation.

I will guess that if not an RV specific bubble level, then RVrs would buy a level from HomeDepot intended for house building projects. Any of those will be way good enough.

An RV fridge needs to be reasonably level for proper operation, but there is a pretty wide spec that is acceptable. Most people notice that amount of unlevel even without a bubble level. I suspect most that post here are just very particular on degree of level.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #41

level her up

Usually I eyeball it to start. Then I go inside and take my bullseye level and place it on various surfaces until I find one that is close to level. At that point I call it good and crack open a cold one. If the beer slides off the table and hits the floor I know I have more work to do. This method saves alot of time and frustration. Good luck.
BobtheRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #42

Your Refridgerator Door...

... is the ONLY real measure of level.
Cristos is offline   Reply With Quote