Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

I've looked around quite abit and can't seem to find my VIN plate on my 1988 Mallard Sprinter travel trailer. Anybody know where they hide these things?

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

I've looked around quite abit and can't seem to find my VIN plate on my 1988 Mallard Sprinter travel trailer. Anybody know where they hide these things?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #3

usually inside a cabinet.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
On my TT, when you're looking at the outside left (driver's) side wall, it's at the bottom left. I took a picture of it in case I have to refer to it when the TT's not nearby (i.e. in winter storage)
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
usually inside a cabinet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't even think to look there! I just assumed it would be attached to part of the frame. I can't find it on the ouside of the trailer. I'll have to check inside the cabinets next time I'm out there.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #6

On my 1988 Kropf 5th wheel it was tacked welded between the wheels on the frame on the passenger side I think and on my 1998 Alfa 5th wheel it is stamped on the back side of the pin box, the part that is welded to the frame. Of course when I went to register it in 2003 I could not find it and DMV went with the sticker in the compartment in the kitchen.

Paul
Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #7

Sounds like they stick these VIN plates where ever they feel like it! You would think they'd have some sort of standard location where they would put them like cars do.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedGuy:
Sounds like they stick these VIN plates where ever they feel like it! You would think they'd have some sort of standard location where they would put them like cars do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
On newer 5th wheels they've pretty well standardized on the left (road side) front of the body, based on the last 3 5th wheels we've owned.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Is it by any chance stamped on the tongue? If the tongue has been painted, especially if it's been painted several times, it might be covered up requiring removal of the paint.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
RedGuy:

If you're still at a loss for finding the VIN number, why don't you try contacting Fleetwood (they make Mallard). Surely they'd know where they put it on your TT.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LindaH:
Is it by any chance stamped on the tongue? If the tongue has been painted, especially if it's been painted several times, it might be covered up requiring removal of the paint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are some numbers stamped on the toung, however they all looked like toung info, I'll have to look closer at the toung next time though. I also though that it was a plate???

I looked today through ALL the cabinets, in the wheel wells, and scanned the frame the best I could being that it's parked on gravel I didn't crwl under it today. Still couldn't find a VIN plate anywhere.

Is it normal for them to stamp the vin into the frame? Or could my VIN tag have fallen off?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank P. Martin:
RedGuy:

If you're still at a loss for finding the VIN number, why don't you try contacting Fleetwood (they make Mallard). Surely they'd know where they put it on your TT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is also something that I've heard a couple different versions of. I know Fleetwood now makes Mallard models, but I've heard that Mallard used to be it's own manufacture until 1992? My trailer is a Mallard (Make) Sprinter (Model). Anyone have any info on this?

Also how do you cross link a thread? Perhaps this should be related to the Vintage thread since my trailer is 20 years old?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedGuy:
Also how do you cross link a thread? Perhaps this should be related to the Vintage thread since my trailer is 20 years old? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Done!!

Rusty
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #13

Thanks! I take it this is something that has'd to be done by a moderator?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Yup, it's an administrative function in the forum software.

Rusty